Author Topic: question about tbp and fs2_open  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Pro_D

question about tbp and fs2_open
Does tbp use an altered (from cvs) build of fs2_open?

Just curious because I can't get the included exe working and I tried setting this up as a mod or leaving it stand alone and changing out exe files.  If I try it as a mod using a built that works on my machine it gives an error relating to turrets on start of breefing and if I leave stand alone or/and change out exe files it crashes on start.

No I didn't install it over FS2 (rather I installed it in it's own sub folder, which seems to be how mods should be installed).

I haven't been able to get any builds prior to 20050212 CVS to work, not that I have tried every build in the middle.

I could have just missed something dumb as I have only just started looking at the babylon project now that fs2 (and fs1 port) finaly work.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
TBP3.0 is on 3.6.5 right?
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
TBP 3 uses it's own build; I'm not sure if there's a difference between that and the version they based it off of (i.e. if it's just 3.something, or 3.something modified), but AFAIK it's not actively tested against the new WIP builds from the SCP team.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
R3 uses one of the bugfixed 3.6.5 builds iirc. But it should be compatible with any other FS_open build since then.
I say should, since I get CTD's with some of the very new WIP builds, probably pilot related stuff.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No, its the original 3.6.5 build.
I repeat, TBP does not use a special build.

Offline Pro_D

thats good to hear as that gives me more things to try out.

It turns out that, as far as treating tbp as a mod (which I probobly won't do again), there is something I must have broke as fs:scp wont work now either.

After a glance around this forum (rather another more wakefull glance) I noticed a possibility that the updator may have malfunctioned leaving me without key files, looked and sure enough the core file was absent.

Made absolutely certain I had enough space on both system (there was enough before) and the destination drives (iffy before) and reinstalled core and core update, core files were present and the game ran... and oooh so pretty...

Also, strangely, tbp is the first game/mod that works with directx both freespace 2 and freespace 1 mod only work for me with opengl.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Alright. Try starting a new pilot often and good luck.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Pro_D
It turns out that, as far as treating tbp as a mod (which I probobly won't do again), there is something I must have broke as fs:scp wont work now either.

Let me guess. SCP won't let you into the techroom any more right?

If that's your problem you need to select an FS2 campaign from the campaign room and things will start working again.  

Same goes for when you run TBP as a mod (Which is what I do).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]