Author Topic: Use Mantis to report bugs!  (Read 65283 times)

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Re: Use Mantis to report bugs!
Odd, I've been using it all week, and it's still coming up for me now.  Strange that you would have such a prolonged problem with just one site, and that I haven't the same experience.
Quite odd indeed.  Looks like I can't even access the main scp.indiegames.us site, or even ping it.  It was working fine last week, and I've now tested it on multiple browsers and multiple machines (in my house, so same ISP... wonder if they're doing something strange like blocking it?) :confused:

Fubar, are both those email addresses you tried on the same ISP?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yes they are.  I double checked and spam filtering is disabled on my both of my domains.  Unless the server has old DNS info (moved to new server on Monday) I should be getting them.  Never had a problem getting email from any other site.  Oh and before you ask no I don't have any other email accounts.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Quite odd indeed.  Looks like I can't even access the main scp.indiegames.us site, or even ping it.  It was working fine last week, and I've now tested it on multiple browsers and multiple machines (in my house, so same ISP... wonder if they're doing something strange like blocking it?) :confused:
Backslash, does the ip that is pinged come up as 207.44.172.79?  That's what my ping does.  If you run a trace-route, which hop times out?
I double checked and spam filtering is disabled on my both of my domains.  Unless the server has old DNS info (moved to new server on Monday) I should be getting them.  Never had a problem getting email from any other site.  Oh and before you ask no I don't have any other email accounts.
Fubar, do you run the mail test at http://www.dnsreport.com/ to make sure all is good with your mail server(s)?  If all else fails, you could use a temp email address from a service like mailinator.com, then change the email address on your profile once you've logged in.

Good luck both!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:48:59 am by martellato »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well here's the dnsreport results:

Step 1:  Try connecting to the following mailserver:
         fubar.org. - 209.240.24.56

Step 2:  If still unsuccessful, queue the E-mail for later delivery.

Trying to connect to all mailservers:

fubar.org. - 209.240.24.56  [Successful connect: Got a good response [250 Accepted]] (took 3.0 seconds)

Also I forgot I have 2 sbcglobal.net emails I have never used.  My domains aren't on SBC so I tried registering with one of them and didn't get that email either.   So now I have 3 accounts waiting to be activated.

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Backslash

Yep, same IP.  Tracert fails at first hop.  w7f?  I'll go give it a try tomorrow from a different location.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Here's a good one.  Got the registration email from scpadmin for the board but mantis signup still doesn't come through.

Here's a good one.  Got the registration email from scpadmin for the board but mantis signup still doesn't come through.
Interesting.  What are the from and return-path email addresses in that message?  What was the sending server's ip address?  Maybe mantis is using a different setup, and should be using the same..

Yep, same IP.  Tracert fails at first hop.  w7f?  I'll go give it a try tomorrow from a different location.
Any luck Backslash?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Here's the from and return path from lines from the SCP registration email. 

Return-path: <[email protected]>

Here's the from and return path from lines from the SCP registration email. 

Return-path: <[email protected]>
Fubar, I think that you found the critical difference here!

It seems that the SCP forum email that you did receive had a return-path of [email protected], while the SCP mantis email that you did not receive had a return-path of [email protected].

To admins: if you can change the return-path for the mantis on SCP, that may solve the validation woes.  Thanks!
Also, I found some other potential problems after checking the headers of a validation email.  Some of these may require fixes on behalf of indiegames.us's customer mail system.

X-Gmail-Received: a5e475a1533316c6295809e4470db0719af7bb9d
Delivered-To:
Hidden Text: Show
@gmail.com
Received: by 10.78.127.18 with SMTP id z18cs37359huc;
        Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.70.129.2 with SMTP id b2mr7616295wxd;
        Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
[1] Return-Path: <[email protected]>
[2] Received: from mgonet.mgtgames.com ([207.44.172.79])
        by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id h39si5636075wxd.2006.10.02.16.35.23;
        Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:35:23 -0700 (PDT)

[3] Received-SPF: neutral (gmail.com: 207.44.172.79 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected])
Received: (qmail 26809 invoked by uid 48); 2 Oct 2006 18:31:20 -0500
Date: 2 Oct 2006 18:31:19 -0500
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
To:
Hidden Text: Show
@gmail.com
Subject: Your new user account
X-Sender: <[email protected]>

[4] X-Mailer: PHP/4.3.2

X-Priority: 3

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Potential Issues:
  • [1] There is no MX record for mgonet.mgtgames.com
  • [2] Same problem.  Additionally, the i.p. of 207.44.172.79 has an invalid reverse-DNS record, which does not point back to mgonet.mgtgames.com.
  • [3] There isn't a SPF record for mgonet.mgtgames.com (not a biggie)
  • [4] The last three mail headers are ineffective and become part of the message body when the first double-newline (\n\n) occurs.  You may want to check the mantis code to see if it splits headers with a "\r\n", and replace it with "\n" instead.

Sorry for being a pain....  I hope that these suggestions help.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Ok this might sound like a crazy question but what bugs do I report using Mantis?  Do I need to be running a certain version?  If the bug exists and a new release canidate is out and I find a related bug do I report the bug there or directly to the person working on it?  I mean with all the bulds, release canidates, and dot canidates it's all kind of confusing.   Or maybe it's just the beer.  Heck I crashed 3 standalones (one 4 times) as well as my computer several times just trying to play one game. 

Well I found the answer to part of my question.  Didn't see the bugnote area when I was browsing before. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:30:12 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Ok this might sound like a crazy question but what bugs do I report using Mantis?  Do I need to be running a certain version?
Report any that you find (but please search first to make sure that the same bug doesn't already exist as open/closed/resolved).  As far as builds go, if you are running an old build then try a newer build before filing the bug just to make sure that we haven't already fixed it (not all fixed bugs are in Mantis).  Other than that just make sure that you list which build you are having the problem with when you file the bug.

Offline Backslash

Any luck Backslash?
Luck, sort of... in that I got it to work at a friend's house in the same town but I suspect he's on a different ISP, and it still wouldn't work for me yesterday.
And suddenly it works for me again now.  Weird.  After over a week of not.  I'd guess it's my ISP doing something odd with DNS stuff this week, but who knows.  Ah well, the important thing is I'm back in :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
And suddenly it works for me again now.  Weird.  After over a week of not.  I'd guess it's my ISP doing something odd with DNS stuff this week, but who knows.  Ah well, the important thing is I'm back in :)
It comes and goes for me too btw.  The funny thing is that sometimes I can get to Mantis, but not the general SCP site, which is on the same server with the same address.  :wtf:

Oh, and I stopped getting Mantis e-mails when it moved to the SCP site.  They don't get spam filtered, so they must be getting bounced/rejected instead.  I changed my account prefs to use a game-warden.com e-mail (in part so that I could actually diagnose a problem if there was one) and it works fine there.  But, the GW server isn't set to bounce/reject all spam like that yet either.  When I eventually set that up it's likely that the Mantis e-mails will also stop coming there as well unless I whitelist it server-wide.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Any possibility of getting a standalone catagory added to the catagory list on Mantis?  I started reporting some of the bugs I know of and they really don't fall under any of the other catagories.

I changed my account prefs to use a game-warden.com e-mail (in part so that I could actually diagnose a problem if there was one) and it works fine there.
taylor, do the problems that I/FUBAR mentioned in the post above help at all in pointing out some problems with mantis emails?  Unfortunately, some issues are likely to require indiegames.us to make fixes.

Any possibility of getting a standalone catagory added to the catagory list on Mantis?  I started reporting some of the bugs I know of and they really don't fall under any of the other catagories.
Hmm, well for now I use category "multiplayer" for both in-game multi and standalone issues.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
taylor, do the problems that I/FUBAR mentioned in the post above help at all in pointing out some problems with mantis emails?  Unfortunately, some issues are likely to require indiegames.us to make fixes.
I think that [1] and [2] are the reasons that my ISP is rejecting the mails.  Like you say though, that's something that has to be fixed on the sending server's side.  It's something that just needs to be fixed since those things make the e-mails qualify is false/rogue rather than a valid e-mail.  Any mail server which requires a valid sender (which means reachable host, valid name lookup, MX entry) before accepting the message will just end up rejecting all such mail.  If someone were to look at the maillog on the server then I'm sure that it would have more than a few reject messages in the mail server traffic.

But [1] and [2] can be easily fixed just by a quick mail server setting change.  It needs to advertise it's mails as coming from mail.mgtgames.com, and not the private server name of mgonet.mgtgames.com.

Hmm, well for now I use category "multiplayer" for both in-game multi and standalone issues.
Yeah, just file it under multiplayer, since that is the appropriate category for standalone server bugs.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Mantis doesn't seem to work for me, anyone able to log in?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Same here, is the link in the first post still uptodate ? I'm getting a 404-error
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Server appears to be down.  I'll contact Inquisitor.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Erm I've got a bit of a problem...

With FRED 3.6.9, sometimes it fails to save correctly, usually changing ship's friendly/hostile flags... I've noticed this a few times...

It's a bug but it's not being reported... and it has no error log in the program... it thinks its correct, but random ships are sometimes set as the wrong friendly/hostile flags... average 1 per save on a mission myself and Mobius are working on.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.