Author Topic: More Mission Editor Woes  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Shade

Re: More Mission Editor Woes
Here's a start, at least: The FRED Portal. Set up the portal, arranged the few existing FRED articles into proper and accessible categories and set up a few links to non-existant articles that should definitely be made (such as the sexp reference that got this started). The portal isn't linked to from anywhere yet though. Well, from anywhere but here.

Can start adding stuff to it now :)

Anyway, should probably take any further discussion to the wiki forum.

[Edit] Wanderer was nice enough to add it to the main page without even being asked to, so seems like it's good to go :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 02:43:40 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll have a look and add some things myself :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

Made a post in the wiki forum for discussing it, so we can stop spamming the poor TBP people.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39355.0.html
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Dwin

Okay, I have a mission that takes place inside a nebula ( hyperspace for TBP setting). So, do nebulae affect engines or something? Cause a number of my ships became disabled very quickly.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. It's probably just that it's taking you longer to shoot the enemy disabling those ships most likely :)

Offline Dwin

Navpoints were added for the Wing Commander Saga team and they basically are designed to give you the ability to autopilot yourself and other wings or even capships to points very far away. IIRC you can use them like waypoints for simple distance measuring. Unlike waypoints Navpoints can be made to show up on the HUD.

Autopilot?

Offline Shade

It's a new feature added for the WCS.

Offline Dwin

Yup, I just took a look at it in the controls menu. I really should try to figure things out before I open my mouth.

This autopilot and cycle navpoint doesnt seem to work in TBP though...or am I doing something wrong...?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
To be honest the navpoint system is a complete mystery to me too. I've been meaning to sit down and puzzle it out for ages.

Offline Dwin

Ah, okay.

What does a jumpnode do?

Offline Shade

By default? Nothing. It looks pretty on the hud. It's entirely in the hands of the mission designer to script any interaction with jump nodes through dis/enabling warp at appropriate times and perhaps the depart-node-delay sexp.

Offline Dwin

So it just serves as a hud indicator?

Offline Shade

On the bottom line, that's all they are. But when used as a plot or gameplay element, they can be much more.

Offline Slasher

Basically what you see in FRED2 is what you get regarding the jump nodes.

Offline Dwin

:yes:

Got it. Thanks.

Offline Dwin

How do I get rid of suns?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
dunno...
put them there where nobody is likely to see into them...
or place a normal planet in front of it - should work
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Shade

I actually have no idea. I'd like to know this as much as you.

Offline Slasher

In oldschool FRED2, removing an actual localized light source like this was impossible.  You could remove the actual graphic that represented a sun but the game would still put the light source in the game.  In essence you would look into the blackness of space at some random spot and the glare of a sun would make the screen go white as though a sun were actually there.  I don't know if this has been changed.

If this hasn't changed, you're stuck with a light source one way or another.  As mentioned before, you can make the source of the light invisible in a way by using one of the "ambient_x" suns (replace x with the color of your choice in FRED2), but you'll get the whitewash effect when looking in the direction of that graphic even though an actual star won't be visible in game.

Offline Dwin

Yea, that was the first thing I tried, Slasher. I'm using an ambient red instead of a sun, but the sun is still there.