Author Topic: Thoughts on the Lucifer  (Read 2060 times)

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/
Thoughts on the Lucifer
(My brain's getting tired, but I've got an idea to share)

I was thinking about my campaign, about how the EOC want's to seal off Terran-Vausdan space to keep Shivans from ever returning, but the GTVA needs some propaganda to show people that the EOC is being stupid about this. What does the GTVA use? The way the Lucifer fleet moved in FS1, using unknown and unstable nodes.

So how'd the Lucifer do this... well this is what I just thought of. What if (other than in Derelict where the Shivan Knossos appears), the Lucifer has Knossos-type technology/drives/whatever inside of itself? That those 5 reactors power not only the shields but also the devices so that the Lucifer can open up nodes to go through that we would be able to open (without a Knossos-type device).

That could go along with an idea of the role the Lucifer plays. It's got the shields so that species without beams can't hurt it, and knossos-type stuff so that it can get to where it wants to go (species homeworlds) quickly and easily.

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
wel, I think luci had a better jumpdrive than we have, it's prety simple   Shivans can use any node they want, I think that's all  
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That might explain why the shivans disappeared after the Great War. They needed the lucifer to open the nodes to Ross 128. Of course the theory only works if the lucifer is one of a kind (or at least very rare) and the shivans were over confident risking it in a way that meant they could lose the only ship they had capable of doing that.
 That said the shivans have a history of over confidence (sending a single sathanas when they had 80 more!) so it might fit.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by venom2506:
wel, I think luci had a better jumpdrive than we have, it's prety simple   Shivans can use any node they want, I think that's all  

Well, obviously the Shivans could use nodes that the GTVA considered too unstable for use, so yes the Shivans did have better subspace drives, but I don't think they could use collapsed nodes, and I bet there would be nodes considered too unstable even for standard Shivan craft to use.

Giving the Lucifer an extra level of technology (the ability to stablise collapsed, or otherwise unusable, nodes) over the rest of the Shivan fleet makes sense, it can be used to help explain why the Lucifer appears to be rare (such technology could be difficult even for Shivans to build), and perhaps gives us an alternative reason for the behaviour of the Shivans after the Lucifer was destroyed.

The Lucifer was clearly an important ship for the Shivan fleet. After its destruction, the Shivan fleet scattered and was destroyed easily, not only had they lost their command ship and most powerful vessel, but they were also unable to return home without the Lucifer drive to stablise particular subspace nodes.

Anyway, this is just my humble opinion. Feel free to blast my reasoning out of the water.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
The reasons the Shivans were so easily defeated after the destruction of the Lucifer are few and simple:

The Lucifer was a central point where all attack plans were coordinated
Without the Lucifer, their construction and repair of ships was crippled
The GTVA knew that any ship they may encounter could be destroyed with conventional attacks and so they became more bold

Was there only one Demon class in FS1? I can't remember but if there was, it was destroyed before the Lucifer wiped out Vasuda (if you completed the mission). Therefore the Shivans were already suffering a heavy loss.

Maybe the Lucifer was sent through a collapsing node to Ross128 to find the Knossos and turn it on. Presuming that the Vasudans or Terrans would have already found it, they proceeded to their homeworlds to track the device down. Or maybe to destroy the device Bosch found and prevent anyone turning the Knossos on ever again.

------------------
Homer: So I thought to myself 'What would God do?'
Bart: Mwuhaha. Locusts

I is internet proficient
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by an0n:
The reasons the Shivans were so easily defeated after the destruction of the Lucifer are few and simple:

The Lucifer was a central point where all attack plans were coordinated
Without the Lucifer, their construction and repair of ships was crippled
The GTVA knew that any ship they may encounter could be destroyed with conventional attacks and so they became more bold

Was there only one Demon class in FS1? I can't remember but if there was, it was destroyed before the Lucifer wiped out Vasuda (if you completed the mission). Therefore the Shivans were already suffering a heavy loss.

Maybe the Lucifer was sent through a collapsing node to Ross128 to find the Knossos and turn it on. Presuming that the Vasudans or Terrans would have already found it, they proceeded to their homeworlds to track the device down. Or maybe to destroy the device Bosch found and prevent anyone turning the Knossos on ever again.

there was two demons in fs1 I think.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by an0n:
Was there only one Demon class in FS1?

People, things like this are very easy to discover. All you need to do is extract all the FS1 missions into a directory and do a search in that directory for files containing the text "demon". And if you use a program like TextPad for the search, it will display the lines where the word "demon" occurs, too.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline ^Graff

In FS1, you saw two Demons: the Eva and the Tantalus.  The game hinted that there were more(I think that the the PVD Hope managed to waste one).
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by sandwich:
And if you use a program like TextPad

P11111111111111mp...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

There was more than one Demon in FS1. You see two is seperate mission (though one is destroyed, the Eva). The tech description for the Demon indicate that there is a number of them about the place.

Also, the Shivans had quite a few fighters and bombers and even they need somewhere to house them to repair and re-arm between mission. The repair bases (like the one in 'Enter the Dragon' would not really be the best in all situations. Thus they would need a carrier ship, and many of them.

------------------
'The more women there are about, the softer a wise man steps.' Saying in Arad Doman.

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website? Well once I get back up that is.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon