Author Topic: Baking Textures etc (From the Recent Builds Forum)  (Read 4084 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Baking Textures etc (From the Recent Builds Forum)
Hmmm, i've just tested it and, i can't have more than 16 textures for a model :(
Could you insert into this built the possibility to play with models with more than 16 textures ? because, when Fs2 detect a model with an outnumbered of textures,  it crashed itself.

Offline Lynx

I thought that texture limit existed since the early days of HTL?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
Hmmm, i've just tested it and, i can't have more than 16 textures for a model :(
Could you insert into this built the possibility to play with models with more than 16 textures ? because, when Fs2 detect a model with an outnumbered of textures,  it crashed itself.

A model with 16 different textures is already an outrage against performance.
Learn to uv-map and/or properly use tiled maps.
16 is more than anough to wrap everything.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I know that, but, i tested some stuff after converting some models just to see what happens.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Then why ask to fix it?  That "crash" is there to prevent such abuses of mappings so that HTL can actually accomplish a performance boost.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline redmenace

The int 3 crash is still there i think.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by MetalDestroyer

With the current setup, that's 48 passes for one model if you glow and shinemap the whole thing. It'll also be taking up that many spaces in the image library list, meaning it's likely that there'll be less room for animated explosions.

UVWrapping FTW.
-C

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

With the current setup, that's 48 passes for one model if you glow and shinemap the whole thing. It'll also be taking up that many spaces in the image library list, meaning it's likely that there'll be less room for animated explosions.

UVWrapping FTW.

oK, I'll try to UVMap them but, i'm not skilled at it.
In fact, i try to convert the X Wing Alliance model into POF. It works, but, each models have more than 16 textures except for the Tie Fighter, the only one I can play with.
I don't try to released this convert models because it's not from me.
Each texture takes about 5 Ko to 65 Ko, it's not so much for textures i think.

However, I agree with you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Import them into 3ds max or something and bake them then. That should turn 16+ maps into one big one with ease :)

Dependant on you having 3DS Max or something of course :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I don't understand when you said "bake them" ??
I have 3DS, but when i load the model, is it normal i can't see any texture but only the model ?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
You'll need to activate the rendering of those textures first.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, i went to "Render to Texture". 3DS have generated 7 textures for the whole model. Now, i'm wondering, what to do next with it ?

I try to export the model, but when open it into Ts, i don't have any textures. Is there something I forgot ?
And, now, my 3ds file take less space than the original.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:02:23 am by 1984 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
All of that sounds right.  You'll need to make sure the texture Max generated is a filetype that Truespace can load, and that it is in a location that Truespace will look for textures.  Also, be aware that the 3ds format cuts any texture names longer than 8 characters to their DOS equivalents.  You may need to reapply the map in Truespace to get it to show (but you shouldn't need to do any UV work).  The filesize is smaller I think because with only one texture the file won't be as broken up as much (thus fewer duplicate vertices) and there is less texture information to hold.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Originally posted by StratComm
All of that sounds right.  You'll need to make sure the texture Max generated is a filetype that Truespace can load, and that it is in a location that Truespace will look for textures.  Also, be aware that the 3ds format cuts any texture names longer than 8 characters to their DOS equivalents.  You may need to reapply the map in Truespace to get it to show (but you shouldn't need to do any UV work).  The filesize is smaller I think because with only one texture the file won't be as broken up as much (thus fewer duplicate vertices) and there is less texture information to hold.

Just a stupid question, how to be sure, if 3DS have save texture position into the model in .3ds ?
After the Render to Texture; what should i do ?

The textures generated are on tga format.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'm sure that the UVs (texture positions) are saved, though with baking they may be the wrong ones.  To check, I'd use either Truespace or 3dexplorer to apply the baked texture to the model as though you were giving it a new map and see how it turns out.  If it makes sense, then the new mapping saved.  If not, it didn't.  I really don't know what else to tell you.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok, i try it. But if i apply what you tell me, when i put the baked texture on my model, i don't have to fix them ? I've just to put it, and the mapping is well done ?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I think so.  Baked textures in max are generally flaky things for export; the models have 2 sets of UV maps as well as two sets of textures and I'm not really sure which gets exported.  The shrunken filesize makes me suspect that it exported the correct thing.  Anyway, just try it and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, come back here.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ok , now i undertsand ho to do, thx to you and this link ^^
http://www.planetunreal.com/fordy/gradientssmeshtutorials/lastpage.html

But, i'm wondering, why my texture is darker than the original ?
Take a look :

The left one, is from my UVmapping in 3DS, the right one, it's the original UVmapping.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 04:07:26 pm by 1984 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ah, that.  Baking textures in MAX requires proper lighting, as those maps have lighting baked in.  Play with your lighting setup (maybe a skylight with no shadowing and lower intensity as a full-bright skylight will wash out the maps) to adjust that.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Where can i setup lighting ?