Author Topic: My turn...  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Raptor

Couple of new images...

Hind legs still need a bit of work (trim armour at hip joint, redo feet) and I'll need to redo the front feet joints as well.

Once those bits are done, it's just the tail and details to do.  Though since the whole things at a little over 20,000 polys:nervous:, there may not be that many details.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Dude, this stuff is cool. How long does it take you to make? The number of polys on that last one alone are enough to make me quiver. :shaking:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
They make me remember Total Annihilation.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Setekh
Dude, this stuff is cool. How long does it take you to make? The number of polys on that last one alone are enough to make me quiver. :shake:

So far, it's taken me a few weeks off-on.  I might not get much done in the next little while since I got hold of four new games...:drevil:

It's generally made up of altered cubes and cylinders, with a lot of vertex editing and 'gulp' Boollans:nervous:

If 20K polys scare you, you do not want to see Stevew's 'Galatica' models.  His range from 400k - 600k+ polys!:eek2:

[EDITED]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 05:34:11 am by 914 »
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Raptor

New Update!

Finshed the revised rear legs.

Now I've got to do the foreleg ankle joints, the tail, the cockpit, the belly guns...:sigh:

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Overall its a good job. The toes need a significant amount of re-working though, in both their arrangement and the general shape. Rather than let them be simply stubby bits like that, try putting a joint or two in them to make it a tad more realistic.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Also, your thigh is a tad too thick when compared to the calf. Try to improve the ratio a bit..

Just some constructive criticism. As mentioned before, its pretty good overall :) :yes:
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Raptor

I'll think about redoing the toes, but then again, most zoid feet appear to be solid blocks.  I only seen one with independent toes, and that was a raptor based one.

I should  point out that the thigh armour is extended so that it over laps the calf.  I will have a look at thickening the calf (thanks for providing the correct name BTW;)), but anything I do will have to allow for movement.

Offline Raptor

Oka, I was unable to alter the shape of the calf as any changes would restrict movement and require quite a bit of remodelling.  I'll bear the idea in mind, but I want to get this thing done soon.

Now, after redoing the hip, shoulder and wrist joints, I need to decide on tail layout...
WIP

top one has the joints equal distance, the lower one has each segment have the same aspect ratio.

Offline Raptor

Few more images, of some of the new bits and other stuff...

Started to sort out scale.  the green thing is a VW Golf:D

The main guns now have an ammo feed and a cover for the ammo bin.  Each HEAP shell is a bit taller than a man.

Located at the base of the neck, twin heavy shock cannons.  I based the style on the good old 9mm Berrtta.  As each barrel fires, the slide runs back and opens the ejection port!

Few more weapons and details, then it's time for the tail.  Possibly next week.  I'd like a few opinions please.  Not sure ATM which tail to use.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
No idea what a zoid is, but that's pretty cool.. :yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by Raptor
If 20K polys scare you, you do not want to see IPAndrews 'Galatica' models.  His range from 400k - 600k+ polys!:eek2:[/COLOR]

Yes but they were built to run in FS2 retail (w/ software rendering). I would use at least... (wait for it)... double that if I were to remake them now ;)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by IPAndrews

Yes but they were built to run in FS2 retail (w/ software rendering). I would use at least... (wait for it)... double that if I were to remake them now ;)

Urk, sorry.  After posting something related earlier, I've realised I put the wrong name in my earlier post here:nervous::shaking: It should be 'SteveW', over at a BSG forum.  I'll just quickly edit that.

Back-on-topic: Haven't done much to zoid, as had host of other things come along.  Do people have any opinons about the tail structure?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks good to me :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Raptor

Okay, I know it's been a while (been distracted by new - and old - games), but I have new progress screenies...

The 'Hadrus' (working title).  With old model VW golf

Cockpit detail.  This beast has a crew of 1-3, with folding front seat back, and folding central armrest in rear.  A couple could have a nice romantic moment in the back...:drevil:

Not quite finished yet.  Needs displays, controls etc...

I finally decided on a tail form.  Looking at nature, the joints stay the same distance apart, so the Zoids tail does the same.  Dificult to get right, but I think I did it...

The images are a lot sharper at full size.  ImageShack wants me use those thumbnails (reduce their bandwidth demand or something...), but they don't display them full size either...:hopping:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
[drunk]Veary goodest![/drunk]
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.