Author Topic: TCP - Chapter One RELEASED  (Read 13138 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
TCP - Chapter One RELEASED
Originally posted by TopAce
I strongly suggest you make an FSO version.

I strongly suggest you don't. There is no need to make special versions of a campaign just to deal with FSO bugs. If you're working with FSO to add new features to a campaign then all well and good but you should never port an FS2 campaign just to cure bugs.

Instead of wasting time making a nearly identical version try tracking down what causes the bug like I did on this thread with the key-reset SEXP. Then make a detailed report on mantis and instead of us having a crappy workaround for the problem we'll actually have the problem fixed in the code where it should actually have been fixed so that the next person to use the feature doesn't have bugs to deal with.

Besides as Grunt says it's pretty stupid to make a port to cure bugs as FSO is a moving target and the bugs will all be completely different 5-6 months from now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It takes a longer time for the coders to fix a bug than porting missions to FSO, just to fix the bugs.

I will try this anyway. I am curious how this will turn out.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
well if its any clue, the is-cargo-known-delay sexp was used.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by PhReAk

Yea. branched from a "not" operation which is sometimes the cause of problems in FSR as well, but not in this case.
Also mission1 crashing for TopAce is probably not an FSO issue but a conflict with other installed MODs (others didn't have this issue).
Maybe TCP should be packaged into a vp file ?
Just fly on !

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The only SEXP that caused problems for me while using FSR was the is-iff.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Grunt

Nested logicals can be nasty. ;)
Just fly on !

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by PhReAk
That may have been a bug I introduced.  What exactly went wrong?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its hard to say.  let me get some pictures together.
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I cut out an unneeded sexp in the middle.  Hopefully you can figure this one out.

There's one more sexp above this that "fail1" is chained to.  I forgot about it.

Code: [Select]

- Farian Docked
    - when
    - has-docked-delay
        - Farian
        - Oppenheimer
    - do-nothing
(directive text: "Scan all transports")
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:16:44 pm by 31 »
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Very creative idea and mod. :yes:

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by RED DIAMOND
Very creative idea and mod. :yes:

Thanks. :)
Have you played it actually ?
Just fly on !

Originally posted by Grunt

Thanks. :)
Have you played it actually ?

Yes, but I can't remember if I played it all and straight. I do recall that I fought some rebels right?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
If you have been with the Empire, sure. :D

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by RED DIAMOND

Yes, but I can't remember if I played it all and straight. I do recall that I fought some rebels right?

Well .. yea .. something like that. Never mind.
Just fly on !

Offline Nuclear1

I just got to playing this campaign today, and I will say that I think I've missed something recently. :) That was a rather fun play.

Some little buggers though. What I mostly noticed stemmed from grammar issues and large-scale battles (not BoE; simply underbalanced, kill-everything-in-your-path missions) that really got irritating after a while. It seems that all of the problematic SEXPs and events have already been noticed and mentioned here.

If you would like, I'll gladly go over the missions and grammar/spellcheck it for errors. It always makes campaigns seem much more professional, and this campaign has a lot of potential behind it. :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Grunt

Nuclear1, I would appreciate your help with the grammar/style a lot. I tried my best but some mistakes are still there that I only noticed after release.
I realize that some missions are really tough. A variation of difficulty from mission to mission was intentional, and some of them is impossible without intensive team play. You need to call reinforcement and need to use your wingies there. Also it gets harder and harder as the player fails critical objectives. He is kinda "punished" for mistakes, but can still finish the mission if he finds the way out of these situations.
I was the only tester until now, and it's difficult when you know the mission too well, so all comments are welcome.
I'll give hints or improve the mission on a second release.

Did you play it through with FSO ? It would be good to know if the major bugs were sorted with the patch.

Anyway it's great to hear some feedback at least. Thanks a lot ! :)
Just fly on !

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Good to know that not only I have problems with grammar in my campaigns. :lol:

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just played it, a really good little campaign you've made there. I like the design of the Trifid - albiet not exactly in the style of Terran or Vasudan ships - but it's a pretty cool ship. Apart from the occaisional grammatical error - and the fact that you killed the Aquitaine (this is the third campaign i've played this week that the Aquitaine has been destroyed, not a well liked ship) - an overall good play and no show-stopping bugs...

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by Mefustae
...(this is the third campaign i've played this week that the Aquitaine has been destroyed, not a well liked ship) - an overall good play and no show-stopping bugs...

Heh, I thought most ppl liked the Aquitaine (I do)..
So it was just to generate feelings. Wanted to be dramatic all the way you now. ;)
Errmm .. isn't it a spoiler btw ? :rolleyes:
Just fly on !

I'm only part-way through, but one question I had is how did you make the command briefings? I'd love to do some of that for my own campaign.