Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 147757 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Are you free that night (tonight, actually :p)? I would like to have at least two other people available before we try scheduling something. I miss the days in the summer when we regularly had five or six people in watsisname's D2 games. :(

Do you have D3, by the way? I know Mars does and there is someone on another forum I go to who is interested in playing with us, although the timezones may be a bit of an issue.

1000th post in this thread, by the way. It's certainly been quite a while since we first started playing these games back in February.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I'm free until Sunday (not counting New Year's eve)

Timezones are always an issue, it comes with having so much Real Life.

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
Sup guys!  Hope everyone had a great Christmas season this year!

So yeah, I would love to get back into these D2 matches.  I think I'll be free until next Tuesday.  And just so you know, I got d2 and d3.  Look forward to seeing you guys in the mines!
Band kids rule

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i finally got d2xxl running somewhat stable again and sence i got banned from yet another ragnarok online server, looks like im up for games.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I, too, have d3 but I've had no luck getting multiplayer net play to work with anyone I've tried it with. And, my d2x-xl seems to like to stop working a few days after installation. I just keep reinstalling, although last time I played it online with watisname, etc. I had the "can only see some of the other players, but not all of them" glitch. Has this been resolved?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
try a new player profile, that fixed all my problems.

i got to work at the moment but if anyone starts a game i might play when i get back.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ulala, what specific problem are you having with D3 multiplayer?  Is one of you attempting to host your own game, or are you trying to join a pre-existing server?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
We were actually able to play D3 pretty successfully at one point. I think we had fewer problems with that than in D2.

The current D2X-XL version seems to be slightly unstable. I'm getting occasional crashes (in SP) with it.

Offline Ulala

Ulala, what specific problem are you having with D3 multiplayer?  Is one of you attempting to host your own game, or are you trying to join a pre-existing server?

One person tried to host, and I tried to join. It failed. Then I tried to host, he tried to join, it failed. Finally, some time later, watsisname thought he might have had things figured out (we're both on routers), so he hosted, I tried to join, but it failed. I couldn't see/join anyone's game. I haven't really bothered to try to join pre-existing/dedicated servers.

Nuke: I think I've tried that, but I'll give it another go just to be certain.

CP5760: Did someone host a D3 game, or did you all join the same pre-existing server? I sure wouldn't mind getting in on some D3 too if I can.

Also, if the latest version of d2x-xl is slightly unstable, should we use an older version, maybe one or two before the current?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I used to host in those days and it ran quite well with four people. The issues with the invisible games generally had to do with improper port forwarding settings on the host's firewall; once we figured that out, joining the game was no longer a problem.

The site doesn't have any old versions, so we have to use the newest one. Creating a new pilot may have gotten rid of the crashes for me, although I only tried it for a few minutes.

Offline Ulala

Well, I'd sure like to get some D2 or D3 action in. If you guys plan a game, try and reach me in the HLP IRC channel or even on AIM (my sn: Ulala321) and I'd be stoaked to join in.  :nod:  Unless we plan in advance, someone will have to inform me, as I'm not viewing this thread at all times.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
You can always play via KALI. I have fixed some major KALI related bugs in D2X-XL just recently. Current version as I am writing this is 1.9.84. I will not add new stuff, but currently am seeing to improve stability.

I've finally gotten mine working, so I'm available anytime I'm not involved with school.  :D

I've never played multiplayer Descent before, but I pride myself on being a quick learner so I think I should provide some fun.  :p

Any files beyond D2X-XL required?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Music1an

• Trumpeter and pianist for life!
Only levels :p 
See you in the mines!
Band kids rule

Oh wow. It's been ages since I played.

I might be able to play tomorrow. I'll see if I can find what I need to play.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If you guys want to set up something, I should be available. We need to find someone who can host reliably though. watsisname had an excellent connection but hasn't been here in a while. I guess he got busy with real life like the rest of us.

I've never played multiplayer Descent before, but I pride myself on being a quick learner so I think I should provide some fun. :p

The rest of us haven't played in months anyway, so we would all be rusty. :p

Well, that's certainly a relief on my end. :p

My connection is fairly good. Comcast High Speed. If no one else wants to host I can try it.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have the same thing (the 6m/768k service). I can take three or so players, but it starts to lag a bit beyond that. I can accept more players in D3 though.

Let's try setting up a game tonight or tomorrow night. It looks like we have enough people interested now to get something going again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:44:43 am by CP5670 »

About times though...

I don't know where you people all live, but I'm guessing we'll have several different timezones here.

I live in the GMT MST zone of USA, so that last post of yours took place a bit after midnight, CP. I think we ought to get the time differences straightened out.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:51:07 pm by Dark Hunter »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
GMT is in the UK. :confused: I'm on EST/EDT (5 hours behind GMT). I'm just awake all night on most days. :D