Author Topic: what I was doing over the break (materials)  (Read 29248 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what I was doing over the break (materials)
you could do that easily.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just out of curiousity what are the video card requirements on getting this to actually work. it doesnt work at all on my geforce4mx420.  my caps file is at www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/nukesd3dcaps.txt
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
about the only thing you need for this that you wouldn't on anything else is state blocks, but that should be abstracted by d3d for cards that don't have hardware suport
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Damn, Starshatter just jumped to a DirectX 9 engine with full bump-mapping support. I have faith that Bob's material achievements will pave the way for FSO to re-establish its past and rightfull place in "graphics" superiority.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I'm quite confedent, that when I am done, our graphics engine will make there colective e-penises shrivelup and fall off. :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
AFAIS it will do a lot more.

That disco-station already showed the freaky things the material system will let you do. Finally you'll have full control over the skin of any craft - though most will only use the pre-created materials, eventually material modders will emerge as well.

Beside graphics is one thing - full mod support and tools to port anything into is another! An so far I'm yet to see another game as modable as FS Open.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
so will we have DX9 support?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Bobboau
I'm quite confedent, that when I am done, our graphics engine will make there colective e-penises shrivelup and fall off. :)

Hell, yeah!

I'm going to learn writing custom shaders.

@Turambar
Positive.  ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well actualy the DX9 switch will probly come after I get shaders wich will come after I get the materials system done, wich will be at least two more months. and after we switch to DX9 I'll have to alter some of the materials stuff (add options).
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Bobboau
well actualy the DX9 switch will probly come after I get shaders wich will come after I get the materials system done, wich will be at least two more months. and after we switch to DX9 I'll have to alter some of the materials stuff (add options).
We aren't switching to DX9, remember.  Not without conditional compilation anyway.

Offline redmenace

Can we move this part of the thread into the internal please.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It already is in the internal.  But I had to clarify the issue so that the forum regulars will know that we haven't switched gears on them.

Further discussion can and should go in the internal, though.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Blasted isolationism :(
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
To code or cope that's the question.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Raptor

Okay, would someone please tell me what this is all about, in plain english?

I tried to follow the course of this thread, but all these technical terms and CPU speak have me confused:confused::dizzy:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
purdy colors
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Basically, bump maps, normal maps, and all kinds of other cool graphical goodies are on the way.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's a bit down the line still, I need to get this done so you have enough controle over what's going on to be able to make effective use of shaders.
when this is done, and then has shaders (im going to get both pixel and vertex at the same time) you still won't have bump mapping, but you will have the ability to make bump mapping, so were on the first (and biggest) of the final three steps.

when this is done though, it'll be a ground breaking new era in modability by it's self.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^And, best yet, shinemaps on ATI :D!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I wonder if there's any other game out there offering the same modability as FS_Open will.

The only stuff that even compares is stuff from Blizzard (WC3 ie.), and the Unreal Engine(! - direcly made for development so...).