Author Topic: Updating the medals?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Updating the medals?
Any plans of updating the medals screen yet?

You know. Commendation medals from different races (EA, Minbari, Narn, Cetauri, ISA, maybe Drazi?). But nothing specific. And be sure to add some sort of commendation medal for civillians. In case some freelancer saves a refugee ship from raiders...

Hmm. Should the rank system be changed too? It could be something else than military rank. A reputation thing or something like we have here in the forums... 'Cos different races have different ranks (from recruit to general, from pouchling to warleader, from ambassodor to emperor etc.).
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Gee. I thought that someone would give me at least somekind of feedback. :wtf:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yet again this is something that needs SCP changes. I don't think it's high on their list.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Not at the moment, getting finished ships in game and working properly is.:D
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Updating the EA medals isn't that tough. If someone wants to do that and provide TBP with nice shiny new EA medals? ;) Eh? Eh?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
What? It needs code changes? How so? I thought it was just simple graphics issue...

IPA: No, no! Not just EA. We need to other races too. See what happened with the voices. Now we have Bubble headed Nars yelling about green beams!

That brings me to another matter. Any plans of updating the wingaman personas? Or changing the command to shipcomputer voice or something. 'Cos its little funny if you are flying as raider and you get messages from "command".

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
What I meant Prophet is Babylon 5 themed medals for EA would be a start. Since it doesn't require source code changes. Race specific medals do, although they are a good idea. I'd like to see the wingmen personas updated too. Really we need a different set of personas for each race as a minimum I think. Although that'll actually involve a surprising amount of voice acting. I'd also like to see the AI table updated with Rookie, Regular, Veteran, and Elite AI classes for each race in the game. Thus concludes my list of "micelaneous non-ship related stuff I'd like to see" :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by IPAndrews
What I meant Prophet is Babylon 5 themed medals for EA would be a start. Since it doesn't require source code changes. Race specific medals do, although they are a good idea.

What I meant was have all the medals in one "bucket". I dont see any need for a different medal screen for each race (not yet at least). But one screen that has a place for generic commendation medal from all the races. People are doing campaigns for different races, and I would think it's best to have the possibility to give medals. So when you play EA campaign you may get EA commendation medal in your case. And if you play Centari campaign next, you might get Centauri medal sitting next to the EA medal. Then you play kind of a civillian campaign (I started making one) you might get a medal commendation medal for civillians. All of them in one medal case/screen. Thats what I was meaning.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
That's really a very good idea.

Offline Slasher

Are medals for a pilot deleted when you start a new campaign?  I never really bothered to check in all these years.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Prophet
What? It needs code changes? How so? I thought it was just simple graphics issue...

I thought so and then I realised I'm probably the only person not playing B5 as a stand-alone so I'm the only one who's going to have an issue with it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Slasher
Are medals for a pilot deleted when you start a new campaign?  I never really bothered to check in all these years.

No.  All pilot stats should remain (both medals and kills).  With the original release it stored all stats forever so even with different campaigns it should still have various medals and kills added together.  With FS2_Open it keeps all campaign specific medal and stats separate from other campaigns.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by taylor
No.  All pilot stats should remain (both medals and kills).  With the original release it stored all stats forever so even with different campaigns it should still have various medals and kills added together.  With FS2_Open it keeps all campaign specific medal and stats separate from other campaigns.
How easy would it be to do the same thing with the medals as you did with the ships?  In other words the pilot file would store the names of the medals, not the indexes.  That way different mods could have different versions of medals.tbl, and the game would only display the medals that pertain to that mod.

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Goober5000
How easy would it be to do the same thing with the medals as you did with the ships?  In other words the pilot file would store the names of the medals, not the indexes.  That way different mods could have different versions of medals.tbl, and the game would only display the medals that pertain to that mod.

Already did that (name thing) with the medals in the new code.  This was done in part to avoid problems with medals.tbl getting weird and also to support the dynamic limits for number of medals.

Currently it is still campaign based though and not a global pilot thing.  I thought about going back to a global pilot setting but kept it the current way because the stats data gets a bit unwieldy when we have to keep up with too many ships.  I would prefer the global option though.

I'll have to think on that a bit more.  It would be nice if we could go with a particular mod saved data in the pilot file to keep everything sane but that would get really messy, really fast.  After the new code has stabilized a bit more I'll try the global stats thing and just see how it works.  It may not be as bad as I think it will be.  The new format is much nicer and may very well be able to handle it without any trouble.