Author Topic: Question about the size of the crew shuttle ?  (Read 8536 times)

Offline -Norbert-

About the size of the crew shuttle ?

by EAD TAES
We also saw some starfurys ram into the fins of a sharling.

It did crash into the Sharlin, it can be seen that is was spinning out of control.
That wasn't a ramming manouver. it was more like what happened to Ivannovas fighter in "Severed Dreams".

I remember that scene, you could actually see fighters in the distance doing a sharp turn to avoid a crash.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Deepblue
Those shuttles were just like the others. The ones in TBP SHOULD be bigger, but the team has not sized them right yet. (and that episode was cool)

Actually, no they were not and yes we do have the right size.

In episodes 'A Voice in the Wilderness' and 'The Summoning' (these are the two that come to mind) you see a crew shuttle right next to a StarFury.  In both cases, the StarFury is very much the same size if not bigger in its silhouette.  So therefore, the standard crewshuttle by the given CGI sequences matches the size of our crew shuttle.

The PSI Corps craft that we saw were significantly scalled up.  We see this in numerous sequences all throughout Babylon 5 CGI (the Whitestar starts off small and gets bigger in size as the series goes on BTW :D).

So they can only be explained as Carriers or Assault Transports.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I was wondering how long it would take for the obvious to emerge. Solution? Just make type 2 of the crew shuttle and arm it with a single turret.

Offline starfox

I've long thought about making a fighter/ship of my own. But  there has always been that voice on the back of my head. "Don't do it, you screw it, leave it to the others."

Making a type 2 shuttle with single turret ? Might try it sometimes, and doesn't sound too hard for the humble beginner like myself. I never had the gutts to try modelling anything, but that about to change !
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Sparrow

Originally posted by EAD TAES

In the movie "In the begining" We see one Nova ram a Sharling, we see one fot he firsts Omegas built Ram a Sharling int he back ground of that.  

First of all greetings to every one sinze i guess that this is my first post in this forum.

I had read about a Omega (or Nova-X) ramming a Sharlin in "in the beggining" but io havent noticed it never.. i have the movie on DVD format but i cant find it, i only see the magnificent scene of a Nova ramming a sharlin...  anyone knows where a capture of the Omega ramming the sharlin can be found?

About those two Hyperions in SD, some websites claims that they were "Roosvellt" class patroll cruisers of 600 meters long , not the main Hyperion/Midwinter of 1km long.. JMS said that they were took out off screen but there was a site wich claimed that they were simply in the background covering the back..  
JMS weights more ...

Offline comic

It would be cool to see it a little better armed than just one turret.

I mean Bester did say they were heavily armed, maybe they could have several point defence cannonas and one large turret maybe having a missile pod or heavy pulse cannon of some kind.

I mean if they are expected to drop furies with a limated range in a combat zone they have to be able to protect themselves or the furies are screwed even if they win as their transport is gone.
"Every Light Carries A Shadow" - Carved on an obelisc on Z'Ha'Dum

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Offline starfox

I have "In the beginning" too ! Very touching movie.

Anyway,as far as I know, first Omegas were built after the war, I don't think Earth would have started to build a whole new ship class during a desperate war, they lacked X-Ray beams and all....

Whitch bring me to Nova-X. What it had so special to be called "X-class". I mean were they some kind of prototype Omegas.

As for those transports/carriers/Shuttles seen during the Epiphanies, they didn't seem to have any external weapon pods or cannons when they carried those Black-Omegas. For me they seemed to completely unmodified and completely unarmed, only larger. Though they might have some gunports, which would convienently hide those weapons.

I could post a few small screenshots, but there's one slight problem, I actually have never posted any screenies before, could someone be kind and give some...instructions.
I know it should be very simple process, but one does not know until he asks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 07:10:59 am by 1857 »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by starfox
I could post a few small screenshots, but there's one slight problem, I actually have never posted any screenies before, could someone be kind and give some...instructions.
I know it should be very simple process, but one does not know until he asks.

1) Get a jpg image (somehow)
2) upload it to webspace  (NB: you need to have a provider that will allow remote linking; I don't think tripod or geocities do)
3) Enclose the link for the image within IMG tags; i.e. [ IMG ]www.imagelocation.com/image1.jpg[ /IMG ] (remove the spaces before and after IMG to get it to work; I needed to do it this way to show the code)

Alternatively just click the 'IMG' button at the top of the new post page.

NB: if the image is larger than about 800 pixels wide, I'd recommend using the 'LVLSHOT' instead of 'IMG'; this resizes it, and surrounds the smaller image with a link to the full size one

HTH :)

Offline Sparrow

There is a scene in "in the beggining" just when the war starts after the first contact , you can see a fleet of earth ships being wipped out in seconds, in the background you can see some 3 or 4 aparently Omega class destroyers..
To fix it up someone came with that those were in reality Nova-X class dreadnoughts, the special feature is obbiously the rotating section added to the Nova

http://www.b5tech.com/science/misc/Omega_Evolution/Omega_Evo.htm

http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/earthallianceshipsandvessels/earthcapships/novax/novax.html

Thats the full description, basically it was the prototype of the Omega class destroyer but the war delayed its production until the end..  also there was one guy who pointed that sinze the first Omega class destroyer was the EAS Achilles , the class name may come from the first of the 5 modified Nova-Xs .. in that same site they tell that one of the 5 Nova-X rammed a Sharlin and thats the pic i never have found and i requested. ;7

Offline starfox

Thanks for your help in posting those instructions Aldo_14, I'm sure they will be helpful in time being.

I checked those B5tech, watched the battle sequence from "In the Beginning" and compared them. They do match and these Novas do indeed have rotating sections !

I too, have never found a single clean screenshot of Nova-X ramming Sharlin.
Anyway thanks for the links, Sparrow.
Though I have some concern about the ship specs b5tech offers, these images were still usefull.

"While JMS and the crew of Netter Digital were quick to edit out as many instances of the Omega as possible, some, unfortunately, slipped by and created a conondrum for many fans."

Puts me to think that omegas were meant to be "heavy Warships" during the war, much like Novas. JMS may have decided that omegas were too advanced for the Eartforce of that time, and decided to demote Omegas into Novas. This in only my assumption though

I also like the idea that these five special-Novas were, as b5tech said "forerunners of Omega". Like testbeds for later desings.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:18:27 am by 1857 »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
After much public debate, fans have rationalized away this incongruity by theorizing that these five starships are NOT Omega class Destroyers, but rather they are modified Nova class Dreadnoughts.

Why not just simply say that it's a F**k-up and be done with it! :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline starfox

Yeah, even though Babylon 5 is not shown on TV anymore, someone like JMS should just officially tell everyone that these ships were CGI-screws and end this debate once and for all !

When the explanation cames from JMS himself, it should satisfy all fans.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hmm, I just realized I'm bored with B5 now. Meh.

Offline -Norbert-

Lets just say it's not the only error they made in ITB.

For example why it the blood on one of the people on the hyperion sheridan is on running down his face, without any gravity?

Offline Sparrow

Originally posted by -Norbert-
Lets just say it's not the only error they made in ITB.

For example why it the blood on one of the people on the hyperion sheridan is on running down his face, without any gravity?

Well the ship was spining out of control in the asteroid field, if she was spining in the right direction that could be.. again that is not possible sinze we see the dead captain blood floating still. Gravity and filmmakers are not friends.

In "2010 Oddyssey 2" the russian space ship, the Leonov (wich indicentaly was based to make the B5 Omega class destroyer) has rotating sections to create gravity, at one point they dock with the Discovery and they stop the rotating sections to avoid hit the Discovery with them.. well, with the rotating sections stoped inside the ship there is still gravity and you can see even falling objects from their hands...
ops.. im going very out the topic and fallin in SCi-Fic pointless points.. :shaking:

Offline Xaphod

• http://www.fishinstitution.com
Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me.
My website - The Fish Institution

For the bloo dof a crew on on his face runing down you can say that was a makeup screwup.

But damn the rotating sections of the Omega and Leonov are almost identical.

Offline starfox

Bruce Willis and Jerry Doyle !, damn they look alike. I watched Die Hard just few days ago and noticed how much Bruce Willis looked like Garibaldi. It just snapped
"I've seen this guy somewhere !"
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The Omega's in some of the sequences of ITB are a CGI screw-up and nothing more.  I think people need to stop explaining it away and realize that not everything fits into canon - there were mistakes in production and we know what they were.  Fortunately, they aren't as bad as some of the more grevious errors in Star Trek CGI.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."