Author Topic: Shadows  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I agree with you there too WMCoolmon. Especially the Halo bumpmaps. :D

Which reminds me, if shadows and bumpmapping are in. All fighers should get a spot light on their nose. That would be awsome to be flying along a large cap ship in its shadows, with a spotlight shining down below it. :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Bumpmapping is nice, but keep in mind someone would have to create normal maps for each map used in-game...

Not even the shinemaps are complete by now, now guess how long it will take to get all those bumpmaps working...

I don't think bumpmapping will be very visible with the current lightning model anyway.

Add some glows and everything will look better.
Shaders will fix the intersecting problem I think.

Will all these nebulas and stuff blooming will look great.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It'd look even better to keep it in darkness and see the bumpmaps lit up whenever weapons fire etc is happening ;)

As for normal maps, theres an NVidia plugin for photoshop which automagically makes normal maps out of Bump maps. Also, if I can get my normal mapping working on Lightwave, and I have the time, theres a strong possibility I can generate normal maps the 'professional' way, by converting bump-maps in Ultra-Hi poly models ;)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
What would shaders do for us practical...I mean I can see the shadows quite clearly but didn't get what shaders would do.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Roanoke

I recall DavB poppin' in and siging the shadows praises.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It was actually DaveB who made a request for them ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Pixel shaders would do bump mapping/motion blur/blooming. It can also be used for weapon effects and semi-transparent effects.

With Cg, I think it'd be possible to add pixel shader stuff to a table, so modders could add their own effects as well. I'm not sure what exactly that would allow/entail, though.
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
That is exactly what I'm looking for.
EFF made some really cool things possible, but togther with pixel shaders, the possibilities are unlimited. :eek2:
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Mh Bumpmaps...ok like them.
Motion blure...well don't realy need it, never likes it except for movies.
blooming...what is that?
Half transperent things...also good.

Mh I think their is much more to gain from the Pixel shaders then from the shadows....so I would go for the pixel shaders first.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and shaders would be usefull when I do make shadows again, one of the reasons why I put it off, if things were a bit more organised shadows would be a lot easier to implement.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Huzzah for shaders!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I allways thought you would organise yourself or do you guys still do each what he wants and then wonder why sometime the code is unstable ^_^
Beside that I have heard rumorse that with each update the program gets slower...never seen that myself since I still use an older exe.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there was recently a dramatic slow down, I am endevoring to solve the problem, recenter builds should have better frame rates.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Actually it gets faster sometimes. ;)

Well, cool features need more power.

Edit: too slow...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 07:10:59 pm by 1688 »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline MoodyB

Originally posted by Flipside
Also, if I can get my normal mapping working on Lightwave, and I have the time, theres a strong possibility I can generate normal maps the 'professional' way, by converting bump-maps in Ultra-Hi poly models ;)

I might be able to help with any normal mapping issues you're having in LW ( used both the free plugins from Marvin Landis and Microwave at work ) if you could let me know what the issue is ?
Regards,

ALan

I think I'd rather have Bobbau working on pixel shaders as an investment for the future then on shadows again - especially if, as it sounds like, implementing shadows before pixel shaders would require reimplementing them after pixel shaders for highest efficiency.

Though, to be perfectly honest, bobbau could do nothing whatsoever, and I could pump the resolution on the SCP to 2048 by 1536 and Bobbau would still give me the programmer equivalent of penis envy, so anything he feels like doing at the time is absolutely ok by me.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I feel like eating a pizza.
:)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
With pixel shaders, pizza eat you! :p ;)
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's why Duke Nukems taking so long ;)