Author Topic: Cutscenes (please no RTFM, it will hurt my feelings)  (Read 4775 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Cutscenes (please no RTFM, it will hurt my feelings)
i believe the movie playing code is in the most recent builds.  don't know why its not in 3.6.5 since its been there since 3.6
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by karajorma
Did you catch that comment about 3.6.5? 3.6.5 won't play cutscenes. Just tried it.

Seriously?  Well crap.  I had fixed it (again) just for the betas but I guess it broke once more just before the official 3.6.5 build came out.  I made my own 3.6.5 builds several days earlier and I'm pretty sure that movies worked in that one but those weren't used as the official builds (no OGG support, or WMC's new HUD stuff).

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
More likely it has something to do with the no-minimize bug. But you never know.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think the first builds released after 3.6.5 all had working code. Ironically enough it was just 3.6.5 that had it broken
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Actually I have the same problem. I tried putting them in the folder, and I have yet to see a single cutscene. (I tested the intro outside of the game, and it worked, so it's not a codec issue)
And yes, I use v3.6.
Will the intro play when you lanch the game? Since this is the first time I play the game, I don't know if I'm supposed to have seen any cutscenes yet (I just completed a mission where I had to protect three convoys, using an interceptor).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You should see the intro on startup (after the splash screen if you're using the media VP files).

Go to the recent build forum and try out one of the builds. That way you'll know what to expect :D

I downloaded the build in the "'nother build" thread, and when I ran it, I didn't see the intro. When I installed the game yesterday, I used the mv_zpack.vp, could this cause a problem?
Oh, and I also have those 1kb .MVE files from the HOTU download, should I delete those?

I just tried moving them away from the freespace folder, and I still didn't get the intro with the new or the old build. God, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong :\

Offline Fractux

Try this one:

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/20050103-win32.zip

It works for me playing the into, however, it doesn't always work when playing the later movies.

You can delete the 1kb .MVE files without having to worry about anyting.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
FS2_Open should completely ignore the .mve files anyway but it won't hurt to get rid of them.

Hmmm. I've been assuming that you can play the intro outside of FS2_open (i.e in media player) is that correct? If not you could be lacking the Divx Codec

Yes, I do have the DivX codec. I think I said that in a previous post.

And Fractux, the intro still didn't play using that build :(
Honestly it doesn't matter to me to play them in-game, it's just that I'd like to know when to view them. So, if none of you can help me out (Thanks a lot for trying, though!) could you maybe point me in the direction of a guide or something that says where they're played?
Thanks!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Check the gameplay page of my FAQ. There's a big table with all the missions in order showing when the cutscenes are played.

Frankly I'm mystified as to why the movies aren't working for you though. It should be as simple as a post 3.6.5 build. The divx codec (NOT ffdshow though or anything like that IIRC)  and the movies in the main FS2 folder or data\movies\

Are you saying that the cutscenes won't work in 3.6? Because if that's it, at least it makes sense that it didn't work at first for me. It's strange that it didn't work with that other build, though.
And thanks a lot for making that FAQ, karajorma, it's awesome!

EDIT: Problem located! I should have understood that there was a problem when the movie files only took up about 1mb each! The problem was that the HTTP server that I downloaded them from (the one that was linked to at the start of this thread) is really unstable. It would interrupt downloads, and Firefox would tell me that it was done with downloading when it was interrupted. Media Player Classic was able to play the files just fine, so I thought there wasn't any problem. Now that I used IE to download the movies (took me a while, because even IE got interrupted all the time, the good thing was that I could resume the downloads) they work perfectly fine with 3.6!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:59:34 pm by 2599 »

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by What evar
Are you saying that the cutscenes won't work in 3.6? Because if that's it, at least it makes sense that it didn't work at first for me. It's strange that it didn't work with that other build, though.
And thanks a lot for making that FAQ, karajorma, it's awesome!

EDIT: Problem located! I should have understood that there was a problem when the movie files only took up about 1mb each! The problem was that the HTTP server that I downloaded them from (the one that was linked to at the start of this thread) is really unstable. It would interrupt downloads, and Firefox would tell me that it was done with downloading when it was interrupted. Media Player Classic was able to play the files just fine, so I thought there wasn't any problem. Now that I used IE to download the movies (took me a while, because even IE got interrupted all the time, the good thing was that I could resume the downloads) they work perfectly fine with 3.6!

On a sidenote:
Always use a download managger or an ftp client for such big files.
It will prevent such suprises.
I keep this legacy from my 36k era, and has helped me ever since.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
hey guys, could somebody encode FS1 cut scenes?

While I do possess FS2 US version, I would like to be able to play FS1 Port with original movies. Sadly I have FS1 only in German :(
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I already did. Kosh put them up for me. You'll need the XVid Codec for some of them and the Divx Codec for the rest.

Click me

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
outstanding, thanks :D

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Sorry to top this, guys, but I'm having problems.

I've tried the build linked to above, I've got all codecs needed, movies in avi format, the whole spiel.

Now, my problem is that I'm wanting to see the FS1 cutscenes in-game for the FS1 port.  Here's a list of my directories and where the movies are, if that helps.

C:/freespace2/freespace_1

What a list.  Anyways, the movies are there.  The port runs fine from the launcher, on the new build and the old, I just...can't....get those damn avi cutscenes to show.  The w/movies zip from karajorma's faq is 404'ing on me, not sure if that would solve it.

Anyways, obviously this isn't a world-ending problem, I'd just like to view the cutscenes in game, when they're supposed to show.  (The same FAQ had a list of when the FS2 cutscenes are supposed to be seen, but not FS1 unfortunately.)

Thanks for any help you cats can dish out.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
aren't they supposed to be in data/movies folder?

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
According to what I remember Taylor saying the movies will play if they are anywhere in the standard FS2 path. Basically they get treated like any other file. I've always kept them in moddir like I do with the VP files.

The w/movies file is obsolete so I removed it. I'm updating the FAQ to remove the paragraph about it but I haven't actually gotten v2.0 into a shape close to finished yet.

The order the movies play in is

Intro
Ancients1
Lab
Command Brief
Ancients 2
Ancients 3
Ancients 4
Ancients 5
Endgame

Adding a list of exactly when they play would be a pretty good idea actually. I'll add that to my list of things to do for FAQ v2.0 :)

Do the FS2 Cutscenes work? Also Do you have the XVid Codec/Do they play in media player (test with Ancients 1 rather than intro as I can't remember if that one was Divx).

BTW : :welcome:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 04:14:26 am by 340 »

Thanks for the welcome, and the help!

Okay, I downloaded the Freespace 2 movies to see if they would work.  Turns out they do, under the old build.  One odd thing though, is that when I try to load the FS1 port, after the FS1 splash screen the FS2 intro plays.  Still can't get the FS1 cutscenes to show up.  In the tech room, all that's listed is the intro to FS2, even with the FS1 campaign selected.  (That's a lot of FS'ing).

If that made any sense, anyways....

I tried making a folder called "movies" in the freespace 1 mod data folder, same thing.  I am just having zero luck with it.  Oh well though, thanks for the help, and if you can think of anything else, that'd be much appreciated as well.

EDIT:  Yeah, I have the DivX and XviD codecs.