Author Topic: Black Screen of Death after movie install  (Read 1910 times)

Black Screen of Death after movie install
sorry to double post and be a pain in the ass - I was hoping as a new topic this might have a better chance of being answered

I get the black screen of death. After Ctrl Alt Delete there is a tab on the bottom that says PlayWnd Sample. I have this error
message       :wtf: FAILED(hr=0x80004002) in pvw->SetWindowPosition(extra_w,extra_h,video_rescale_w,video rescale_h(DShow error)

Thee only other thing I noticed is if I try it in OpenGL rather than D3D8, I get a wider field of view on the title screen before the screen goes black, like in D3D8 I don't get the whole picture; I see the spaceship, but not the stuff below it.

I tried to play the movies in Media Player, but I only get sound. Also tried to remove existing empty mve files before installing new avi files, but no luck. Playing FS2 Open from HOTU. Installed about 3 weeks ago, files are recent.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Black Screen of Death after movie install
Hmm... so you can see a spaceship, but not anything else... Is this the intro movie?

Once again, check Kara's FAQ for help. Does the game itself work? FSO on HotU was never a good idea, but it's the easiest way to get FS2 nowadays.

The Media Player has that habit of not showing the picture sometimes. Try another program. It might be the movie itself and not FSO...

Spaceship and "Open SCP" (I think that's what it says) is just the title screen that comes up as game loads - it was there before I tried the movies

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
It may be a codec problem, download the Xvid codecs, that may help ya! :nod:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I suspect that you're correct Wobble. If that doesn't solve it try running the debug build.

FSO on HotU was never a good idea, but it's the easiest way to get FS2 nowadays.

FSO on the original HotU build was never a good idea. The new version was specifically designed as the gateway point for an FSO install though. It works perfectly with FSO. I tested it for that fairly heavily before uploading it.

The idea was that between HotU and the guide I'd just added to my FAQ anyone should be able to put together an FS2_Open install with the minimum of fuss. However about a couple of weeks after I did that ShivanSPS put together his pack and made the HotU largely obsolete as the best way for a newbie to get into FS2_Open.

Not that I mind. Shivan's later packs are virtually no different from the way I'd put one together myself had I been able to find a suitable distribution method.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I suspect that you're correct Wobble. If that doesn't solve it try running the debug build.

Ohh, it's so good to be a newb helping out other newbs! :)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

I'll try it tonight. Thanks. I found a download link. Do I need to install it anywhere special? ( I have no clue what a codec even is)

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Be careful. If you've downloaded an archive file with no installation executable inside, you've downloaded the source code (which is NOT what you want).

Download XviD 1.1.0 from this page: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

After that, just double click & install (most likely just keep pressing Next) and you're done.

That did it! Thanks everyone!