Author Topic: A stunning discovery  (Read 1677 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
So, I'm poking around today in the source and I see these two files named "RBAudio.h" and "RBAudio.cpp"

Me: :wtf:

So I open them and find out that Fs2_open seems to have an entire audio CD-playing API.

700 lines of code that've been completely forgotten by pretty much everyone. :lol:

A few of the functions are empty, based on the comments it looks like it was removed before the source was released.
-C

I can see why we forgot about it...I personally see no use for it...better to have a Winampish jukebox built into the game for MP3s than a CD player methinks, but I suppose there might be some disk overhead to be saved by playing the FS2 soundtrack off of redbook tracks burnt to a CD rather than using the VP music files...but what's the point?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
That functionality is better handled by a standard toolset anyway. It would be trivial (like less than 50 lines of code total) to implement a fairly feature complete CD Player interface under SDL. I can't imagine its any more difficult directly in DirectX. I can see why it was removed.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its probibly left over from descent 2. i bet you compair it with the d2 code its exactly the same.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Dynamic music is better, though I can see us wanting this for, say, the Star Wars mod.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...