Author Topic: Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question  (Read 11492 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Silent Threat: Reborn update, and a question
Green, it always bothered me that the turrets were shivan also :nod:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I would like to point out that I think that FS2-colour-style beams just don't look menacing enough for the Hades, IMO.  

Besides which, do we even have a good reason for the blue / yellow / green colour of GTVA beams, beyond battlefield convention?

If the colour is itself the result of GTVA adaptation, then its possible that this is simply due to modifications as the technology was developed... it could be that the Hades had red beams which were more directly based on Shivan tech, but that as a result of  both its destruction alongside the loss(?) of GTI intel, and that an inherent instability (overheating, power drain, requirement of a rare gas or alloy not found in sufficient quantities for fleet wide use) in the Hades beam tech made it unsuitable for widespread adoption.

Say, for example, that the Hades had to use recovered Shivan alloys in its construction to provide sufficiently strong power routing to its beam weapons - whilst you could get away with this for a single ship, its totally unfeasible for outfitting an entire fleet.

EDIT; also, having beams deliberately designed to look like Shivan / Lucifer ones would be a very effective psychological weapon.

I've chosen the option "other".

The Hades is a hybrid ship, and so I think it should have some new, never seen beam weapons.

I'd prefer some dark violett beams like from the shadow ships of B5, would be pretty cool! And I think, violett beams are looking really dangerous, just dunno why, but I have this impression of these beams :)
Author of Revenge Final Conflict

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
The ship is named Hades!  Its beams should be red, red like the fires of HELL! :devil:
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Actually the violet is a good idea.

It has red in it to show the Shivan heritage, while it also implies the first terran beams to be developed - which are the weak blue AA guns.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Having seen violet beams first hand... don't work very well IMO.  Too light and it's pink, too dark and it's too muted to look impressive.

Then how about indigo? You know, a blue with tinges of purple.

No matter what color it is, I say make its trail resemble the LucyBeam rather than FS2 ones...in other words, no standard full-white core...

Or maybe a rapidly-flickering white beam. That makes sense, the Kayser is reverse engineered Shivan tech and its white, so the Hades beams are reverse engineered shivan tech...and should be white too. So how about WHITE LucyBeams? That works. White should work out nicely.

As for purple guns, give the laser turrets purple projectiles, that should compromise it. Yeah...white LucyBeams and purple/indigo or red Laser Turrets. That ought to do it...

To hell with the fact Inferno gives white beams to the EA, who says future beams are always white? ;)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually Inferno refers to those as "silver" but that's beside the point.  The turrets need to stay red, as the Hades has obviously shivanesque textures already.  Keep it canon on that regard.  The beams, on the other hand, should look similar to the lucifer beams, but weaker.  So maybe a deep red with an orange core, but without a lot of light intensity.  Basically more like a beamified shivan red blob than a FS2 beam.  Don't make it FS2 Terran, as that doesn't fit.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
"Other"

i think that the beams should work like FS2 beams, not like that missile type flux cannon. Coz that could kinda explain how beams got into FS2.

Also i remember someone made a lucifer beam that worked just like the normal terran/shivan beams. there was 2 versions and had a range of 30km / 8km. It might be a good idea to use that, or modify it.

Offline Solatar

They ARE using beams, not fs1 Shivan Super Lasers. That's why they're trying to decide what to do with them.:)

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
oh, ok.

then just use those beams that i mentioned before