Author Topic: Well it's been fun  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The Orpheus Project:
During the second Shivan incursion, advanced fighters like the Erynies proved very efficient against this terrible enemy. But the Erynies was also a rushed design: very expensive, difficult to maintain, and with several design flaws. Two other fighters competited for the Erynies place at that time but, because of the time constraints, the Erynies was put to service as it was the first one to have a completed flight pattern and service status. As the war reached its end, the GTVA decided to give a boost to the Orpheus project. The Erynies was finally discarded after a series of fatal accidents and complaints of SOC pilots about its poor dogfighting ability. The two other prototypes, on the other end, went, during all that time, through a whole refinement, and became up to the required standards for the Multirole Orpheus Fighter Project:

Senecal Hydrospace Ezechiel C

The Ezechiel is the first try at spaceships for Senecal Hydrospace, a company specialized in submarines and surface ships, but they were implcatied in spaceship industry already, they've been the manufacturers for most subspace drives for most light spaceships up to date, and have the proud heritage of being the ones who built the subspace reading device that helped track the Lucifer on the famous mission which dealt the killing blow to the shivan war machine during the Great War.

The Ezechiel is an surprising mix of old and new technology. Based on a rather commun frame, it features a couple intriguing systems to meet the Orpheus Project directives.
The ship is a rather stocky and heavy fighter. Survivability rates are upped by a very thick armor and very strong shields. If its secondary payload can be considered light even by commun standards, it still packs an awesome punch thanks to eight gunports localized on the two side rails of the ship.
Those rails also serve to reach the speed requirements of the OP. While standard speed is assured thanks to four high velocity deuterium engines that gives it speed almost equal to that of the best interceptors, the ship can reach for short period of times a tremendous speed, thanks to the two side rails ( Subspace Gliding Rail technology ), which basically open localized rifts between space and subspace, where the ship "hook" itself and is dragged by the formidable waves of subspace.
The four deuterium engines are barely enough to provide the vast amount of energy required by the ship, so the SGRs also "tap" into subspace while in afterburner mode to provide the extra punch needed. This technology was possible only tanks to Senecal expertise into the subspace technology fields, and advancement on shivan technology retro-engineering.

Ezechiel pretest summary:
pros:
-very good armour and shield
-excellent top speed and acceleration
-exceptional primary coverage
-very good energy input/output ratio
-easy to maintain

cons:
-average secondary payload
-average normal speed
-heavy -> average maneuvrability
-expensive

Shinohara Incorporated Vampire
Like Senecal's Ezechiel, the Vampire is the first attempt for Shinohara to build a space fighter. Shinohara is most famous for its successful range of atmospheric fighters.
Shinohara's take on the OP is radically different than Senecal's one.
The Vampire is a extract of cutting edge technology, packed in a surprisingly aerodynamical shape for a spaceborn fighter.
The fighter makes great use of the knowledge acquired from the shivans.
Exit the standard deuterium engines, the Vampire is powered by subspace tapping engines. The most visible aspect of that real revolution in spaceship design is the complete disparition of the regular rockets and verniers used on 100% of the terran and vasudan ships up till now. Both propulsion and spatial controls are assured thanks to the various wave emiters positioned all around the ship. This allows superior maneuvrability and speed for the Vampire, even tho it's heavier than the Ezechiel. The speed gain with afterburners on, tho is much less impressive, but the ship can maitain AB on for much longer. All in all, both ships, at max speed, can cover a dozen mile in the same time range.
The Vampire, thanks to the WE technology, displays unique 3 dimension motion habilities similar to those witnessed on several shivan ships.
Compared to the Ezechiel, the secondary payload is better, but still not better than standard. The ship features 6 gunports, but the energy distribution to the weapons is more optimized, which allows for a virtually continous stream of fire, while the Ezechie pilot will have to give some time for the reactors to recharge after a long strafing run.
Hulls and armours are also inferior to the Ezechiel, but in counterpart, the unusal design gives the Vampire almost stealth-like habilities, making it virtually invisible for radars at long range.

Vampire pre-test summary:
Pros:
-Exceptional maneuvrability
-Excellent top speed and acceleration
-Standard secondary payload
-limited stealth hability

Cons:
-very expensive
-can be difficult to maitain if supplies run low
-average shields and armour
-good primary capacity, but inferior to that of the Ezechiel
-large

The whole project went through some terrible hardships, and events happening in it's test system have still not been disclosed, and remain classified level Omega. The location and name of the test system remain unknown, as are the events that led to the loss of the original Vampire prototype. There was an outcome, tho, as the Ezechiel was finally chosen. It is said that the Vampire was finally chosen by the SOC, tho, and while the Ezechiel will join the regular GTVA fleets soon, the Vampire has now started new benchmarks on behalf of the SOC commandement.

FILES ( wheeeee! ):
Ezechiel ( pof+maps, lacks some pof data, like docking points )
http://www.swooh.com/premium/venom/fs+/ezechiel.zip

Vampire ( pof, no lods nor debris yet, lacks some pof data )
http://www.swooh.com/premium/venom/fs+/Vampire.zip
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 04:18:05 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
That's way too pretty, Venom, er Nico.

It's been great seeing all your work all these years. You've left lots of good things in your wake. 'Luck. :)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
see ya around, Venom! don't forget to drop buy very once in a while when you have time.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Feel free to release that space station I modeled too, if you want. :p
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Those two fighters are great! Downloading ....
I would rather fly the second one, it sounds to be a better fighter.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Is that for Inferno?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No it's for download.

I'm still working on the Perseus Advanced version.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Yes, I noticed is was for download. :)
Why can't it be for both Inferno and the public for download?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Zeek is beautiful as always, but i don't like the Vampire... shapes nice, texture looks a little plain to me.

(yeah, like nico would give a **** if he's stopped modding :D )

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Speaking of textures, the lights would need some changes.
[EDIT] Or no! If it has glowmaps.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by TopAce
Why can't it be for both Inferno and the public for download?

Because we don't use the Perseus?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by aldo_14
i don't like the Vampire... shapes nice, texture looks a little plain to me.

Since the map is a 20 minutes job, it's no wonder. It has no painting ( wanted to go for a dirtied F22 color scheme ), no logos, nothing. Obviously it'll be plain ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Styxx
Feel free to release that space station I modeled too, if you want. :p

Do I sense a tiny little bit of annoyance there? :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Can someone make a version of that hi-poly Perseus without the cockpit?

It looks a bit odd being the only fighter having one :wtf:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
Do I sense a tiny little bit of annoyance there? :p

Nah, not really. But since he's releasing those models, he can release the station too - I don't have the textured version.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Cabbie

I'm just a newbie but I'm a huge fan of your work specially what you did to the Perseus. Too bad you are not going to continue with your modeling. Anyway good luck to whatever you plan to do in life :)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Very cool!  The models I mean, tis' truly a tragedy you are leaving.  But as you said, your reasons are you're own.  I myself have contemplated leaving recently, but since I haven't ever contributed anything but trolling it wouldn't be a bad thing.  Anyway, best of luck and Godspeed.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.