Author Topic: shiptypes.tbl  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
cant get far enough in game to test that afterburner trigger. says it cant find a model or something.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are the fog distance entries the same as those you incorporated into the nebula.tbl in that test build you released some time back.  I assume that this makes said previous build obsoliete.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
cant get far enough in game to test that afterburner trigger. says it cant find a model or something.

Was that the exact error message...?

Are the fog distance entries the same as those you incorporated into the nebula.tbl in that test build you released some time back.  I assume that this makes said previous build obsoliete.

Yes. :nod: That section is going to be removed from nebula.tbl.

Yay!! Somebody tried to download it!! :D

I'm very interested in this too and I'll be giving it a go. Just a bit tied up at the moment. Incidentally I was wondering. By default most FS2 AI classes (cruiser etc...) try to broadside when they get close to an enemy. What does a fighter do? Just keep flying at it till collision avoidance code kicks in? Starts bombing runs? Slows to stop facing it?

It seems to depend on the ship type, which is going to be very interesting to try and implement in table form. Basically it looks like if the ship is big, the AI starts trying to strafe it. Haven't really gotten into those functions yet though, so what exactly "strafe" means I'm not 100% sure.

Edit @ MetalDestroyer: I'm not sure. Part of the problem with FRED2 is that it uses a lot of arrays that are separate from fs2_open. I think valid orders will cause stuff that's only in that list to appear in initial orders, but some stuff in the list may just not be supported as an initial order.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:27:51 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Are capital ship turrets shooting at anything for anyone with this build?

OK, fixed this in next build. This also fixed the problem with always not trying to attempt a broadside. Most excellent. :nod: :yes:

Edit: This has nothing but bugfixes (I think), so here's another build (no shiptypes.tbl):

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/shiptypes4.zip
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:39:38 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Was that the exact error message...?

i think its more because my mod tables have gone to **** lately. im gonna redo them from scratch at some point.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Ahh, alright. :nod:
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i l give it another try once i clean the mod directory up abit.
this is what i get for playing around with every new feature that comes out :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Axem

I just tried out the afterburner trigger but nothing seemed to happen. :(

If higher powers let me, I should be able to get you a model for testing.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tried to make it so one of the chimera's little missle flaps would open up when the burners were fred, i couldnt get past the fact that my mod hates new builds lately. ive spent an entire day fixing some stuff up to where i should be able to test your build. but im dead and i gotta work tomorrow (which is today btw) :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
$Target as Threat:   YES

Target as threat - Not sure what this does :p It has something to do with you targetting stuff.

Might this have to do with whether the hostile targetting feature will skip over this?  Cargo for example, may be hostile or friendly, but won't be selected if you use the hostile/friendly targetting.  Might this control this feature?  Would objects classified as "no" atomatically appear as "grey" on the HUD?

Are you gonna be able to incorporate a toggle for whether huge weapons will target a class?

If its possible to toggle flank attacks, is it possible to designate other vectors to attack with?  With FS2 ships for example, the Mulloch has the highest number of anti-cap beams on its ventral.  Actually, with the diversity of ships, this would be better to have as a ships table entry rather than a class entry, so forget it.

Offline WMCoolmon

TP - that's exactly what it does, actually. I should probably reword that since it affects "F" too. I'm not sure about the grey though. I think I saw that in another section of the code and though about trying to work out a special radar color for certain objects.

Huge weapons:
Probably. I haven't really gone in to turret code yet, because in terms of turret targetting order I wanted to do something special - set it up so that you could specify a list of what turrets would attack and what precedence they'd give it.

The underlying goal, though, is to remove all default type distinctions from the code to make it as flexible as possible. Specific requests are handy tho.

Attack vector:
Not rly, at least not as easily as I can make types duplicate the behavior of other types.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
While we're on the subject of huge weapons, it might do well to add the ability to designate whether a class may or may not carry huge weapons.  For example, you can't put a "terran huge turret", or a sentry gun class, even though it is technically a sentry gun.  FS got around this by designating such ships as "cruisers" (RBC is one good example).

Also, what is the limit for the number of classes, and may any pre-existing classes be deleted, or will the code auto-generate them if they're not in the table?

Offline WMCoolmon

Once I get shiptypes.tbl set up in the actual codebase, rather than as an external file, it'll be used with modular tables. However if you make a file called shiptypes.tbl, it'll override the default file.

There's no limit to ship types, if you want to delete a pre-existing type you'll have to replace the main shiptypes.tbl file. Right now because shiptypes.tbl is incomplete you'll probably get errors if you add a class (easily fixable, I'll make a mental note to do that later) however, you need to use one of the default types in order for it to function correctly. It's a little confusing but if you specify "cruiser" and then "gunship" (assuming you have a table with the gunship entry) then all hardcoded defaults will act like a cruiser, while the stuff moved to shiptypes.tbl will act like whatever the gunship entry says.

With the flags-error-fix update I'll reverse the precedence order because it makes more sense (ie "gunship" then "cruiser" will use gunship shiptypes.tbl values)
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
k, i cleaned up my mod so that it can run newer builds.
i get this:

Code: [Select]
Error: ships.tbl(line 157:
Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:] or [$Name], found [$animation=triggered].

File:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Source Code\fs2_open\code\parse\parselo.cpp
Line: 591
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

so i assumed you changed the old $animation=triggered and $type="afterburner" to $animation: triggered and $type: "afterburner". making that change i ran it again and it got me into a mission. none the less the animation did not work. nor did any ot the other animations. also it seems "show ship" is broken, in this and the latest cvs build.

i also have a question of an unrelated, off topic nature. is the spiecies_defs.tbl has been made modular yet?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 05:30:39 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Roanoke

I'm very interested in this too and I'll be giving it a go. Just a bit tied up at the moment. Incidentally I was wondering. By default most FS2 AI classes (cruiser etc...) try to broadside when they get close to an enemy. What does a fighter do? Just keep flying at it till collision avoidance code kicks in? Starts bombing runs? Slows to stop facing it?

I remember watching Whitestars with Bomber AI and they just appeared to surround Cap Ships and pummel it, moving position occassionaly. Isn't that why Subsystems have paths BTW ?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
checking some more i find that none of the builds sence the 1st have working animations. might want to look into that.

*edit*
after further review ive dkiscovered that animations do indeed work under recent cvs builds, just not this one. it seems it has problems parsing the animation code.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:14:36 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
  • attempts broadside - specifies whether ship tries to broadside when attacking. However in testing I had an odd problem...ships always chase each other. I tried the build from the 18th, and ships would broadside, but for some reason they aren't in this build - even though I can confirm that the option is working in the code via debugger, and turning it on and off has different effects. This even happens when I remove the toggle and put the original one back in, so I'm guessing this is either broken in CVS (and not just my codebase) or one of the subsidiary functions used by the broadside function has been changed by my changes somewhere down the line.

Something like this will be very handy for TAP.
Will this work on any ship, even fighters (ie. Homeworld corvettes) ?

Offline WMCoolmon

Yup.

Nuke: Use ":" instead of "=", I made the swap in my local codebase,it'll be going in CVS once I get things finalized (Mostly I need to edit the default table, make it look all pretty in he code.)
-C

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Awsome. Thankee. :)

Is there any developments with being able to use and switch between playable turrets?

Offline WMCoolmon

-C