Author Topic: Freeze Problem  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Itsara

I have a problem running FSO.  FSO freezes everytime the Psamtik shoots the Belisarius in the first mission, like a couple seconds after the beam hits the ship, it freezes.  I have tried many things to try and fix it but i cant figure it out.  I dont know if im installing it wrong or what.

When i install FSO, i just install all files into my FS2 directory.  Then i double-click on the launcher icon, that has showed up on my desktop, and find fs2_open_3_6.exe and click Apply.  Then i choose which flags i want to use, which are the first 4, and then i click Apply.  Then i hit Run and play the game until that point it freezes.

I dont know if i install FSO wrong, or if i need the media vps or what but i just cant figure it out.  I use LS Shine and Glowmaps too.  My system specs:

Pentium 4
Windows XP
768 MB DDR Ram
Intel Extreme Graphics

So please if anyone can help i would apprciate it.  I want to use FSO so bad.

Offline redmenace

can you use a debug build. Actually, I will build one tonight after I get the latest code.

After you use a debug build can you post the fs.log(think thats its name).
however that said Intel Extreme Graphics could be a problem. It is suggested that you use an ati or an nVidia card. Ati prefferably.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Try running it with no flags and see if it still happens.  I've actually run in to a similar problem but in much less of a consistant pattern, so I'm interested to know what you find.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Itsara

Yea, im planning on updating my graphics card.  I know what nVidia is but what is Ati.

Im going to try it with no flags now.

Offline Itsara

Well it still freezes with no flags on.  Do you think it could be my graphics card?  Its speed is only 64MB.

Offline Itsara

Well i ran it with the debug version of FSO (without any flags) and it found something.  This time right when the Hercs. are about to jump in, it gives me an error and then the game quits all together.  Here is my errorlog:

fs2_open_3_6_debug caused a Breakpoint in module fs2_open_3_6_debug.exe at 001b:00538ae2.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 9/13/2004 22:41:38.
C:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_6_debug.exe, run by Ian Sara.
1 processor(s), type 586.
766 MBytes physical memory.

Then it gives a bunch more computer language crap.  Here is part of my fs.log:

pofWarning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem fighterbay01, believed to be in ship capital2V-01.
 e:\languages\visual studio projects\visual c++\fs2_open\code\io\keycontrol.cpp:2035
Direct3D activate: 0
Direct3D activate: 0
Freeing all existing models...
WARNING: VRAM is at -53127680 instead of zero after flushing!

And the part where it says e:\languages\visual studio projects\visual c++\fs2_open\code\io\keycontrol.cpp:2035 is the error that pops up when im playing.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:19:43 pm by 123 »

Offline redmenace

try this. This is a brand new debug build of the current contents of code repository.
http://swooh.com/peon/redmenace7/fs2_open_d.zip
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Itsara

It pretty much does the samething.  Here is my errorlog:

fs2_open_d caused an Access Violation in module d3d8.dll at 001b:6d9e62cd.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 9/13/2004 23:26:04.
C:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_d.exe, run by Ian Sara.
1 processor(s), type 586.
766 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 0000000c caused an access violation.

The error that pops up is different though, it says that something is wrong with the Hercs. detail.  Im starting to think im never going to be able to use FSO.  Thanks for your help guys.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Itsara
pofWarning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem fighterbay01, believed to be in ship capital2V-01.

It's having a problem launching the fighters from the Psamtik. Let me hack together a version without that (shouldn't be too hard) and we'll see if that also locks up.

EDIT:. Give this a try and tell us if it crashes. It's exactly the same mission except that the fighters the Psamtik launches now come in from Hyperspace.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:16:23 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Itsara

Does the mission you made overwrite the original one because its not in the Tech room?

If it does, then i still crashes.  I did notice though that when i dont use FSO and when the Belisarius jumps in there is the electical bolts streaming across the ship which shows its damaged badly.  But when i use FSO, the bolts aren't there.  I dont know if thats relevant or not.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:37:43 am by 123 »

Offline Itsara

I found out something else that i think is quite important.  I made a mission with just me a Hast. and a Deimos and i had them battle each other.  Everything was fine, they both were shooting at eachother and it wasnt freezing.  Then, when the Hast. destroys the Deimos the game freezes.  The Deimos doesnt get a chance to explode, the game freezes when the final beam required to destroy it hits it.  Which is what happens in the first FS2 misson, that one beam destroys it, but the game freezes before it can explode.

Offline redmenace

run that debug exe and post the fs.log  or email it to redmenace[nospam]@hlp.com (remove the [nospam]) please.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What's your AGP speed set to?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Itsara

AGP speed?

I ran the mission i made with your debug version and it worked perfectly.  I emailed you the log.  Just so you know, i played the mission i made, not the first mission in FS2.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 02:15:25 pm by 123 »

Offline redmenace

try this other build and the debug build with the campaign mission. Not the mission karajorma altered(just remove temp the mission he gave you)
http://swooh.com/peon/redmenace7/fs2_open_r.exe
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Itsara

Well i tried it with this new build you made and it didnt work.  Then i tried it with you debug build and it didnt work but i dont think its because of the other problem.  For some reason i think, your debug build doesnt like the Hercs. in the mission because thats when it freezes.  When i used your debug build with the mission i made, it fixed the explosion problem.  So i think if we can get your debug build to stop freezing when the Hercs. jump in, then i think it might work.  I will email you the fs.log from your debug build from the campaign mission.

Offline redmenace

email it to jonanthanwillsher[nospam]@aol.com just remove no spam. it seems that email forwarding for hlp is down.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Does the mission you made overwrite the original one because its not in the Tech room?

It should replace the other one seemlessly.

If it does, then i still crashes.

Odd. Wipe the error log and see if the error about fighterbays vanishes next time you run it. Maybe it was an old one or just a random bug.

I found out something else that i think is quite important.  I made a mission with just me a Hast. and a Deimos and i had them battle each other.  Everything was fine, they both were shooting at eachother and it wasnt freezing.  Then, when the Hast. destroys the Deimos the game freezes.  The Deimos doesnt get a chance to explode, the game freezes when the final beam required to destroy it hits it.  Which is what happens in the first FS2 misson, that one beam destroys it, but the game freezes before it can explode.

Hmmm. Sounds like a dodgy deimos model. Are you using the hi-poly deimos Bob made? If not use it. If you are, stop :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Itsara

Can you make a link to the hi-poly deimos?  I dont know where to find it.

I emailed the log to the new address.

Offline Itsara

Well i found some more out while i was experimenting with it.  Since karajorma said that it might be a bad deimos model, i created a mission with a Hats. and a Orion.  Everything was going fine.  Once the Hats. destroyed the Orion and the Orion started blowing up i thought for sure that karajorma was right.  Then, since the Hats. still had an enemy ship on its radar, it fired a anti-fighter beam at the Orion while it was exploding.  The exact second the beam from the Hats. hit the exploding Orion, the game froze.  Then i tried the same mission with redmenaces' debug build and it worked perfectly.  So for some reason, if im using the regular FSO.exe and there is anykind of beam contact with an exploding ship, the game freezes.  But redmenaces' debug build fixes it.  If anyone wants the fs.log from using the debug build i will email it to you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 10:34:52 pm by 123 »