Author Topic: It's a Basewars thing.  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
It's a Basewars thing.
Presenting Basewars, a project for Descent 3...

Check out the Basewars Trailer 27mb

Hyperspace: Standoff was built around an idea of a simple CTF level in space. It then took the form of Assault, as did the hit followup Hyperspace Divided. Once the final level Apotheosis came along, I decided to fine tune things a little more - Which resulted in a more balanced level for both Assault and CTF. After Apotheosis, I never thought I'd do another level - Hyperspace was intended to be a three-level set only, and no more. But then in late 2004 after just finishing Apotheosis - I had this idea to create something beyond any of the previous levels. It took many months of convincing myself that it was possible, and many months more after that before I started working on it. If you've never played the Hyperspace series, then you're going to love this level all the more.

Basewars is something of a spinoff, while it uses many of the ideas, content and weapons from the first three levels - it presents it in a whole new way. I had a lot of fun thinking up the ideas for this level, and transporting ideas from other games into it. Basewars is inspired by other games - Namely EVE, Freespace and Freelancer. Even down to the rough designs of some ships. But despite having some visual similarity, it's an entirely different game. Even the Atmosphere is unlike anything seen before in Descent 3. If it's a good or bad thing, I'm no sure yet. I made this purely for the fans of Hyperspace, and because Descent 3 could use something like this every so often. I'd like to say, that it's been a fun ride, but after Basewars, I'll be leaving the Descent modding scene. I do have one more project in the pipeline, which is essentially a single player version of Basewars - Assuming all goes well, it could be released in the New Year. Check the website often for updates, and do come join us! Sectorgame is not just a gaming website, it's a community - albeit small - of friends from all walks of life.

You can download the level on this page right here. Be sure to read up on the website to learn how to play!

FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: It's a Basewars thing.
Aaaand into the correct forum you go. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
"The Bleak Land"

:nervous: *cough cough*
I hate My signature!

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
That's not actually in there, it's just on the map thing for fun :P  Also, it actually IS a bleak land...
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.