Author Topic: Suggestion for a new feature (HUD distance info in Multitargets)  (Read 10077 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: Suggestion for a new feature (HUD distance info in Multitargets)
Hey, I have been able to make a try with the new Backslash's build and I've noticed that exiting subspace doesn't work. When I press Alt-j, the subspace sound plays but I get no exiting message neither subspace is engaged.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Woo, look at my new SCP icon ;)

Heh, yeah I was wrong about the F3 window -- it does update, how nice.  I didn't know you could click the wing icons to expand the list to show all the ships.  What can I say, this window is still new to me :D

I'll make the aiming point smaller if I can figure it out... the current method was really easy, just make a stripped-down function that displays the same way the standard aimpoint does, primary weapon only.  If one of the other existing icons is the size we want, or at least less obtrusive, I'll use that.  Of course, if you want ALL the targeting aiming points (including the original) to be smaller, I could whip up a little image file to put in data\interface to try.

Don't know what's up with the alt-j.  Could be I messed something up trying to import the latest CVS -- the stuff I've coded myself has nothing to do with jumping at all.  Of course my build is unofficial until I get the bugs worked out and can commit.  Meanwhile I'll try a new compile when I get home, I'm currently out of town.  But thanks for the feedback!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Any news on this, Backslash?

Have you solved the alt-j issue? Have you made any progress on the multitargeting enhacements? Have you submited the changes to SCP (I've just made an update and I've seen lots of changes from my previous version)?

(As you can see I'm getting anxious and you are spending more than 2 hours in coding them  :D)

OTOH, keep aiming point sizes as they are now. I think it's a less priority enhacement.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Backslash

Yeah looks like I missed the May exam  :p

Sorry man, we're in kind of a feature-freeze at the moment, getting rid of bugs and stuff.  This is too big a change for now.

On the sort of bright side, by the time I can submit it, it'll probably be in such good shape that no one will have any possible objection, maybe  :D

There is one way you could help.  Hopefully you've got a decent collection of mods and campaigns from here and there?  Well please do a search, find ANY mention of "+Hotkey: 8" (no quotes) in missions, besides FSPort.  (Use some text editor that has 'find in files' to save time.)

I can do most of your suggested groups somewhat easily, I think (though depending on what you find above I have to change how it works so as to not break compatibility).  It's the autoupdate that's a bit more tricky (and yet useful enough that I still want to do that, provided there's no performance hit).  Kinda busy this week but hopefully the weekend will be good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 02:04:53 am by Backslash »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Of course I will search that string. I've got the next mod/campaigns (as I remember):

+ Derelict SCP Version (my favourite campaign over them all even FS2 main campaign).
+ Shrounding The Light
+ Trascend
+ Sync
+ Fsport (v2.3 and 3.0)
+ Deux ex Machina

OTOH, what is the problem that can happen if "+Hotkey: 8" is present? I can also check it with your FIRST build or with your SECOND build.

And please, can anyone tell me a free Windows editor or text finder with find in files function? (Just to avoid opening every single .fs2 file).

Offline Backslash

Some people like PSPad, some people like TextPad, some people like others that I don't know about.

The +Hotkey: 8 thing isn't really a PROBLEM, it's just a compatibility thing I might have to keep in mind.  According to comments in the code, "if the hotkey is the last hotkey in the list, then don't add it either since this hotkey is a special marker to indicate that this ship should remain invisible in the hotkey screen until after mission starts."  and as far as I can tell, the last hotkey in the list is number 8.  So if I add more hotkeys this won't work any more.  (It's already broken in my test builds.)

It's a hackish way of coding this that :v: did.  I aim to make it more expandable for the future (with cross-platform possibilities among other things), but if any campaigns use it I may have to put in a workaround.  So far I see FSPort 3.0 did it, but I don't know if it was intentional (I wonder if it was in FS1?).  Otherwise, I suspect nobody knew about this feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I use Windows Grep for stuff like that. Does a pretty good job and it's nagware  (and not even that persistant about nagging). 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Google for WinGrep.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
The +Hotkey: 8 thing isn't really a PROBLEM, it's just a compatibility thing I might have to keep in mind.  According to comments in the code, "if the hotkey is the last hotkey in the list, then don't add it either since this hotkey is a special marker to indicate that this ship should remain invisible in the hotkey screen until after mission starts."  and as far as I can tell, the last hotkey in the list is number 8.  So if I add more hotkeys this won't work any more.  (It's already broken in my test builds.)

I must be FULLY nerd, but what are the hotkeys?, where do you set them?, where is the hotkey screen?  :mad:

I mean:
+ I only use numbers keys after command (c) to say what to do and who is doing that.
+ While playing I've set Fxx to diferent groups from F5 to F12 including F8 WITHOUT problems, and they all seem to work in the same way. (Although I think I've never used F8 with your builds, I will try all Fxx keys with them ASAP).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Those are the hotkeys. F5 = hotkey 1 cause F1 to F4 are used for other functions by the game.

Google for WinGrep.

Top result is the one I linked to. The others don't seem much of an improvement. One guy actually wanted $149 for his version of grep. :rolleyes:

Offline Backslash

yeah, forgot to explain.  F5 is directly coded as +Hotkey: 0, F6 as +Hotkey: 1, and count up from there.  so F12 is +Hotkey: 7, and 8 is off the scale.

Sounds like you're already doing everything right, just a mismatch of terms ;)  F3 is the hotkey screen I meant.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Top result is the one I linked to.

Whoops.  Didn't even see the second page... :o :nervous:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
yeah, forgot to explain.  F5 is directly coded as +Hotkey: 0.

Flagellates self with the zeroth order cat O' eight tails. :rolleyes:

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, I did the "+Hotkey: 8" search in the following mod/campaigns:
+ Origininal FS2.
+ SCP FS2 (media vp 3.6.8. delta)
+ Port v2.3 and 3.0
+ Derelict SCP
+ Inferno
+ Sync
+ Trascend
+ Deux Ex Machina
+ Lightning Marshal (1 to 4)
+ Shrounding The Light

and this string only appears in Port (both versions).

But, I was playing a bit with it and I think you should fix it as it allows to make missions with more briefing quality (although I've never used F3 window in briefing before):

+ It seems that this feature allows to hide ships that are going to be present from the mission start BUT you are not supposed to know about them.

+ I don't know how, there's another way to show ships in F3 window that they're not actually present when the mission starts (example: a mission in Derelict where you are supposed to attack a pirate base, and when you start, the base is already destroyed).

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
This one goes to Backslash:

Yesterday, I downloaded and gave a quick try to Taylor's latest build, (I didn't find the hidden feature, but I will keep trying...  :mad:). It looks simply GREAT and it has solved asteroid field issues. BUT, after trying your beta builds I do really like your multitargeting enhacements.

So, if they are not getting CVS soon, can you post a new beta build over latest CVS, please?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Sorry if I'm a bit dull.

Backslash, can you  post a beta build with your multitarget enhacements, please?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Backlash should hopefully have CVS access by now (if not he will do soon) so once he commits his code we can have a proper CVS build with this in :)

Offline Backslash

Sorry guys, but my living state is in flux... I kinda had to start over on a different machine, compile-wise, but the good news is I now can compile with MSVC 2005 Express while on the go.  Bad news is I can't always test it :nervous:

So uh... here's a build, but I make no guarantees.  http://www.qeyleb.net/files/fs2_open_r_multitarget.exe  ...Still got some minor bugs, so you might want to back up any pilot file you try with it. 

It is nice to see that the feature is so liked :D  I'll do my best to get the code into shape in order to commit to CVS, but it'll be slower going this week...  (among other problems, I'm compiling on a frelling 700MHz :ick:)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hi Backslash, I have just tried your new build:

+ It seems to work fine. It hasn't got the Alt-j issue anymore.
+ I haven't made any test about Hotkey 8.
+ You have shown your next intentions (although it doesn't do anything yet  :hopping:).
+ PLEEEASE, add the optional launcher flag, test it, ask me to test it, retest it and retest it again BUT submit the code to CVS yesterday or even the day before ;)  (Just the "old features" would be great). I do want it "official" ASAP

EDITED--------

+ I have tested Hotkey by editing first FS Port 2.3 mission and making GTC Orff "dissapear" from F3 window (+Hotkey: 7 --> 8 ) and it works now. Great!!  :yes:

I'm going to play for a while and if I notice something I'll post it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 03:19:45 pm by ARSPR »

Offline Backslash

Build updated.  The 'next intentions' does something now ;7, but doesn't autoupdate.  That's going to take a lot more work than I expected, but it'll be worth it I think.  Oh, if you don't have anything targeted, it (should) get the attackers of yourself; should I make a separate control for that?

A couple small but frustrating to track down bugs remain.  For one, please test the function of these commands in a nebula with limited awacs.

I'd commit this already if it didn't modify the pilot files.  I think I should ask permission from the leaders.