Author Topic: Silly FSMM question  (Read 2704 times)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Does anybody actually use FreeSpace Mission Manager to manage missions?

I just downloaded it today, and found it has a fairly elaborate campaign-packing scheme. So how come (AFAIK), nobody uses it?

------------------
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
90% of us doesn't use FSMM anymore, we use Kazan's tools for that and maby soon Avengers tool kit for VP's and mission managing.

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]    
ICQ 102628858
Staffer member of Inferno
Inferno

the the mod place!
Join our forums at The ModPlace![/b]
Gost of the past
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Too fancy and didn't seem to work properly or consistently.  Those were my problems with it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by IceFire:
Too fancy and didn't seem to work properly or consistently.  Those were my problems with it.

Indeed that tool didn't work very well i had alot of probs whit it.

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]    
ICQ 102628858
Staffer member of Inferno
Inferno

the the mod place!
Join our forums at The ModPlace![/b]
Gost of the past
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Ok. I always thought it was strange that FSMM was never used for what it was named for.  

I've been thinking about Freespace campaign managers in general lately, and something's been bugging me--

Assuming that it's a Good Thing that when you install a campaign, *only* the campaign files should be present in the FS2 install directory (plus the FS2 core files)... what would be the best way to deal with people who create their own missions based on an installed campaign?

Hmm, I didn't explain that very well. Let's say somebody uses their theoretical ideal campaign manager to install The Babylon Project. Some Guy writes a few TBP missions of his own. Later, he tells his campaign manager to install Warzone. As it goes to clean out all traces of TBP before it installs Warzone, what should the campaign manager do with the user-created TBP missions?

Yeah, the campaign manager could just leave the missions directory alone and let stuff pile up, but that's... ugly. Goes against the whole idea behind a campaign manager, which is to keep FS2's directories neat and consistent so the campaigns always run right.

------------------

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
err... put them in a folder marked "stuff" or mabey "user missions"
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I've just woken up and so my logic might not be perfect, but to me it sounds relatively simple - get the Warzone installer (in this example) to rename the FS2 data dir to something like TBPData. Make a copy of the players directory and place that into the new data dir, and you'd be set. If you had multiple folders like this - InfernoData, TMData, OTTData, RCPCTData, TSData etc. etc., you'd rename the one you want to 'data' and find the players directory that had been updated last. And bang, multiple installations.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
LAW ENFORCER: Ah, but what if the campaign isn't distributed in VP form? Then your installer has to distinguish between campaign mission files and user-created mission files. Possible, but... ugh. Oh well.

Setekh: No, the idea is to do away with installers entirely, distribute campaigns as ZIP files, and let a single campaign manager do all the dirty work. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to blindly copy the players directory, since pilot files usually aren't compatible between mods.

Volition's ill-conceived mishmashing of campaigns and pilots is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Wahay!!! Setekh is back! I'm glad you're ok dude  
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'd make (am palnning on making) all campaign files in a VP pack you can copy in  / delete, and distributing add on missions in further VPs or something.  Actually, if anyone make additional missions with the Reciprocity VPs when they are released, I'll probably add DL links for them to the site, and package them accordingly.

Is there a good or even decent campaign manager out there for the downloading that allows you to have multiple campaigns?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by venom2506:
Wahay!!! Setekh is back! I'm glad you're ok dude  

Ahhhh... so here's the post  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Setekh:
Ahhhh... so here's the post  

yup  

SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
How many people use the FSMM functionality? I'm still trying to decide whether it is worth dropping in one of the "FSO Pack" things into my campaign...