Poll

What's your opinion on the design adjustment?

Like the bar, like the new BG color
21 (61.8%)
Like the bar, dislike the new BG color
9 (26.5%)
Dislike the bar, like the new BG color
1 (2.9%)
Dislike both the bar and the new BG color
2 (5.9%)
Eh? I probably need to refresh...
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Slight Design Adjustment  (Read 17297 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Slight Design Adjustment
What the hell is a CRT?
Cathode Ray Tube screen.

now i'm totally clueless. :p
CRT
TFT LCD

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I would prefer a bit darker background. Then again, I prefer everything to be dark. But there is a contrast between the background and the dark message boxes and I don't like it.

I like the logo itself. But there is something amiss in the bar. The right side looks so empty...

I can live with this (barely). But I will be keeping an eye on Fury incase this is his secret plan to "brighten up" HLP. There will be fire from the sky long before the My Little Ponies show up. I promise. :snipe:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I love the alterations you applied :) *tumb up*
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
But I will be keeping an eye on Fury incase this is his secret plan to "brighten up" HLP.
:rolleyes:

Top Bar
Missing links to other FS communities such as GTD Bastion and Hades Combine. "Mantis" should be "HLP Mantis" to differentiate if from the SCP Mantis. "Source Code Project" should be "The Source Code Project" and "Freespace" should be "FreeSpace".

New HLP Logo
Don't like it, it takes too much space on top and it's distracting when it changes colours.

Background color
I actually like this change, it adds some nice contrast. A shame if most CRT users can't tell the difference.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Quiet you. The whole damned thing is awesome. :D Nice work Sandwich.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I like the nav bar, the logo could go away entirely, though. (Presumeably it only takes 1-2 visits for someone to realize that this is 'Hard Light Productions', after that it's just extra distance to scroll.
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Top Bar
Missing links to other FS communities such as GTD Bastion and Hades Combine. "Mantis" should be "HLP Mantis" to differentiate if from the SCP Mantis. "Source Code Project" should be "The Source Code Project" and "Freespace" should be "FreeSpace".

Ok, as you can see with Raa up there, the problem is that unless I go to using acronyms, I can't add anything more up there lest the 1024 users cry out in admonition.

I'll try to figure out something... I've got an idea.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Looks nice, I like :yes:
Habeeb it...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Top Bar

Ok, as you can see with Raa up there, the problem is that unless I go to using acronyms, I can't add anything more up there lest the 1024 users cry out in admonition.

:wtf: Didn't cry out. Just stated that it wasnt coded in a way that it would dynamically sort itself when the screen is smaller.
Isnt the standard for web page encoding supposed to be that people as far down as 800x600 should be able to see the screen correctly? 's not my fault I dont have a 21" HD LCD screen that can tilt to all different angles and resolutions :p This tablet only supports 1024x768 and 800x600. :sigh:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Top Bar

:wtf: Didn't cry out. Just stated that it wasnt coded in a way that it would dynamically sort itself when the screen is smaller.
Isnt the standard for web page encoding supposed to be that people as far down as 800x600 should be able to see the screen correctly? 's not my fault I dont have a 21" HD LCD screen that can tilt to all different angles and resolutions :p This tablet only supports 1024x768 and 800x600. :sigh:
Webpages should really be completely scalable to as small as possible. Even with people on 800x600 you cannot assume that they will be viewing sites in full screen.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
In an ideal world, gentlemen. I'm working on some things. Update in an hour or so.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K, I like both, but that logo is ugly. :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Top Bar

There's an HLP Mantis? :wtf: When I saw the Mantis link I thought it's obviously the SCP one everyone here knows about.

Take the silly mouseover thing off the logo and it'd make a bit of an improvment. Put 'productions' on the top line as well and reduce the vertical size of the HLP logo proportionally, and it'd be fine. :)

Offline neoterran

I agree, if you want to keep a mouseover, that's fine, but the default mouseover state doesn't make the forum look good.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Got a new thing for the top bar going, check it out.

Now, logo. I understand smaller, but which do you prefer, the faded or the mouseover state?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, the top is looking garbled to me :(

As for the HLP thing, I'm not sure, the whole mouse-over thing just smacks a little of 'Look what I can do!' ;)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, the top is looking garbled to me :(
What OS, browser and does your browser allow pages to choose their own fonts? Do you have a font called FreeSans installed?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
"Garbled" does not help. Screenshot helps. ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
He probably got what I got where the top got all screwed up on loading. A refresh sorted it out.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]