Author Topic: Warlock  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Crusade hits shelves Dec. 7th.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline -Norbert-

In ACTA you saw the GOD-beam from greater distance than in Endgame.

In Endgame it looks like a red beam with a bit orange in the middle unlike the Omegas beams, whitch are pure red.

And to discuss about the omegas front weapon coming from the same emitter is a bit pointless, since it isn't even consistant throughout the series. But it would be much more logical (and probably easier to make in FS2) to make them fire from different emitters.

Offline dragon1

Originally posted by -Norbert-
In ACTA you saw the GOD-beam from greater distance than in Endgame.

In Endgame it looks like a red beam with a bit orange in the middle unlike the Omegas beams, whitch are pure red.

And to discuss about the omegas front weapon coming from the same emitter is a bit pointless, since it isn't even consistant throughout the series. But it would be much more logical (and probably easier to make in FS2) to make them fire from different emitters.

Actually, I cannot think of one time in the series when the Omega beam and pulse came from a different emitter. Upon further inspection of the small, thin bar next to the barrel, it appears to be some sort of fire control director. I believe that for the FS2 engine, it might be easier to mod the omega as having a double hardpoint, but NEVER in the series season 2-5 do we ever see the Omega laser firing from the small tube.

By the way, check out the EAS Damocles' side mounted weapons array, the smaller tubes next to the barrels were not open ended, they had the appearance of being solid.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Who actually even cares? Omega destroyer was first introduced in R2 and there it had seperate gunpoints for beam and pulse weaponry and its going to stay like that now and forever. :)

Offline dragon1

Uhh, why?
Again, I know it may be easier to mod the beam/pulse as a separate gunpoint, but it isn't canon. I think the idea of a variable turret was cool. It added yet even more to the creativity of B5. The details are everything.

So while it may be a small detail, and it may even be too dificult to mod into the game engine. Why not say that instead of displaying the crappy attitude.

"Who cares?"
Well I think the fans care! And if they didn't then every fanfic uber-ship created in the immagination of every fan would become canon.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No it is not difficult to make the weapons to fire from the same gunpoint, the problem is the timing. Currently there is no way to time the weapons to fire at different times except hard work of a mission designer, but then it wouldn't be dynamic.

While I am pretty sure I've seen Omega firing the main guns from different gun points, either way people wouldn't be satisfied anyway.

While I do think details are important, they aren't everything. When it comes to details, this Omega turret issue is not even comparable to most others we have which must be solved in a way or another.

Offline dragon1

I understand. I am sorry if my previous post came off as a little abrasive.

What have you guys done with the Omega's aft batteries? I know I've seen these fire as both a pulse and a beam.

Thanks

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
*sigh* Realistically you would have seperate barrels, and it is much cooler that way.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by dragon1
What have you guys done with the Omega's aft batteries? I know I've seen these fire as both a pulse and a beam.

Same as with the forebatteries.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by dragon1

but never in the same situation.  I only recall seeing beams firing from there in "Severed Dreams" when the Alexander takes down the Clarkstown.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Pulses were seen firing in the battle where Sheridan's forces liberated Proxima 3, or was it Mars... I don't remember, the planet was reddish anyway. :p

Actually every battery on the Omega is exactly the same laser/pulse system. Any one of them can fire both weapons.

In the Episode were Sheridan takes the White Star to Ganymede where a Shadow ship was captured then goes berserk, after the encounter the Agamemnon hunts the White Star through Jupiters atmosphere (I'm pretty sure). The Agamemnon fires its beams at the White Star from the lower set of turrets just in front of the rotational section, in other words not the main forward batteries.

I would really like to see the Omega fire all six forward beams and pulses at targets in front of them, as a kind of super attack.
Fear is the Mind-Killer...

Offline Edwin

both modes cannot be fired simultainiously from the smae gun.  And firing all the beams at once would drain the ship of power.  would be good as a last resort but.....

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Pulses were seen firing in the battle where Sheridan's forces liberated Proxima 3, or was it Mars... I don't remember, the planet was reddish anyway. :p

Proxima 3....lots of pulses.  Probably because they were targeting fighters and Whitestars.  If they needed to go after capital ships from the rear aspect...then bring on the beams.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline dragon1

Didn't the Victory-class Destroyer Excalibur have some sort of beam/pulse array? I can't quite remember, but I remember seeing one of the turrets firing a pulse weapon when it usually fired a beam.

Also, ITB shows a Nova-class Dreadnought firing beams in a very quick sequence. Will R3 feature Nova dreadnoughts with a primitive beam cannon system?

Lastly, does anybody know if the Agents of Gaming B5 ships (Poseidon, Oracle, etc...) are considered canon by JMS?

Originally posted by Edwin
both modes cannot be fired simultainiously from the smae gun.  And firing all the beams at once would drain the ship of power.  would be good as a last resort but.....

I know that the turrets can't fire both types at the exact same time, they can fire them within seconds of each other though, in salvos. What I actually meant is that I'd like to see the Omegas fire both weapons out of all turrets.

And there is no documentation stating limits to the Omega's firing capabilities. Nowhere in my books does it say anything about not being able to fire its 6 forward lasers simultaneously because of a power drain issue. While I'm sure it wouldn't be possible to sustain repeated salvos of all forward beams firing, I'm pretty sure that it can be done in battle every now and again.

The sequence in ITB where Novas fire beams is (As I understand) the infamous glitch sequence that also has Omegas in the background. Omegas were not finished until some time after the war had ended and Novas do not have beams. Tim Earls who designed the B5 ships listed the Nova's weapons as Trans-phsed Heavy Plasma Cannons.

The AoG is debated depending on who answers. Some poeple consider them canon, some don't, some say semi-canon. However in his personal forums JMS confirmed that he had brought special editors to make revisions in the 2nd editions of both AoG's products (B5 Wars and Fleet COmmand) and Chameleon Electric's B5 P&P RPG so that they would be canon. So true AoG ships are canon but there are many fan-made ships for B5 Wars that are not canon. An example is the Monsoon Gunboat, the Tempest Heavy Cruiser or the Polaris Dreadnought (Better known as the Triton).
Fear is the Mind-Killer...

Offline Mungrel

Remember that these are "gun ports", not the actual weapons. They could prob's fire both but who care's. Whats 'cannon' is what the writer chooses to make them and this can change depending on the story line.

Make them for whatever suits the game and gameplay best.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 06:36:20 am by 245 »