Author Topic: Sol: A history - Bug question  (Read 1838 times)

Offline CaptJosh

Sol: A history - Bug question
This mod says that it is an Inferno campaign, so I figured I'd come here. After downloading and installing it, I tried to run it with FS2 Open. I got three error messages that said one of the files had pointers to a location on the hard drive of the system used to develop the mod. I've sent an e-mail to the person who wrote it, or at least I used their e-mail link. I also left a comment at ModDB. After hunting around, I found no seperate forums, so as a said, I figured I'd come here, hopefully to get in touch with the person who made the mod.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well it's an unofficial user camapign that uses parts of Inferno, it has nothing to do with us.
SAH doesn't work with SCP as it uses pre patch buggy tables. It needs to be updated to work with SCP builds. It'll work fine in retail though.

Offline CaptJosh

You sure it'll work on retail? A number of things in the weapons table are pointing to H:\Games\Freespace2\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP. This is indicated by the debugger as a file located on the hard drive of the computer that was used to build it. I somehow doubt that this would work in retail, either.
CaptJosh

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
PARSELO.CPP is a code file used to compile the game, that error is saying that the tables are incorrect for the FSOpen parser. FS2 Retail isn't as strict when it comes to parsing the tables and so will run them fine.
It'll work in retail as the SAH tables are based of the standard R1 tables which do not work in FSOpen, hence the release of the SCP patch to fix this. However SAH has not been updated to work with the SCP patch tables and will not work untill the tables have been updated.

Offline CaptJosh

I wonder if the problems are similar to what I'm running into with one of the tables in the Freespace root.vp while trying to get the FS1 interface inte FSPort on SCP. The formatting on at least the medals.tbl file won't let it work in SCP, because it doesn't match up with the formatting of the medals.tbl from FS2. I'm actually going to be working on this today. I think what I might do is simply extract all the tbls and rebuild the root.vp file without them. This way I could edit the tbls and not have to keep recompiling a vp file. Not sure if it's a viable option yet, though.
CaptJosh

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No the problem with SAH and the original R1 tables is there was no way to debug tables at that time, so a lot of errors got in that don't cause crashes and so weren't noticed. But with SCP builds the debugger is set to make those errors show up now, so that tables can be easily debugged. The R1SCP patch uses tables that comply with the FSOpen debugger.

FS1 and FS2 table formats are not exactly the same. You would need to redo the tables in the FS2 format.

Offline CaptJosh

I already know I have to redo the tables. I ran into that first with the medals.tbl file in root.vp. I've even edited it once after extracting and comparing to the medals.tbl file in the root_fs2.vp file.
CaptJosh