Author Topic: HTL Lucifer RELEASE  (Read 49851 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
There is a bit of discrepancy however between the "planetary" beam cannon and the one used against the GTD Legion --- the planetary one seen in prototype removed cutscenes and the final "ravaging of Vasuda Prime" was BLUE (as is Vasudan Admiral's), and the one used against the GTD Legion was YELLOW like the Shivan Superlasers that fire from the two "arms" that downed the GTD Galatea in FS1.

Since we can't know for sure which is which, and arguing over it would be pointless, I suggest that the only logical explanation is that while the Lucifer's two forward arms always fire Shivan Superlaser (yellow) as established in FS1, the two side "Claw Emitters" are capable of BOTH "Shivan Planet Pounder" (as established in FS1 prototype cutscenes) and "Shivan Superlaser" (as established in FS2). If one thinks of the blue planet pounder beam as simply an overcharged or higher grade version of Superlaser (i.e. BFGreen vs. BGreen), then it makes perfect sense --- like blender settings, the Lucifer's side cannons can be set for destroying other ships or even planets as they please.

That being said, FREDdding or whatnot could change the side cannons' firing modes at will as the mission designer sees fit, right? So there really isn't a problem, really.

And I LOVE the look of the planetary bombardment cannon --- it looks exactly like the one from the cutscene to me =3

Or you could just say that thanks to some kind of reaction in Vasuda Prime's atmosphere, the visible light of the beam was shifted up to blue. :p
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
another possibility: a shoddy weapon job just like the Manticore or the Scorpion or whatnot. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Meh, it's really up in the air, so just arm whatever you wish wherever you wish I say. ;)

Personally, I reckon the planet pounders are on the sides (p'raps it rolls to fire alternate shots while the previous cannon cools or some such) mainly because in the first cbani you see the lucifer in, you see the side prong things close up, quivvering with glowing tips (Ack! I _KNEW_ I forgot something :( ), as it's comming into a system to attack.
Then, in the vprime cbani, the satis flies past the camera in orbit, with the lucy in the background, but instead of the arms pointing at the planet, the side....lump things are - in the general direction of the fleeing satis' approximate point of origin. See?

However, it's too vague for anything solid, and really not worth a debate, so do whatever you like best. :)

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to get glowpoints to flickker like engine glows? AFAIK, it can't currently be done properly without using actual engine glow-points, and most people have the shivans using those weird firey ones atm. Creating multiple glow banks with different blink timings would work, but it's an incredibly cumbersome way to do it no?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
For those of you that are interested (and like the cutscenes better than the in-game effects) I've prepared an altered version of the glowmaps.

Click me if you like Christmas trees! (fixed)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:48:40 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
jesus christ, do you ever sleep? :eek2:

skinning god = galemp for sho. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
jesus christ, do you ever sleep? :eek2:

Read the signature. ;)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WMCoolmon

Damn, that is so true.
-C

Offline Mewgen1

Sweet mother...  Ive been wondering if anyone would make a new version of the cutscene textures.  And galemp a fantastic job of it too. But for osme reason the link leads to the first picture :/  Any chance you could fix that please?

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
MY GOD DASODHFIOPSSIJ THAT'S BEAUTIFUL. Thank you so damn much, I forgive you for the eternal-seeming wait.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
What you say?

Aren't you hilarious. If you must know, it's the name of my particular god that I worship, as shown by the fact that it comes after "my god" in my last post.

EDIT:: Also, if it isn't too much to ask of Galemp or even VA himself... could you make animated glowmaps for it? I <3 those on the rest of the Shivan ships.

EDIT 2:: I should probably read the thread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:12:06 pm by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Heh, not me - if someone wants to, that's fine, but keep in mind that every. single. frame. of such an animation is considered to be a separate texture used by the ship. ;)

I'm going to be waiting for Bobs material system to come into play before delving into animated texturing - hopefully we'll be able to set something up to 'animate' the glows without taking up anywhere near the RAM requirements even a basic animated glowmap uses now. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Couldn't the SCP team do something like programming FSO to accept animated .gifs as skins?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Couldn't the SCP team do something like programming FSO to accept animated .gifs as skins?

Never gona happen, sorry.
I'm no coder, but I know that using gif is impossible thanks to the myriad copyright issues with the format (the very same thing prevents the use of mp3).

Bobbau is already working on a material system - it will make it possible to do a myriad texture and shader effects without pumping a huge animated file (...ergo a lot of frames) into the memory.

I suggest testing whatever Bobbau and the rest of the SCP team are putting out and bughunting like a good Mantis.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

That's basically what ANIs are.
-C

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Just Wow !! I like them.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
How would I go about getting the Lucifer to have those bombardment beams ingame? I have the weapon in the weapons tbl, but I don't know how to edit the ships table too well.

Edited for clarity.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well, easiest and most compatible way to do it would be to create a .tbm (just a .txt), and put the following as Wanderer said:

lucifer-shp.tbm
----file start----
#Ship Classes
$Name: SD Lucifer
+nocreate
$Subsystem: turret18,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "LucyBbtCannon" )
$Subsystem: turret19,0.5,0.5
    $Default PBanks: ( "LucyBbtCannon" )
#End
---end of file---

That way, even if you're using it in a mod, it won't complicate the tables. :)
(Yes, I'm only just realising how helpful .tbm's really are - thanks WMC :D )

Edit: Hey, the highlight spontaneously combusted.  :shaking:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 08:10:18 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Twisted Infinities

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Well, today I figured out how to make them activate(weapon changing in FRED), but which turrets are the ones in this picture?

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/twisted-infinities-va/HTL-Lucifer/LucyPlanetaryBombardmentBeam1.jpg

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
They'd be the ones you enabled if you used the .tbm Wanderer posted - turrets 18 and 19 that didn't exist on the original model. Basically, that .tbm will add the table entries for those two turrets, allowing them to be used in-game, and it will by default set their weapons to the bombardment cannon. :)
Twisted Infinities