Author Topic: Newb Questions  (Read 2265 times)

I really tried going through the forums to find my answers, but without a search feature it was pretty difficult.  First off, FS3 was always my favorite space sim and after waiting around for a new combat space sim to be created, I decided to go ahead and play it again (I didn't like Freelancer much).  When I did a few searches online and found all this SCP stuff, I was amazed!  So much for just re-installing the old game.  So I did a lot of reading in the forums and wiki and FAQs and have gotten everything going, but I had a few questions:

1)  Do I need to install patch 3?  I was a little wary of using a CVS build for stability, combined with the fact that I wasn't sure precisely which to use.  Am I missing out on a lot of good stuff?

2)  Should I be using the 3.6.8 Beta VP files?  I am currently using 3.6.7.  Again, same questions about which build to use, etc for 3.6.8, so I just went with 3.6.7.  Same thing, though, am I missing anything really neat?

3)  I wasn't 100% sure what options to enable.  I know "play around and try them!"  Here's what I have enabled and if anyone sees anything that's really neat I'm missing or if I have one that's really not recommended, please holler: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_367_p4.exe -mod SCP -spec -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -smart_shields -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -snd_preload -env -fps  -ambient_factor 75
(I enabled smart shields b/c I was playing the game on HARD and it's, well, hard; I also tried toying around with the recommended FOV .39, but it was just too difficult with guys flying off my screen so fast and all - maybe a compromise?  Shrug...)  Some of the options I was wondering about were -env since it's under "Experimental" (along that same line the -alpha_env flag)  How about the -decals option?

4)  I read a lot of stuff about features working only in DirectX, but then I read posts where (what looked like) "the pros" recommended using OpenGL.  Both seems to run fine (OpenGL seemed a bit faster.)  Are there still effects that don't work in OpenGL?  My system is not incredible, but its decent: AMD64 3500+, GeForce 6600GT (128), 1 Gig of RAM. (I'm running 1600x1200x32, FWIW.)

5)  I've seen nothing noted on it anywhere, but I thought i'd ask.  Is there any multi-monitor support?  I'd read that X2/X3 had it and it sounded neat.

Sorry for all the questions - I would really search for answers if I was allowed. :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
1) The CVS Builds are more stable, on average, than the official builds.
2) The beta vp will only work with the newest cvs builds, so unless you are using them, you're stuck.
3) Looks fine to me, though env won't work with OGL and is experimental anyway.
4) DX hasn't been as optimized as OGL, since there's only two coders who do DX and they're often MIA. Your system is excellent, really, and if you can run DX, go ahead, but OGL will be more stable and faster.
5) Nope, none.

EDIT: Oh, :welcome:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
4)  I read a lot of stuff about features working only in DirectX, but then I read posts where (what looked like) "the pros" recommended using OpenGL.  Both seems to run fine (OpenGL seemed a bit faster.)  Are there still effects that don't work in OpenGL?  My system is not incredible, but its decent: AMD64 3500+, GeForce 6600GT (128), 1 Gig of RAM. (I'm running 1600x1200x32, FWIW.)
OpenGL is missing cell shading support and the evironment mapping support that D3D has.  OpenGL can end up using slightly more memory in general than D3D does since it keeps both a system and an API copy of each texture (except under OS X).  While this does use more memory it can help increase speed and prevents constantly going to the disk for graphics since they are always available in memory.  OpenGL has more programmer support so it gets more attention for bugs and optimizations.  OpenGL has some problems on ATI video cards, however these are relatively minor graphical glitches and shouldn't effect gameplay.

D3D is missing better mipmap support and texture filtering support that OpenGL has.  It's also missing quite a few optimizations which lead to slower rendering and texture access which isn't quite as good as OpenGL with the current code.  D3D also has quite a few bugs and several known memory leaks.  D3D only gets some support from part time programmers so if it has a bug then it will likely stay broken indefinitely unless one of the other programmers takes the time to track down the problem and fix it.  Specular mapping doesn't work properly with newer ATI drivers so you'll have to do without specmapping, or downgrade the drivers to work with D3D, but then you can't reliably use OpenGL.

5)  I've seen nothing noted on it anywhere, but I thought i'd ask.  Is there any multi-monitor support?  I'd read that X2/X3 had it and it sounded neat.
Short answer, no.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

So it sounds like I should probably use D3D, so that I could use environment mapping, all things being equal.  Btw, what exactly is environment mapping?  Would that be, for example, a ship highlighting red when a red laser blast fired by it?

If I wanted to use a CVS build, would i just pick the latest?

Where can I find the 3.6.8 Beta VPs?

Thanks again,
Matthew

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Ship lighting like what you're talking about is the Specular lighting actually, and you'll probably want that over env mapping if you have to make a choice. I'm partial to OpenGL. And the 3.6.8 betas are in the Freespace Upgrade Project forum I think.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Env mapping is the environment reflecting on the hull. Like nebulas on cocpit glass.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Where's the "recommended" FOV specified? I wrote a thread on this, but I don't remember really recommending it...just pointing out that it was probably more realistic, but could be more annoying to play with, which was why Volition used the one that they did.

Not to mention that there's not really a single value, just a formula.
-C

I found a recommended setting here under the FOV section:
http://www.shatteredstar.org/ssx/groups/freespace/scpinstallation.html

And thanks again everyone for all the help!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i really want env mapping for ogl, sence d3d is broke and crashes when i enable env, at least for me it does.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
i really want env mapping for ogl, sence d3d is broke and crashes when i enable env, at least for me it does.
It's still not ready yet but that's more of a general code problem than a technical problem.  I need to revamp more of the extension and texture system for OGL to be able to handle all of this stuff so that it's not a horrible mess like the D3D code is.  That's pretty low priority for me right now though with new pilot code, new input code and new sound code coming first.

But it does basically work, though it could use some better blending and what not (and this screenshot sucks)...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
will it still use the alpha chanel of the shine map for the env map?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Jopi

• In the army now, TJ 163
I keep getting this error when I start up the fs2_open. It occurs right after the splash screen is shown. I've installed textures.vp, models.vp, effects.vp and core.vp. I also have the Derelict.vp there, but I did disable Derelict before starting up the fs2_open. I just extracted the vp files to the main folder, haven't done anything else besides configuring the launcher.
Below are the command line prompt I use, and the error I get.

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_367.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -snd_preload

Error: mv_textures-shp.tbm(2):
Error: Required token = [$Species:], found [$POF file:   cruiser03x.pof]
in ship: SC Cain.

File:parse/parselo.cpp
Line: 551
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You need to use the build from the CVS Builds thread in the recent builds forum if you want to use the latest media VP files.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline antimog

I get that same error and i'm using the 1229 standard build from that cvs thread. Is there a newer build than that?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
That error should not occur with 29/12/05 CVS build. Are you sure you changed the exe file from the launcher? With 'Browse' button on top of the launcher window. And use 3.6.8 beta mediavps with 29/12 as fully patched 3.6.7 mediavps will give errors with it.

And welcome to HLP:
:welcome:
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That error shouldn't even be possible with the 12/29 CVS build...
-C