Author Topic: Normal mapping and the UV map (kinda important)  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: Normal mapping and the UV map (kinda important)
looks like ****ty compression or something
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Checking....
It looks like the panel line isn't as deep but still jaggity.

It's PSD so there shouldn't be any lossless compression.  Also should the cube sides have seperate uv map sections instead of sharing?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline bkd86

Scooby, what program are you using?
I ran this through one I have and got this in like 10 sec with no touch up.
You won't get good detail on your test without some specular and better lighting. Displacement maps do better shadowing than normal maps since its actual geometry. Normal ma[s only will shadow in the grooves not the bumps casting shadows. If your using the Nvidia pluggin I can't help you much, but the ATI program works pretty well, but you need to use a black and white image. Post a image of the texture you want to make into a normal map and I'll whip you one up real quick.

Ok heres the base texture:

heres the height map:

heres nvidias tool normal map (height generation: 3x3, height source: average rgb, alpha field: unchanged, minz:0 scale: 2):

and heres Max 7's Mental Ray result with shine and lighting:

Not very pretty....

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I looked to give it a try, but my video card on this laptop doesnt support pixel shaders :(
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Neither does mine, and I don't have a laptop  :sigh:

Weeee  my 1,000 post LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:53:51 am by Scooby_Doo »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
@Scooby_Doo

One problem seems to be, that the cube doesn't have enough polygons. At least it looks that way.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

It's a basic 12tria cube... Isn't that the purpose of normal mapping?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It almost looks as if the UV map is rotated by a minute amount, since the bump always drifts in one direction.

What's really strange is that if you look at the far side of the cube, you can see the polygons along the inside 'wall' of the bumps on those polygons, as though the bumps had been modelled rather than textured, since if the bumps were being rendered to the texture, you would not see that.

Hmmm good point, unless mental ray can figure out based on the normals.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try bluring the bump map just a tiny amount before converting it to a normal map.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I blurred it... and watched it as it rendered from the old to the new blurred. didn't notice a thing...

However when i zoomed out a bit. this happened

And with bumpmap :-)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, that's the problem, the displacement map was displacing the polygons off of the edge of the cube, hence the 'flying edges' effect. That also explains why it was converting bumps into polygons.

How do I fix that?  Could that be the reason I'm having jagged lines?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You don't need to, 3Ds max uses Bumpmaps, normal maps are a sort of 'cheap' version that are faster, but don't self-shadow. I forgot that 'displacement' maps in 3DS max divide the object up into thousands of polygons and offsets their position according to brightness, which is slightly different to a bumpmap. That was why your first model looked so odd, it was converting the normal map to greyscale and then displacing the polygons according to the result.

I don't know if 3DSMax has a way of rendering bumps from normal maps, alas, since I don't use it, but I'm sure someone will tell you if there is :)

Basically, if the Bump-map works, then so should the normal map.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i know max 8, in d3d mode, you can select dx9 shaders for your material. just click where it says standard and pick shader from the list, then load the shader for normal mapping.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Ohhh I think i remember seeing something about DirectX Shaders in Max 7... I'll report back in a few :-)

Nope no go.... Standard renderer does nothing and mental ray gives a warning about being not supported by this translator and renders to black.  Besides this is above my head.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:53:08 pm by Scooby_Doo »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just use the ts7 player myself, it works pretty well i just need a way to turn off the ****ing grid  :mad:
it screws up the lighting.

or if youre really desprate get a copy of doom 3 or quake 4 and replace some commonly used texture and normal map for one of your design. i find that works just as well. just remember pk4s are zips with a different extension :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:21:50 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Scooby are you using max 6 or 7? Could you send me the max files with the textures...I would like to take a look at it...when I got the time to do it.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Uploaded to the ftp, base.rar