Author Topic: Anything else I've missed ?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline MoodyB

Anything else I've missed ?
Hey all,

Been lurking here for quite a while, and finally started playing FS2 again a few days ago. I've grabbed the latest 3.6.7 .vp files, the 2 .vp patches + the 24/11 build from CVS forum. All working well and looking fantastic :)

I was just wondering if there's anything else I've missed that's a ' must download ' ?

And since I can't search ( not enough posts I guess ), what's the default value for the ' -fov ' command line ?

Regards,

ALan

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Anything else I've missed ?
Default is 0.70 but 'officially' recommended is less, about 0.39. I personally happen to like it with value of 0.55

Also add -ambient_factor 75 to the command line
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline MoodyB

Thanks for that.

I already have -ambient factor set at 85.

One last question :p Do the - spec_***** flags work when using OpenGL as the rendering mode, or are they D3D only ?
Regards,

ALan

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
spec_wha? what's the ***** for? :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Perfect example of when not to speak when you don't know what something is.

-spec_exp, -spec_point, -spec_static, and -spec_tube should all work in OGL, but they may behave differently.  The baseline is different in the two environments, so pick your rendering mode before you start tweaking for the settings that you like.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Actually, IIIRC the formula is:
Code: [Select]
recommended fov = 2 * tan(screen width/distance of eyes from monitor)
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
One last question :p Do the - spec_***** flags work when using OpenGL as the rendering mode, or are they D3D only ?
They don't really have anything to do with OpenGL or D3D.  Only the affects of a plain -spec should look noticibly different between OpenGL and D3D but changing the settings around a little can fix that.  Personally I like the OpenGL effect better, but then I'm biased.

The -spec_* flags only affect light sources and is a general lighting thing in the engine rather than something that specifically changes the graphics API, like -ambient_factor or -ogl_spec will.  The graphics API does use those settings to apply light values but those values are again modified more dramatically by other settings.  I use "-spec_point 0.6 -spec_exp 11 -spec_static 1.2 -spec_tube 0.4".  I think I got those values from one of Bobboau's posts but I've never really bothered to play around much with the values.

When we move the ini file instead of using the registry then these values will be taken off of the cmdline and be set on a per API section basis.  That way you would be able to have perferred settings for things like ambient and specular light plus resolution and color settings for each OpenGL and D3D rather than the one-size-must-fit-all method used now.