Poll

Would you like to see Wing Commander discussion boards?

No, I want HLP to stay dedicated to FreeSpace only.
11 (22.4%)
No, not Wing Commander. Maybe another game would be ok.
2 (4.1%)
Yes, I'd like to see Wing Commander boards.
36 (73.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Wing Commander coverage?  (Read 19291 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Wing Commander coverage?
It's tempting, but may just be a backlash for the way CIC treated the WCS. I'd say see how things go in the WCS main forum for a while first, if enough interest is shown there, then look at the possibilities.

In my honest opinion, WCS have been done a favour with regards to getting the mod completed anyway.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have no objection to this, exept I wouldn't want it to be like the IW2 suport we had once upon a time, this is FS site and board, all the people here are FS people, I am saying that I wouldn't like there to be a strong WC element in this comunity, I am simply concerned that there won't be and the bord will end up abandoned three months in, but there is no harm in giveing it a shot. :)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
So long as everyone plays nice (and I mean, REAL nice) I don't see the problem.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
after looking into the politics of it, I fully suport it, they need a nutral ground.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

:)

--------

I have no objections to a WC fourm, but I also think that the main page's focus should remain on Freespace.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:26:24 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This latest development may or may not affect the results of this thread.  Either way, it's worth reading:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,41049.msg838619.html#msg838619

Please keep CIC/WCSAGA and CIC/HLP related discussion in the topic linked above, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:34:31 am by Fury »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have no objections to a WC fourm, but I also think that the main page's focus should remain on Freespace.
If we will host WC boards or boards for any other games, it won't be HLP's policy to discriminate these games, their boards and their community. Each covered franchise will have equal grounds here at HLP. The amount of coverage they will get in the forums, mainpage, etc. directly depends on their popularity.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:31:55 am by Fury »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It would be nice, I think, to have a general section devoted to 'space sims'; speficially, encouraging & supporting people to use and develop freeware games with the SCP engine.  I think if we want (maybe we don't) a 'big expansion', the best way would be to go in that sort of direction :)

However, I have no objections with WC boards.  My only reservation mirrors Flips - that we might be seen as trying to start some sort of inter-community 'war' (we all know how petty people can get on the internet, it'd scarcely be the first time that's happened), when really as fans of the same genre we should look to work together rather than risk antagonism.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
that we might be seen as trying to start some sort of inter-community 'war' (we all know how petty people can get on the internet, it'd scarcely be the first time that's happened)
I hope that won't be the case, because this is not an attempt to start a war of any kind. This is just an attempt to offer WC discussion boards for the already active members here as many of us are WC fans as much as FS fans and a place for those from other communities who might be looking for an alternative community. Normally I wouldn't suggest new discussion boards, but WC is a well known franchise and of exact same genre as FS. So in a way we are already one big community that has been unnecessarily drawn away from each other.

Personally I would like to see HLP growing into other games as well. Not just to titles/franchices that are already out there, but upcoming games which may not yet have established communities. FreeSpace alone has taken us far, but a single title or franchise always has its limits. I do not speak for other admins, but I have long felt that HLP needs more than just FreeSpace to continue living as an active community. While the source code of FS2 has been able to keep us active past years and will most likely continue to do so in the near future, I still believe that HLP has the potential to grow beyond the boundaries of FS. But that is a discussion for another time. :)

Aldo, in a way the total conversions such as TBP, TAP and WCS are already freeware games based on the fs2_open engine. While I am not familiar with Shadows of Lylat, I think it is not based on any franchise. So I think we have that already covered. :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I hope that won't be the case, because this is not an attempt to start a war of any kind. This is just an attempt to offer WC discussion boards for the already active members here as many of us are WC fans as much as FS fans and a place for those from other communities who might be looking for an alternative community. Normally I wouldn't suggest new discussion boards, but WC is a well known franchise and of exact same genre as FS. So in a way we are already one big community that has been unnecessarily drawn away from each other.

I hope so, too.  :)  I think we just have to be aware of the possible accusation, that's all.  Certainly I don't think it's a reason to hold back from it, if anything it's an opportunity to boost both communities through sharing traffic.

Personally I would like to see HLP growing into other games as well. Not just to titles/franchices that are already out there, but upcoming games which may not yet have established communities. FreeSpace alone has taken us far, but a single title or franchise always has its limits. I do not speak for other admins, but I have long felt that HLP needs more than just FreeSpace to continue living as an active community. While the source code of FS2 has been able to keep us active past years and will most likely continue to do so in the near future, I still believe that HLP has the potential to grow beyond the boundaries of FS. But that is a discussion for another time. :)

No arguements here :D

Aldo, in a way the total conversions such as TBP, TAP and WCS are already freeware games based on the fs2_open engine. While I am not familiar with Shadows of Lylat, I think it is not based on any franchise. So I think we have that already covered. :)

Shadows of Lylat is Starwing / Starfox :D

Absolutely, I understand, i'm just thinking of any method of making it really explicit that the SCP can be used for standalone games, so we can attract non-Freespace fans.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Absolutely, I understand, i'm just thinking of any method of making it really explicit that the SCP can be used for standalone games, so we can attract non-Freespace fans.
I think this would have more to do with the SCP team, I think this would deserve a new section on their homepage or something. :)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I can see it now....

HLP - Your Space Sim Resource

Don't get too big on us now folks.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
A Wing Commander board would be nice, If Tolwyns current Team enjoy a chat about the Talahasse class or Repleetah Vets then thats all cool, I'm sure a few core FS2'ers  would like to see the other side of the fence. Although in hindsight, Would a subforum, in the wing commander mod on ebe appropriate? I ask simply because i can envisage a swathe of members asking for other forums IE-

*I wanna EVE forum*
*I like Starlancer*
*How about Elite*
Ad Infinitum, And i dont know if that would be feasible......
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 07:01:42 am by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
How about a general non-FS2 forum for every other flight sim. That way we can split forums off if a game is popular and reintegrate them if they become dead. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes, I had that in mind too but for all games and gaming. So far only 40 votes, so unless there is a big boost in favor of WC boards, the general gaming board will have to suffice for WC as well.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I'm a bit late here, but at least yesterday I would have voted "no" to prevent any more hostilty between both communities on HLP's behalf. Now that I have slept over it (and the situation changed a little) I think now I can give my own feelings a little more room, and therefore I voted "yes". It would be great to have another english speaking wc-board.

However, I think to insert WC into the mainpage as well will not work out, you will have to administrate that and collect stuff and you people will always be between two worlds (WC and FS), so either one or both will suffer sooner or later.

As for having a WC-board or a general discussion board (which would certainly be no bad idea), I want to make a suggestion :

Wait until we have made the first release. I hope 3.6.9 will develop well and isn't too far away, since we are now more or less bound to this date. I have a few plans regarding some more PR, which will hopefully bring more interested people (into boths game-universe and communities). And if then the interest in either HLP or WCS will raise, we could think about a WC only board. What do you think ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
We can discuss your plan in more detail over ICQ. :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I try to catch you this evening or latest over the weekend. (I see you from finland, so you should have more or less the same timezone I have). :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Can we get the IW2 boards back?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
IW2 boards seems completely deleted for whatever reason, I wasn't an admin at the time so I don't know what happened to it but it is not restoreable.