Author Topic: What's the best feature in FreeSpace 2?  (Read 4868 times)

bluelotus

What's the best feature in FreeSpace 2?
Take treb missle, and that Aelous ships is in trouble.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by ngtm1r

If I wanted dogfights, I could play Wing Commander, or Starlancer, or...you get the idea. Dogfighting isn't unique.

I don't know either games. Anyway, I enjoy dogfights in both FreeSpace and X-wing Alliance, so IF I knew the two games you mentioned above, I would still like FS Dogfights.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black13

Two words for you -

Targetable subsystems...

There is nothing like disabling that one last shivan nephilim, telling your squad mates to jump out - and then spending a little one on one time with mr Nephilim - slowly pumping promethius shots into him, or perhaps a few shots of the dreaded kaysers

That being said, my friends can make maps for UT2k4 and Halo CE - I never got the hang of it though -

I made several kick butt missions on Fred though - it allowed me (a network geek - not a program geek) to become my own video game author.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Explosions.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The AI.

Seriously, how fun would Freespace be if everything just sat there and didn't shoot back? :p
-C

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Everything

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
The AI.

Seriously, how fun would Freespace be if everything just sat there and didn't shoot back? :p

Hey...I like shooting cargo containers! :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Mongoose

Hey...I like shooting cargo containers! :p

I wanted to post EXACTLY the same.
Any one you prefer shooting moving drones to stationary containers?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
1. Dogfights. I love pulling crazy manuevers around an Arcadia or Orion, especially aircraft-style manuevers, like when you pull up on the joy, twist left or right, and level out on either side of your wingman. :D
2. FRED. Easy to use, very flexible, and you can make campaigns to get all medals and promotions. :D
3. Beamz. Beams help me with dogifight manuevers and they're just plain awesome. They really give life to capship and capship to fighter battles. not like FS1 where the bombers do all the work. ;)
4. Surprises. Everything is not as you expect them to be (well, when you first play it anyway ;)). The Lion's Den had surprises (you know what i'm talking about)
5. Awe-inspiring ships. The thing that makes ships awe-inspiring are their entrances. The colossus jumping in to save the day, the psamtik doing the same, the sathanas jumping in with all guns blasting. it's just awesome.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 02:46:10 pm by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Sundog

I like the fact that the enemy "pilots" make mistakes too. I manged to get a NTF fighter to jink into a big beam one mission (pure fluke, of course - but I know games where the AI wouldn't have allowed it to happen).
I am exactly whom I seem to be.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
1. dogfighting - teh intensity
2. caps - no tin cans
3. wingmen :eek:
4. all-around underdog position - we're mud, just waitin' to be wasted or...? :mad2:

Easily, the unit scale.  I mean, not many (if any at all) games successfully create the feeling that capital ships are massive and important.  Even in all of the Star Wars games a single X-Wing pilot (you) can take out a Star Destroyer.  Sure, you will probably die, but if you're good enough you can do it alone.  In FS2, it's almost impossible to do some jobs without capships.  This gives the game realism, much better gameplay, and less storyline inconsistencies (hey, they uber-giant death destroyer is a pansy!)  Freespace 2 is the only flight game I've played that did it correctly.
For great justice.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I love the capital ships, and like Johnmike said before me, the scale. The scale is simply incredible, these ships are actually big. They look big, sound big, feel big, they are simply huge. Add another component to that: I love the feeling you get from attacking one of them. It actually makes you stop and go "oh ****, I'm ACTUALLY about to attack an Orion head on." and you get some real tense moments when you're dodging flak bursts and cannon fire, trying to get al ock to release your payload.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
They don't really look that big... for something that's 2 km long, the Orion looks only several hundred meters at most.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Until you're staring at it from about 100 meters away, anyways.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Change your FOV to something that makes faraway things look bigger, or you can scale the models, turrets and their positions, collision boxes, and explosions to be much larger.  Of course, the textures will look like a pixilated smiley face.
A Pixilated Smiley
Compare that with this, which is like the textures at the moment at the default size:
A High-Res Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 11:43:36 pm by 2397 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I run on a Mac with 400mhz, and it doesn't lag at all with FF.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
t3h b34m5!!!!!!!!11111111
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Sundog

Um, does that actually mean anything, Liberator?
I am exactly whom I seem to be.