Author Topic: A FreeSpace FPS?  (Read 6367 times)

Originally posted by Galemp
I seem to remember VolitionWatch hosting this a long time ago, when it was for RedFaction 1... good times.

If anyone knows anything about character modeling, or animation, or texturing, please fix Bob's Vasudan model. :(

What model?
My initial idea was to have vasudans aswell, but because modelling, skinning, and animating a vasudan model was such a pain, i dropped the idea. If we had an already made model, we could give it a second chance, though.
Obviouslly, it needs to be a skeletal mesh, so it can be animated.
Got a link?

Also, will you need the full version of UT2004 to play, or just the demo?

To play you won´t need anything, as the idea is to release a final stand-alone version (if legal issues allow it). We obviously do need the full version to develop it, though, as only the full version has editor support.
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing

To play you won´t need anything, as the idea is to release a final stand-alone version (if legal issues allow it). We obviously do need the full version to develop it, though, as only the full version has editor support.

I've obviously missed something. :nervous: But anyway. I think there's legal issues. UT isn't considered abandonware like FS2 is, so there might be an issue releasing Hege as a stand-alone.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
No surrender, no retreat.

Originally posted by Primus

I've obviously missed something. :nervous: But anyway. I think there's legal issues. UT isn't considered abandonware like FS2 is, so there might be an issue releasing Hege as a stand-alone.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, if you know what Tactical Ops is, you know what i mean. Tactical Ops is a mod using the UT engine. Their first release envolved forcing people to install UT to be able to play. It was their beta, as it is. But later on, they release a stand alone package, that you can install and play without having UT. It was just like any other game, all self contained.
The legal issues are wether doing such a thing is allowed, but Tactical Ops got major media coverage, it got publicized to wazzoo, it even got published as a retail game, and nothing happened to them. Wether they got a special permission to do it, i don´t know. But we can find out.

Tactical Ops is a CounterStrike fac simili, but much better in content. You can get it here:

http://www.tactical-ops.de/

Read the review at Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tacticalopsassaultonterror/
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
but you cannot be charged or anything like that for downloading media, its just how it works, like the Finland launch against torrent sites, it was law in Finland, targeting the hosts of large torrent and media distribution sites

No, but I'm pretty sure you can be sued for providing it. And/or get a nice, fat cease and desist letter.

According to US copyright laws, I'm pretty sure that the Freespace universe concept and the Unreal universe concept are both considered intellectual property of their respective companies. For something like UT2004, the companies are obviously going to be much more sensitive to you breaking the copyright on it. Publically distributing the game engine or parts of the art that make it up would most certainly fall under the category of intellectual property.

Now, if you and the server are both based in Finland, its laws would apply; I doubt that the company (Epic, I think) distributing the game would sue everybody who downloaded it, but I doubt they'd sit around and do nothing.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i just have one question though. will we need the game itself to run Hegemonia or will this be separate?

i CANNOT for the love of god find an UT2k4 anywhere.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
For the LOVE of god, Cobra! Read the thread. We're currently discussing about that. And I'm sure that UT2004 can be found in stores. Or at eBay.
No surrender, no retreat.

And by god, please... realize that it will take at least a year to complete this thing, more likely two or three years. :rolleyes:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Cobra
i just have one question though. will we need the game itself to run Hegemonia or will this be separate?

i CANNOT for the love of god find an UT2k4 anywhere.

:doubt:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VKQFG/qid=1115127592/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/002-9065179-5944821?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VRP82/qid=1115127592/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-9065179-5944821?v=glance&s=software&n=507846

That was easy......

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i'm not allowed to order online. privacy issues, don't ask.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra
As Swamp_Thing stated, we plan to release this as stand alone so you WONT need Unreal 2004 to play. :)
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*whew*