Author Topic: Freespace 2's society???  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Speaking of nanotechnology, the method in which your fighter's subsystems self-repair could be an example of it in use.

Offline Spidey-

Basically it comes down to this question. Would you have prefered [V] spend all their money fleshing out technicalities or on the plot and gameplay?

All this is very interesting...
i have filled up many holes in my campaign's plot (HomeWorlds)
Which will be set in three different chapters: Human Nature - Black Sun - [Insert name here]

Human Nature tells the history of how the human nature produces conflict. The human is greedy by nature, the entire conflict set during the chapter is set around this.

Black Sun: this chapter is set during the conflict between the GTA and the shivans. The shivans' purpose and origins will be revealed.

[inset name here]: some spare ideas only...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:48:54 pm by 2309 »
Developing a FS2 Campaign:
Corruptible, everyone has a price

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by willy_principal
I wonder what do people eat...

crew from ships probably eat some kind of artifitial rations...like the one in Matrix...
GOOD food is surely extremely expensive.

oh geez, we already had a big long thread devoted to this.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by aldo_14

There's also,of course, the Vasuda Prime scene as evidence of non-aerodynamic fighters & transports being able to fly in air to space seemingly without any downwards thrust to keep them upwards.

I don't seem to recall anything beside the Horus in that cbanim, though if you uploaded it I could check out the details.
However the Horus is hardly what I would call a non-aerodynamic fighter.
Yes, it's not the best desing however with nuclear engines, even a very small lift factor would be sufficient.

You assume that there's a sufficient power source to do that, or a mounting base.  Having a single piece of technological knowledge doesn't automatically mean you can do every conceivable thing with it, you know.

You're not clear on this one IMHO.
Actually energy is used so wrongly and in a mystified manneer by the media and unfortunatly teachers too, that I'm not suprised you made this mistake.

Force and energy are not the same.
When I exert force I don't have to expand energy - work or energy is only the movement x force. So with an object stainary against my force I don't have  to input any energy into the system.

(The only reason why I have to strain my muscles and input power into a machince is that the force is created by a system that is not 100% effective therefore some of my input will continously bleed out as heat....however this ammount is miniscule...later you'll see why.)

You say I don't have the powerlevel needed to split a planet.
You also said I can maintain 1g on a ship.

However being able to do so means I can counter the full effects of a 1g gravitic field.

Think about it: that field is the sum effect of the entire planet! Gravity is that weak that it needs a lot of mass to create this effect. If I can counter this force this means I can create a field of my own that intersects with the Earth own an negate it.

There is no exessive energy demand or anything else - if it is true artificial gravity it will have the same range and power as normal gravity. Therefore a gravitic field of my own with a strengh of 1g will be able to completely nullfy the Earth's own.

I'm not splitting the planet yet, but there is no longer a cohesive force that keeps it together.
All I have to do is bore through it (there is no pressure, so I can cut it like butter) and send a H-bomb down the shaft....however if I think about it I don't even have to.
Even though I did nullfy the gravity field the thermic reactions still take place in the planet - and I just removed the force that kept it in check....it's blow time.

This is the reason why I demand people to propely see the issue of artificial and anti gravity - if truely done, with such effects these are already godlike powers.

That's why I'm adamant about the idea, that the system used on the GTA/GTVA ships is not true artificial gravity, but some phenomenon that fakes its effects.

You also seem to be assuming that they'd want to use anti-gravity drives on larger capital ships for space travel.  But who says that would be more efficient?  Perhaps it interferes with subspace travel, as gravity plays an important role in inter-stellar nodes.

In normalspace? I don't think so it would interfare and even if I couldn't use it in subspace it would still be magnitudes better than any other engine.

Reason? All other engines must use reaction mass where the limit on specific impulse is the speed of light - which is already the case with a gravity drive, since the effects of gravity travels at the speed of light.
It is already as good as any engine can get in term of specific impulse.

In terms of thrust this is the only drive that doesn't put structural tension on the ship, so there is no thrust limit! The reason is that gravity is a field force and as such has effect on the volume of mass instead an interaction surface.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Flaser
However being able to do so means I can counter the full effects of a 1g gravitic field.

What 1g field? You're in space. You're not countering anything.

You forget also that gravity is a function of distance. And falls off depending on the distance from the center of mass. Even standing on Earth you're several thousand miles away from that. On a ship you'd be a metre or two away which means that the srength of the field required is much smaller.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I don't seem to recall anything beside the Horus in that cbanim, though if you uploaded it I could check out the details.
However the Horus is hardly what I would call a non-aerodynamic fighter.
Yes, it's not the best desing however with nuclear engines, even a very small lift factor would be sufficient.

There is... I forget the class name, but it's the transport with a sort of spoiler underneath (Satis?).  IIRc you can see that bit as it flies into the screen, albiet highly blurred.

You're not clear on this one IMHO.
Actually energy is used so wrongly and in a mystified manneer by the media and unfortunatly teachers too, that I'm not suprised you made this mistake.

Force and energy are not the same.
When I exert force I don't have to expand energy - work or energy is only the movement x force. So with an object stainary against my force I don't have  to input any energy into the system.

(The only reason why I have to strain my muscles and input power into a machince is that the force is created by a system that is not 100% effective therefore some of my input will continously bleed out as heat....however this ammount is miniscule...later you'll see why.)

You say I don't have the powerlevel needed to split a planet.
You also said I can maintain 1g on a ship.

Think about it: that field is the sum effect of the entire planet! Gravity is that weak that it needs a lot of mass to create this effect. If I can counter this force this means I can create a field of my own that intersects with the Earth own an negate it.

There is no exessive energy demand or anything else - if it is true artificial gravity it will have the same range and power as normal gravity. Therefore a gravitic field of my own with a strengh of 1g will be able to completely nullfy the Earth's own.

I'm not splitting the planet yet, but there is no longer a cohesive force that keeps it together.
All I have to do is bore through it (there is no pressure, so I can cut it like butter) and send a H-bomb down the shaft....however if I think about it I don't even have to.
Even though I did nullfy the gravity field the thermic reactions still take place in the planet - and I just removed the force that kept it in check....it's blow time.

This is the reason why I demand people to propely see the issue of artificial and anti gravity - if truely done, with such effects these are already godlike powers.

That's why I'm adamant about the idea, that the system used on the GTA/GTVA ships is not true artificial gravity, but some phenomenon that fakes its effects.

You're making your own assumption here; that localised AG technology automatically means every possible form is mastered and plausible.  If the GTVA can master a localised gravity field within a ship, it doesn't imply to me that they can manipulate existing large scale ones.  If, perhaps, the device used for anti-gravity has a high power use then maybe it can't be used for particularly large scale applications.

I would, of course, point out this is fiction.  Technically I can make up any old **** and it counts, so long as it doesn't contradict accepted canon.  And if V statements are canon, then FS has anti-gravity technology of some variety.

In normalspace? I don't think so it would interfare and even if I couldn't use it in subspace it would still be magnitudes better than any other engine.

Reason? All other engines must use reaction mass where the limit on specific impulse is the speed of light - which is already the case with a gravity drive, since the effects of gravity travels at the speed of light.
It is already as good as any engine can get in term of specific impulse.

In terms of thrust this is the only drive that doesn't put structural tension on the ship, so there is no thrust limit! The reason is that gravity is a field force and as such has effect on the volume of mass instead an interaction surface.

Given that subspace offers instantaneous point-to-point (intrasystem) travel, I think anything that interferes with it would be ruled out.  If the mechanics of entering subspace were in some way disrupted by an anti-gravity field of some sort; and there's no reason why not, given the vagueness of the information on subspace; then you'd automatically use something else.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by karajorma

What 1g field? You're in space. You're not countering anything.

You forget also that gravity is a function of distance. And falls off depending on the distance from the center of mass. Even standing on Earth you're several thousand miles away from that. On a ship you'd be a metre or two away which means that the srength of the field required is much smaller.

I'm not speaking about shipbound implementation.
What I say is if I can artificially create a gravity field with 1g strengh then I can negate the Earth's own and split the planet like a banana.
(There is no such thing as a localized gravity field for all we know - which makes the distance function arguement moot.)
Actually it is this distance fuction that ensures that the field is strong enough to completely nullfy Earth own.

No pun intended, but aldo_14 you still don't seem to get what I mean but karajorma is a lot closer to it AFIS.

Inside the planet's crust it's always the sphere below your fleet that acts on you, the reason is that the gravitic pull of a hollow speher isnside is nill.
Therefore in the very core of the planet the gravitic force is zero.
If I put another field onto a point of the crust with 1g strenght then it will be just as strong as the planets' own.
For all we know it works and seems to be just as strong as a real gravitic field.
It will have the same range as Earth's own therefore at the edge of the crust it will nullfy it, and as I go deeper it will weaken but with the same gradient as Earth's own.

It won't uniformly interact with it, but on the direct line between the core and the point where I made the field there won't be any gravity pull on the whole planet.

There is no whatsoever "range" or scale limit on a gravity field - and therefore there is no whatsoever reason why the GTA/GTVA couldn't apply this technology on this scale if true artificial gravity was discovered.

If the technology used of warships doesn't have the same interaction constant therefore range as ordinary gravitic fields or it is localized than you already have to admit this isn't a true artificial gravity but a "fake" one.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Flaser, if you have a point source of gravity, at 4000 miles away from that point, you have 1 g, then that point has the same gravity as the earth. (note if the earth really were a point source, then if you stood at the very center of the earth than you would be crushed into a singularity, but that is not the case, since it stops acting like a point source when you go inside of it) so grav plating aboard a starship only needs to keep it at 1 g at a distance of however far below the plating is beneath the floor. if we say it is, for instance, 6 inches below, then it only needs to be one ten-millionth as strong as earth's gravity. covering the planet in such grav plating will only counteract the earth's gravity for 6 inches.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There is no such thing as a localized gravity field for all we know

and there is no proof that there isn't. Your entire argument hinges on the fact that you can't make a localised gravity field (Not that it's the only way to make AG anyway) but since we can't make ANY kind of gravity field nor have the faintest clue how to even get started it's a bit f**king early to start saying it's not possible.

FS2 has artificial gravity. Deal with it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Freespace isn't real life. It exists within the genre we know as "Science Fiction". This implies that the narrative, whilst grounded in or referencing certain real-life elements of science, is a work of imagination.

That's why you can hear explosions in space.

Offline Solatar

Ravana and Rakshasha thing is from the Ramayana IIRC...