Author Topic: Really trivial (I hope) request  (Read 6451 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Really trivial (I hope) request
So the cockpit view hasnt been created yet, right? Or is there a mod and im missing where to down load it at lol. :wtf:

You can add cockpit models into the pof (game model), and make them visible using the 'show ship' flag (otherwise the game ignores drawing the bits of your own ship; hence why you can't look left and see your own wings, etc), but the textures - buttons, displays, etc - on the cockpit don't 'integrate' with the FS2 hud.  Like, on those screenshots the cockpit is static and all the hud details are the ones already drawn 'on top' by FS2.

I am far from being savy when it comes to doing stuff like this so I have a few more questions. Under data/tables when I open it up I dont see anything, so Im assuming that I actually have to write the code myself into the file? i.e.

#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Yo Momma
+nocreate
$Flags: ("show ship")
;;Rinse and repeat for each ship

#End/code]

Should i create a folder for each ship? Sorry for all the questions but got to start somewhere lol. Thanks for the info and the help.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
#End/code] is wrong :p

#End is correct.

You put that into a (modname)-ship.tbm file, with one entry for each ship that you want to view from the cockpit of, and then save it. A la:

#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Yo Momma
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Yo Pappa
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Yo Brudda
+nocreate

#End
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Ok this really making me feel like a mental deficient. I take it a .tbm file is not a text file. How do I make a .tbm file? :sigh:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
A tbm file is a text file, just remember, when saving in Notepad, to change the file-type to 'All Files' (Second drop-box in the saving dialogue) rather than '.txt files', else the thing saves it as 'xxxx.tbm.txt' and Freespace won't read it ;)

Gotcha, thanks. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks lol. It just takes longer  ;7

Can you guys look at this for me, perhaps i didnt get something right because when i get into game there still isnt a cockpit view. Unless I need to activate it some how like the mediavps. I went back and saved it as "All files". When i went back and logged into game I still didnt see the cockpit view so i went back and when i went to save as again just to make sure it showed it as a text file again. I suppose thats normal but i dont want to assume anything lol. well here is the notepad content and its loc.

#ship classes

$Name: GTF Perseus
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Hercules Mark II
+nocreate

#End

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\tables

if you see anything wrong please let me know. thanks once again lol
 :shaking:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You need to make sure that the filename ends with "-shp.tbm" (minus quotation marks). I don't see what you saved the file as, it doesn't seem to be in your post, and I hope you didn't save the file as "tables" (That should be the name of the folder it's in, not the filename).

EDIT: Do you have the mediaVPs and FS2_Open installed?
-C

this is the file name i used when i created it inside my tables folder "cockpit-ship.tbm"

shp not ship got it lol thanks.  :ick:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hehehe, look on the bright side, it's a mistake you'll never make twice after all that effort ;)

Ok one thing wasn't mentioned and this kinda buggered me up lol. You have to convert the text file to a .tbm file and save it as such. So if your like me and have no clue about doing stuff like this its the little things that matter lol. Hope this helps someone. :D

I got everything to work but what I was looking for was the cockpit view at the begining of the thread does anyone know if that one is available? Either way thanks for all your help everyone. If anything I learned more :D.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I got everything to work but what I was looking for was the cockpit view at the begining of the thread does anyone know if that one is available? Either way thanks for all your help everyone. If anything I learned more :D.

It's not available at present.