Author Topic: Why does my SCP wiggle and jiggle?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline J3Vr6

Why does my SCP wiggle and jiggle?
I've seen this happen for the last few builds pre 3.6 and 3.6 itself) and I haven't seen anyone else post on it, so I figured I'd bring it up.  Excuse me as I explain this since I have no idea what the technical names are for this.

It seems that the thrusters or really bright lights (but mostly thrusters as its what u see the most of) are sometimes appearing ahead of other stuff when I look at it.  If I'm flying towards a ship that's flying towards me, the thrusters will show up infront of the ship if I'm at a far distance.  As I get closer, the thrusters seem to be pushed behind the ship but every second (or something like that) they show up infront of the ship again; then fade to the back again.  

This can also be seen when you're looking at a ship from the side.  Sometimes the glow or blast of the thruster completly covers the back side of the ship.

I got 3.6 and it still shows up there, any ideas?  I haven't tried any of the environmental mapping builds yet.  I have a feeling it's the video card, but everything else in the game seems perfect ad I haven't seen other geforce 2 people complain about this....

AMD 2400xp
512 memory
Geforce 2 MX 32 megger
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Aren't you the one using the disabled Vsync?  If so, try enabling vsync again?

Just a thought...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline J3Vr6

I am no such thing.  I don't know what disabling vsync does or doesn't do.
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

vsync eliminates tearing.  It slows your fps. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
*Might* slow your FPS. I haven't really noticed a difference when I switch it on/off.
-C

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
except when you turn V_synch off the game gets all scrwey because the FPS drop and rise all the time.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline J3Vr6

Um, this still doesn't explain what I'm talking about.  Am I to have vsynch on or off?  And having it on or off is going to cure this irish jig?  Whats the smart person way of saying what's going on?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline J3Vr6

I also forgot to mention that with 3.6 (starting with the may build), I get funny things happening in the techroom.  After I play for a while (prob more than an hour) and decide to go into the tech room, some of the ships either don't show up (the part of the screen where the ship should be is completely empty) or a portion of the ship will.  Like on the vasudan destoyer hephestit or whatever it's venereal disease name is, you'll see the purple wings but not the actual spine or body of the ship...  Um, does that even make sense?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

That's undoubtedly a memory problem, I've had exactly the same thing before - perhaps textures that have already been loaded into memory aren't getting unloaded. However this behaviour didn't start in 3.6 for me, it was with an April INF build.

Offline J3Vr6

Yeah, it started for me a while back.  I remember more closely the May builds.  So what does this mean?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline J3Vr6

Update:  I tried the Vsynch disabled and I don't think my computer liked it.  It was showing 120 fps (which is higher than my normal 75 fps) and some of the thruster problems went away, but it still happens (read the first post).  Also, sometimes when I fire my primaries, the whole screen will kinda flash the color of the laser and then split into 3 frames.

And I think what lightspeed said happens too, that it's too erratic.
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Why does my SCP wiggle and jiggle?
I think I know what your problem is:
Originally posted by J3Vr6
Geforce 2 MX 32 megger

What I think you are seeing is occlusion miscalculation, and I believe it is related to the z-buffer depth.  The reason it worked ok a while back is that a far-clipping plane was established at 100km IIRC, but that was found to be unacceptable for backwards compatability so was moved way out.  It's a problem specific to old graphics cards, specifically yours (I have the same one, so I've seen the problem).  Not much can be done about it though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 10:12:35 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline J3Vr6

So what you're saying is that I have to prostitute myself and get a better graphics card?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, basically :p
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM