Author Topic: Ships underpowered/overpowered  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Raapys

Ships underpowered/overpowered
Actually, no. If you had recently seen the B5 episodes like me, who watch them continually, even though I've seen them dozens of times already, you would have known that the ship can actually feel it's master's condition, etc., and can act completely on it's own. Like, for instance, it does when Kosh #1 is dead, and like it does when Kosh #2 is under attack.

And there's also the problem of blocking a being which is much more powerful than any telepath.

could you give the battle crabs the games fighter AI?

Offline Raapys

Nah, it's set up to use a turret, which fighters can't use from what I know. Fighters also move too close, which isn't a good thing considering the size of the Battlecrab.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Shadow ships could probably benefit from Gunship AI, if it ever gets implimented.  As for telepaths, I proposed a method of using it in-game, but not scripted.

Basically, any ship that might have a Teep onboard, would have a turret placed within its hull, so it couldn't be knocked out like a standard turret.  The position and fof of that turret would reflect the line-of-sight requirement, so it would be behind windows with limited view.  Of course, on a Minbari warship, with the 360 degree real-time viewing chaimbers, the fof is unrestricted.  This turret would normally be without any weapons, but to engage Shadows, it would be equipped with a beam weapon.  This weapon has no sound, no beam effect, no beamglow, no particles, and no impact effect.  It would cause no hull dammage, but have a significant kinetic, EMP, and Electronics dammage.  The Kinetic effect would act to quickly slow an attacking ship, the EMP would disrupt its targetting, and the Electronics (as with the D-Missile) would shut down all engines and weapon systems for the duration of the beam.  This would be difficult during an engagement such as "Into the Fire" with both Shadow and Vorlon ships present (as Hostile and Neutral with "All Teams At War" enabled), a way to prevent this turret from fring at Vorlon ships would be beneficial.  I've proposed to the SCP in the past, sexps which would allow orders to ship turrets other than fire-beam.  Something like ai-turret-ignore and the ability to select "< any neutral >" and an option to select a specific turret on the selected ship.

IP- I was noticing your mention of AI to reduce turret accuracy, and I remembered something.  It might be useful (if someone wants to recreate the S3 "Matters of Honor" engagement) to have one variant of the Shadow slicer bean weapon with a 100% miss rate (so that the beam will always miss).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Fade Rathnik
could you give the battle crabs the games fighter AI?

Actually cap ships and fighters in terms of how they attack are almost the same.  Its just the fighters are smaller and faster and thus the AI works better there.

Compared to present day AI, the FS stuff is very rudimentary.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
It might be useful (if someone wants to recreate the S3 "Matters of Honor" engagement) to have one variant of the Shadow slicer bean weapon with a 100% miss rate (so that the beam will always miss).

I have been planning to add an "Inaccurate" AI class for ages. Like I said earlier though, every time I try to expand that table the damn bug hits.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, I was thinking that it could be done perhaps using the miss-factor fields in the beam data.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You could but doing it using AI classes would work better. It's precisely the kind of thing AI classes are there for.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

I don't think it would be possible to 'out-teep' a Vorlon as it were. Not even Lyta could hold against Ulkesh for long, and she was their doomsday weapon.

They'd simply mindfrag whoever was going to try, IMO.

And, yes, the Vorlon ships are living, thinking entities. Anyone read the book 'The Shadow Within'? You get a few insights into Kosh's transport. It is, basically, a living creature that 'serves' Kosh willingly and faithfully.