Author Topic: Top 13 Mistakes made by new FREDders  (Read 19772 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Unlucky Top 13 Mistakes made by new FREDders
Originally posted by karajorma
And you believe that I might be able to do a better job of porting it to the wiki than TopAce? I'm sure he'd be happy to hear the reasons for this. :p
No, I was only covering for the fact that I didn't notice it in the first place. :nervous: I was looking for a page "last edited by karajorma" and didn't see one.

I'll leave now...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. I guessed that was the reason. I was just yanking your chain a little :)

It occurs to me that I must have caught most of the big bugs cause I've seen very little in the way of "But you missed...." :) I was expecting a ton of those :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
ugh. i make most of those mistakes already.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
btw, kara, you should make a FRED faq (you haven't, have you?) about the terms of FRED and how to use variables, etc.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The FRED2 walkthrough actually does use variables but doesn't give any examples of how to use them apart from what they did with it so most people forget about them fairly quickly.

I've always planned on doing an advanced FRED tutorial in the same manner as Cetanu's. Only problem is that I'd have to get off of my arse and actually finish Seeds Of Rebellion before I'd have the material to use for such an example. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
*says very bad words*

i have looked at the FRED2 tut. it just tells you how to make a mission without variables.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Cobra
*says very bad words*

i have looked at the FRED2 tut. it just tells you how to make a mission without variables.

1. Don't just look at the Walkthrough. You should actually do it.

2. Look again at the docking stuff with Sleipner 1-4

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
i made the mission a couple of years ago. late night headaches, lemme tell ya.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
try it again then. Currently, its the most usefull FRED2 resource available, and it covers 98% of what you'll ever need, including variables...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
good idea. :yes:

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
That Unification Prequel campaign is mighty guilty of no. 12. I'm guilty of 2, 3, and 8. If you look at my missions, you'll see event names like "poop" or "BeamzAhhhh!!!!", and my message names arent too much better. I'm gonna probably change those. Nah, I'm too lazy. :lol:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
lol, you should have seen the missions i created a few years back. The messages were named "Message 1", etc. I also didn't know how to use chains, event delays, none of that. When i made messages, I always wondered why the hell they came at the same time. You get the idea. And I had been using FRED for about 3 months now. 4 years later, i can make medium missions with lotsa bugs. in another year or so, i'll be an expert fredder (I hope)

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
I'm always trying to improve with my missions. In my first week or so I was tearing my hair out trying to find out why the capships weren't firing their beams! And I only recently started making decent backrounds. Before then I just entered random numbers into the coordinates box and hoped they appeared in the right place. :D
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
that's what i do with backgrounds. although i think i'm starting to figure it out. P=side to side, IIRC.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula

P=side to side

Umm, not really.
Here's some clarification.

P stands for pitch, up and down.
P90= nebula above your head.
P270= nebula directly below you
Of you want the nebula's center to be just below the horizon, use P350

B stans for bank, or rotation of the nebula around the center. It doesent actually change the nebula's position. I don't use it much.
B90= top points right
B180= upside down
B270= top points left

H works sort of like a compass. It's the position of the nebula around the sides of the battlefield. The wierd thing is, however, as H increases, the nebula moves counterclockwise instead of clockwise around in the horizontal plane. That kinda screws me up sometimes. For example H=90 is due west, not due east. A mistake by [V], perhaps?

Anyway, you can use combinations of H and P to place the nebula anywhere you want. Just invision the backround as being sort of a coordinate sphere. I usually first move left with H, then move up with P. The B option is completley useless when placing suns. I wonder why they even have it there?

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
i thought you said you were still trying to figure that out?

Offline Solatar

Think he's trying to figure out how to use this knowledge to make stuff look right. :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
yeah, that's it. i guess...

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
It's not too hard to figure out if you just put some time in it. I just opened up fred and entered a small number in one of the fields and left the other fields at zero. And saw where the nebula was located in relation to the nose of the ulysees.

And I only recently started making decent backrounds.

That means I picked this up just a short time ago. It was before that time when I was clueless.:dizzy:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:20:31 pm by 2470 »

I just played a campaign entitled "Neo-Terra," and frankly, all thirteen of these errors come up in every mission.

The enemy wings had the strangest names, such as "Gammer" or "Longly."