Author Topic: Wing, Ship, etc. Naming Systems...  (Read 2474 times)

Offline LeGuille

• Formerly known as Rejindo
  • I made a box for you! Now, think outside of it.
Wing, Ship, etc. Naming Systems...
Okay, from what I understood, it goes like this:

Vasudan ship names: Egyptian mythology
Shivan ship names: Gothic mythology(?)
Terran ship names: Greek mythology
NTF: ???

Wings:
- Terran: Greek Alphabet
- GTI: Norse Mythology
- Vasudan: Greek Astrology
- Shivan: Same as Vasudan in FS1(?)
- NTF: Norse mythology?

Help me fill in the blanks, cause I am trying to write up a new campaign and I can't remember how the naming system works in full. If anyone can point me to a post that fully explains this, or a Wiki article, I'd appreciate it! :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 10:34:33 pm by 2570 »
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Friendly Wings (any) are standard greek alphabet
Enemy wings (any) are each sun/star sign. (Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn etc)

GTVA and NTF ships share the same name convention, as they share a common origin.  Shivan ship names are generally 'demon' names, you can find a good source for them here:

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/demon_list.asp
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Shivan wings were Hindu mythology in FS1.

Offline LeGuille

HOL never had a distinct designation, did it? And when was the fall of HOL approximately? I was reading the Wiki and found no references into a timeline of when the leaders went into reclusion...

Damn perfectionist...ism.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:09:21 pm by 2570 »
4 "Beware of the truth.... Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker." -- God-Emperor Leto II, God Emperor of Dune

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Enemy Vasudan wings in FS1, including HOL, were Zodiac signs.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Goober5000
Shivan wings were Hindu mythology in FS1.

I was referring to FS2, but yes, they are referred to Hindu mythology in FS1.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline LeGuille

Thanks, Goob. Another question: Khonsu apparently is in Egyptian mythology as a son of Amon- A pharoh during the Memphite dynasty, when Imhotep was greatly honored as a demigod. So my guess is that there is a 'hidden' agenda in the link between Vasudan and Terran... maybe like the Stargate beleifs of the Goa'uld being the original inhibitors of the earth, creating the Stargate, all because of "Ra", and alien who possessed the body of a boy as a symbiotic parastite. Is it possible that maybe Vasudans were supposed to be semi-relatives of an ancient terran civilization that once explored the stars, perhaps? Maybe Mars once was alive before some catastrophe, and to escape, the ancestors of Terra and Vasuda went out to a new planet... the Vasudans changed in appearance to adapt to thier planet, maybe?

I think somewhere in FS1 this was talked about... in the Movie clips and what not...

I found alot on the mythological names here: http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/egyptian.htm
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:33:27 pm by 2570 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is what the tech description says...
Because the Vasudan homeworld was primarily desert, the Terrans used Egyptian names to designate Vasudan warships during the Terran-Vasudan War and the Great War. After the defeat of the Shivans, the Vasudans insisted on maintaining this convention. The Emperor strongly identified with the history of Ancient Egypt, particularly the longevity of its civilization. Following their Emperor's example, Vasudans will take on what they call a Terran name from the myths and history of Ancient Egypt.
There's no evidence that the mythological stuff is anything more or less than that.

Offline LeGuille

That's what stumped me. I do not have the retail version, so my information was a little lacking. I still wonder, though.. if Khonsu I's name was designated to him by Terrans, and then then Khonsu II kept the name... there in, we have no names of the native Vasudan tongue.

Offline LeGuille

In my serach for some new names, I found an awesome resource for those interested in naming new ships and whatnot... These are the names and overview of history. Nothing in-depth, but a good quick reference.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197623.html << Norse Mythology
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197624.html << Egyptian Mythology
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0197622.html << Greek and Roman Mythology

My contributions. :-)

Thanks again, for the help.