Author Topic: 747 vs...  (Read 6865 times)

hmm.. Sathanas over a Big City.. it's Time for Freespace Jeopardy? :D
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by aldo_14
it's a 2 or 3 man bomber

I don't think its a 2 man bomber because in FS you never saw another pilot or anything.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Kszyhu

EDIT: Nothing special ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 12:19:54 pm by 2263 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

So really V just ****ed up the in-game measurements.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kietotheworld

I don't think its a 2 man bomber because in FS you never saw another pilot or anything.

Actually, you never saw any pilots except the generic wingman anis, which don't actually show all that much anyways.

Offline Kie99

"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
There is no whatsoever reason not to make the cockpit area that big if the ship is already so huge. Probably all the life support systems are stuffed in there, it is also possible that the cockpit can be jetissoned to act as a lifeboat.

There probably is a weapons officer (even the Apollo was a 2-man craft), and a lot of specilized equipment that do the bomb priming.

The Reference Bible mentions the Ursa as the most expensive craft flown by the player - "it costs as much as a small moon"...so no wonder the designers could give the pilot a little lee way.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

I like those pics, it'd be nice if someone could make something like that for all the ships in FS...
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I like those pics, it'd be nice if someone could make something like that for all the ships in FS...

As for big cockpits, remember that Herc that spend all that time in the neb? If the fighters have a bit of food supply, together with plumbing in the suit..... Sure, it'd be smelly if you let some guy sit in a cockpit for 4 days without a chance to shower, but you could extend patrolls.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
look at modern fighter jets.. particularly fighter-bombers & pure bombers..

i'd say a 2-3 man crew, maybe three for the ursa, two for the others..
the reason for this, is relatively easy.. one pilot concentrates on steering & combat, the other, radar/comms/ targetting solutions.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Or turret operator.

Offline Roanoke

You'd think the bombers would have some form of landing gear too.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Considering the hull size, I don't think that any landing gear could stand up to the strain...and if you can land on your main hull, why not do it? It's one less set of parts you have to keep in stock and sometimes replace.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Considering the hull size, I don't think that any landing gear could stand up to the strain...and if you can land on your main hull, why not do it? It's one less set of parts you have to keep in stock and sometimes replace.

considering these ships can take hits from nuclear missiles, I'd say their landing gear would be strong enough to hold them.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Carl

considering these ships can take hits from nuclear missiles, I'd say their landing gear would be strong enough to hold them.

Whoever it was that wrote the info blurbs must have been laughing his/her ass off when he/she put that in.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Always wanted to be able to hear copilots chatting away. . .

(that's a hint for you SCP people)
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

I agree with kasperl. It would be great if someone did size comparisons like this for all the FS ships
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 02:21:50 pm by 1802 »
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
y'know, just thinking of a bit of scaling here.. and i reckon, that the cockpit of an ursa is about the same size as the one of one of the larger star-trek shuttles (type 9 for you ST boffins).. it might have some supplies onboard to help sustain bomber pilots during the long-haul

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/type9.jpg
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
The Ursa is 41 meters. in modelview it says that it is 54 meters long because it includes the thruster cones. the ship model alone is 41 meters. that said, the pick should actually look something like this:

"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
its still damn big.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(