Author Topic: Bombers  (Read 9564 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Donar. It makes an appearance in MindGames :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
It's spelled "Boanerges"

I thought it was "Coffin". :nervous:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I never liked the Boaner(ges), it never seemed to really do anything better than an Ursa, and it completely lacked primary firepower. You've got to wonder why Terran R&D keeps on replacing really good designs (the Orion, Ursa, Medusa) with not so good ones (the Hecate, Boanerges, Artemis) granted there are advantages and disadvatages, but it shouldn't be debatable, the newer ones should be so much better than the older that there is no question which is better.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The Artemis is a good bomber, but it really should be considered a replacement to the Athena.  It's too light to be a true replacement to the Medusa, and its primary banks are located such that they can be of at least some use in a dogfight.  The Medusa/Ursa actually serve markedly similar roles when you're not using heavy bombs.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'm more of an interceptor kind of guy, but the medusa is my favorite retail bomber. I'm working on a modded zeus though.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline bfobar

That Vanir thingy is full on retard sandwiches.

On the B-17 topic, I think an ursa sized bomber with a single smallish bomb bay but a whole load of turrets would make for a cool gunship class of ship. I'd say 8 turrets and 8 primaries, but nothing too strong on the turrets. just prometheus or light blobs. A single rear firing heavy flak cannon or a few interceptor missle turrets would be fun too.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The Artemis was a light bomber, the Medusa is not. It was never supposed to replace it.

The Sekhmet is easily the best bomber. It is fast, manueverable, has very strong shields and armor, yet it also carries a huge payload.

The Bakha comes in at second place for me.

The Boanerges would be a good bomber if it was actually capable of reaching its target intact (same with the Ursa). It can be quite dangerous simply because of the rediculous number of Helios bombs it could carry, not because of its glaring faults.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline bfobar

At least the Ursa gets a pea shooter. The problem with the Boanerges is that it usually gets blown up long before it can shoot all of its bombs off. And the fact that it fits an odd number of torpedoes per bay, and the bays are differently sized. In my mind, the perfect heavy bomber has 1-2 turrets, preferrably 2, and three equal sized bays that fit even numbers of torpedoes when they're loaded up. I think thats how the vasudan bombers usually are. Speed really helps too. and 4 guns on the same primary bank. Dangit, why are the vasudan bombers so ugly and so good at the same time?

Offline aceofspades

• Janitor on a SJ Sathanas
Vasudan bombers=cool.
I wonder if the Shivans eat chocolate? Or play FS2, for that matter.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Artemis was a light bomber, the Medusa is not. It was never supposed to replace it.

However as there is no Terran medium bomber then, the Artemis defaults to the role.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Doesn't anyone remember the Zeus? As far as I know it is at least classified as a bomber. Zeus is the replacement for the Athena. Artemis seems to pretty much be the generic bomber fot the GTA, just like Medusa did. And Boanerges is a failed attempt at creating a heavy bomber.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
So in simple terms:
The Athena = Light bomber
The Zeus = Failed attempt at new light bomber
The Medusa  = Medium bomber
The Artemis = New light bomber
The Ursa = Heavy bomber
The Boanerges = Failed attempt at new heavy bomber

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I thought the Zeus was a good successor to the Athena, but simply not needed, for the days of the Strike Bomber were long gone. Anyway, we don't really see it all that much in action, as most Zeus units defected to the NTF, so we can hardly judge.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
My first impression of the Zeus was in the Silent Threat mission Hellfire when a single Shivan blob turret ripped through my virtually undamaged sheilds and disabled my Zeus, with considerable hull damage.  :hopping:

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
The Zeus is kinda useless. But I like it. Flying it is a nice challenge. And I kinda like how it looks too...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Zeus is excellent for what it was designed for: light strike bombing.  Anyone who says otherwise hasn't used it properly.

The Zeus is far from a failure.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Just so we're on the same page, a strike bomber would zip in, destroy a Rakshasha, and zip out, right? Or that cargo / fighter depot in Derelict. I guess it would be useful in those cases.

When I had the Freespace 2 Demo, back in 2001, I text modded the second mission (I forgot the name screw it, and it's one of my personal favorites) so that I could fly in a Zeus bomber, I easily disabled the Moloch, so your right, it is apperently good for something.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
Medusa for me, please! :D It looks so sexy and it packs a one hell of a punch.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline ZmaN

However as there is no Terran medium bomber then, the Artemis defaults to the role.

maybe the Artemis D.H.?  idk...
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.