Author Topic: a noob and his questions  (Read 2250 times)

Offline rcrph

a noob and his questions
Is there a method to convert missions from an older version of fred2_open to a newer version ?

Where are the sound files and avi. files hidden in the game.  I can't find a file folder labeled as such and would like to edit the sounds. 

BTW, I remember in the old days when FS was new, how great the forum was.  It's good to see that traditions like that exist in the TBP forum.  Many thanks.   :) :)
Better living through chemistry

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: a noob and his questions
Is there a method to convert missions from an older version of fred2_open to a newer version ?

how old are they? if they are fred2_open they should be compatible to another... if they are not post the error report you get from fred here (there should be one)

Where are the sound files and avi. files hidden in the game. I can't find a file folder labeled as such and would like to edit the sounds.

sounds and voice are stored inside the core, the EMW-speech and the RW.vp (folders "voice" and "sound"). the anis are inside the core, the EMW-interanims and the RW.vp...

how to look inside a .vp? - get the vp-viewer form this page(bottom of the list):
http://www.descent-network.com/descman/
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline rcrph

Ok, I've dl'ed vpview32.  How do I incorporate wav. files from other sources into to viewer so that they can be used in a mission. 

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
It depends on what you are doing. What kind of sounds or rather for what purpose?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline rcrph

I have some wav. files that are explosions and beeps and speech wav.s like "general quarters" . I used these eons ago with FS1 and FS2.  Back then there was a file called special that you could place these wav.s in  and then use them in-game.  Apparently this is no longer the case.

Offline Slasher

You can still use them that way, although the preferred method of distributing campaigns with their own voice overs/sound files is by packaging them up in a .vp.  For the "old fashioned" method you speak of, simply put the speech files you want in the data/voice/X directory of youre choosing.  Replace "X" with "briefing," "debriefing," "special," or "command_briefings."  data/voice/special should contain all the voice files you want played in-mission (while you're flying around, not the de/briefings). 

Sound effects such as explosions and weapons fire are another matter, and depending on whether or not you're overriding existing sound effects or making new ones it can entail some editing.

Offline rcrph

I guess I must be as dense as a black hole.  What program do I use to convert the wav.s to vp files.  I have VP view but haven't figured out how to use it.  BTW, thanks for your help.

Offline Slasher

Nah, times just change, that's all. :) The information in this link should still be up-to-date.  It has directions on how to get your content into a .vp file.