Author Topic: FPS problams  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
i read that people are getting over 100 fps during the game
but thats not me :mad:
i have a very capable system that can handle the load but the fps caps at 30 fps exactly :hopping:
is this a bug or did i miss somthing?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
... or did i miss somthing?
Yup, remotely useful info, such as...

- What build are you using?
 - Are you using OpenGL or D3D?
 - What, exactly, are your system specs?
 - Did you disable v-sync in the launcher?

I can honestly say that I have no idea what my FPS is. :p

Fraps tells me it's 60, but Fraps doesn't go any higher, so it might be much higher than that.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Fraps tells me it's 60, but Fraps doesn't go any higher, so it might be much higher than that.
It will top out at 120, but if you have v-sync turned on it will max at your refresh rate.  Usually that is 60 for OpenGL in Windows (a "Microsoft issue").  Just use the -fps cmdline option to get the FPS counter to show up in-game (in top-left corner of HUD).

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
sorry for so little info
i figured it out it was the v sync :lol:
now i get ~80 fps with the animated glowmaps
thanks for that

btw sorry if i sounded mad at the first post, it was late

Offline Kon

• KonQuesting on Twitch
I have the same problem.  It tops out at 60 (probably due to V-Sync) but then whenever something explodes, or there's lots of beams and flak going around, it drops down to unplayable levels (worst I've had is freezing for up to 20 seconds.) This really doesn't make any sense for me since some people with worse comps claim to have much higher FPS.

I have:
3.6.9 RC5
DaBrain's sensible beams
Mid-range shockwaves

My hardware is:
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Catalyst drivers 6.3)
Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz
512MB RDRAM
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:42:11 pm by SSX-Kahn »

People with inferior machines might not be using the same graphical features as you, however. If you get freezes during intense moments it could be that you don't have enough RAM or VRAM for the stuff you've got installed.

That was my problem. I had 512 MB's of SDRAM, which meant that my comp was having some problems. Picked up some more RAM, now have 1.5GB's of it, and things run much more smoothly.

I don't think a more "powerful" computer always has more RAM, necessarily. 214 says my computer is one of the most powerful he's seen, yet his had double my RAM capacity, until I upgraded.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline neoterran

CPU speed is way less important now than it was in the past. Now, as long has you have a 3 Ghz PIV Class machine or better, the most important things for games become : main ram size, gfx card speed and gfx card vram size.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The memory sizes only matter up to a certain point though. I don't notice any difference at all between my machines (one has 1GB memory and 256MB video memory while the other has 2GB and 512MB). Actually, both of them slow down a lot with adveffects when a shockwave first comes up, so I have removed that high res shockwave effect for now.

Offline neoterran

I don't use the 3D shockwaves at all, except the fighter shocks. I use the 2D shockwaves...since then, no performance problems at all.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"