Author Topic: Attachment rules  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Rules to posting attachments that will take effect on 2006-07-01.

Starting July 1st, posting of attachments is allowed on all boards by all registered members, same rules apply to contents of any attachment as laid out in the Guidelines For Forum Conduct. This means that attachments that violate the Conduct will be deleted.

Attachment size limit is set to 512KB per-attachment and per-post, you can post up to 4 attachments per post. Following file types are allowed: 7z, gz, rar, zip, gif, jpg, jpeg, png. Maximum size of the attachments folder is set to 32MB. When the folder is full, we will remove all attachments older than 30 days. Please keep in mind that the attachments you post will be available only temporarily, there will be no exceptions. The less people post attachments and the smaller the attachments are, the longer the posted attachments will be available.

There are many free image hosts such as ImageShack, Photobucket and Putfile. For other than images, you can look for free webhosts, some of them are decent enough for hosting small files.

We realize that there may be attachments that are worth keeping, which is why this rule will take effect on 2006-07-01 and not immediately. Please report all topics/posts that have attachments that should be preserved. In case of image attachments, admins will assist by posting such attachments to free image hosts and updating the post with a link to the image.

Thank you.
- HLP admins
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:12:41 am by Fury »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I looked through all the main forums and these two look like they have attachments worth preserving:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25406.0.html
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22680.0.html

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
CP5670, from these two topics I found only two attachments in Tribute - MS Paint The FS Moments -topic, which I have now uploaded to ImageShack and updated the posts. If I missed any attachments, feel free to posts links to the posts themselves.

Offline neoterran

Is it possible to allow the .7z 7-Zip format ? Since that allows the best compression ratio in a fairly common format, it would be nice if possible.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It is possible but .7z is so uncommon that using the format is often pointless.

Offline neoterran

I would like to point out that winrar can open .7z files, so if they're used, anyone with winrar can open them.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Point taken, 7z added.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This seems blatantly obvious, but...

...shouldn't .fs2 files be allowed as attachments?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You can choose from four different compression algorithms to compress those fs2 files into...

Offline Shade

Indeed, especially as they're essentially text files and compression works wonders on them - It's often possible to compress missions by 80-90% using basic zip compression.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They're not particularly large anyways, though, so compression is rather a false economy...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
It is when there is a limit on the size and total amount of attachments. ;)