Author Topic: Yet another FSO prob  (Read 3697 times)

:wtf:

Click "mod" on the SCP launcher. Select the folder you installed Inferno in, or the one you installed FSPort in. You can use this to switch between the two mods. You can't use both at once.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:sigh: that's what i did.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Be clearer.

How is your FS2 folder set up?  Is it:

Code: [Select]

Freespace2
Inferno      Tech Sup        FSPort          Robotech

Or do you have ransom vp files scattered about?

Also, are you trying to use more than one mod at a time? Or are you selecting individual mods and having trouble?
Try not to have any spaces in the mod dir's names, either.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I have it like this:

Code: [Select]
Freespace 2>>>Inferno
Freespace 2>>>FSPort
Freespace 2>>>Robotech

[EDIT]GAH! Timewarp!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Cobra: When you say "they don't work", what do you mean exactly?
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Exactly what I said. Example: I choose FSport, and I get the FSPort interface but not the ships or anything.

Ugghhh...c'mon guys, IM the n00b here.
You shouldn't have any extraneous vp's in your main freespace directory, except for the optional media vp's that make SCP look so great. For every campaign, there should be a file folder with all the downloaded files in it, see examples above. Don't have any spaces in the names, or the word 'mod' in the front of the folder name (not confirmed, but it seemed to give me some weird errors). Since the -mod feature hasn't been around forever, there are probably some older tbls and other mod/campaign files scattered in your main data directory. I would highly suggest doing a sqeaky clean install of Retail fs2, then installing SCP with all the bells and whistles, then taking the campaign/mod files, and placing them each in their own seperate folder within the main fs2 directory. Whenever you want to play one of these campaigns, start up the FSOpen launcher, go to features, click the button that says 'mod', and select the folder that has the desired campaign in it. Then, click run. Within the main menu, go to the campaign screen, and select your mod. If you have done a clean install, and organised your mods, then it's utterly impossible to have any conflicts. Any problems you encounter are of a different nature. Having mods installed in this manner also allows you to install new ones quickly and easily, without worrying if they're going to 'screw everything up'. But please, for the love of God, reinstall. Your main data folder is probably full of custom tbls and other weird things that don't belong any more, and, just like reformatting windows, it solves all your problems.
Please forgive the redundancy, But you guys fighting over this is just silly. Now that I have said EVERYTHING possible, I think our friend Cobra should have his issues solved quite soon.

(short version: reinstall and start over, following the mod instructions everyone has given you. won't take you as long as you think)
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline WMCoolmon

And just like reformatting Windows, it's completely unneccessary. :rolleyes:

All you need to do to have a working FS2 install is a folder with all the original VPs (all are prefixed with _fs2, I think) and whatever EXEs you want to use. Starting from that point, you can carefully import mods to new directories without having to reinstall FS2. However, you'll probably want to rename the folder so that it's the same as the original so you can uninstall it properly/PCS and stuff will autodected properly, in which case you'll want to copy over the uninst.dll or whatever it's called. Although that's possible to do manually. (FS2 only installs some reg keys and the stuff in the FS2 dir)

The FS2 cds have shown an annoying tendency to wear out, and I'm pretty sure there's been more than one user who's tried to install FS2, only to have it fail because a disc doesn't work anymore.

Anyway. :p Cobra, look for any ships.tbl and weapons.tbl files in the Port directory and its subfolders, or the main directory, or the data directory and its subfolders. You said you were working on Pathways; maybe a TBL from that is interfering with the Port, or some other TBL has snuck in to one of those folders and is getting used instead of the port one.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
uugggghhhh. what do you THINK i did? i'm not that dumb, ya know.

this IS a squeaky clean installation, i only have SCP and retail VP's, the necessary .dll's, everything required.

what i DON'T get is why it worked when i had the ****ty vid.

whoops, WMCoolmon timewarped. this was a reply to Luke's post.

i've checked the tables, they're all FSPort.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:53:13 pm by 2299 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
is your directory structure correct?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
yeah.

would having the VP's in the same directory be the problem?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
vps would go in [fs2path]\[modname]\
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
which i what i have them in. :wtf:

damn, the SCP launcher is screwy...

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Cobra
yeah.

would having the VP's in the same directory be the problem?

Yeah, you need to have all mods *completely* separate from each other.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
er, i mean the MOD's Vp's.

should i keep the Vp's the MODs use in the MOD folder, or remove them? or is that what you just told me? :nervous:

Offline WMCoolmon

I assumed by your comment that you either had the VPs in the same directory for different mods, or in the same folder as pathways tables.

Can you post some screenshots of the five directories in question? (Main FS2 dir and the four mods) List view would be nice, too, so that we can see everything. ;)

I'm starting to think we need a SCP feature to output directory structure info in a txt file. :sigh:
-C

We (meaning you, I guess-) shouldn't have to
:wtf:

I'm gonna go bang my head on a wall. wish me luck!
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein