Author Topic: Bad campaign ideas  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Most all the battles end up being BoE in nature which I'm not a fan.
Really? How many BoE battles with the Shadows did you see in the series? I saw one. And one that was borderline case (the Narn attack in the the Shadow ambush). But rest of the Shadow encouters shown were small scale. There's lots of story to be told in the Shadow war. One just needs that creative spark.

Not that I'm forcing anyone to do a campaing about it. Everyone is free to tell their stories as they wish.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline rynadrk

The only battles I saw were large scale or a fighter pilot was not about to make the difference in the battle.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
A fighter pilot may not be able to do anything when a battlecrap rapes raider battlewagons, but it still is pretty small engagement. Certainly nothing I'd call Battle of Endor.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
To be fair Long Twilight Struggle, Shadow Dancing, and Into the Fire are all in BoE territory. Especially when it comes to how much influence a single fighter could have on the proceedings. Missions like that are okay but you can't have too many of them in a campaign. For a Shadow War campaign to work you'd have to have a story that elaborates on and weaves in and out of the stories in the series. Maybe a Narn or EA pilot who joins the rangers and gets to participate in some small scale skirmishes with the Shadows that way.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
If the player can't do anything meaningful in a mission, then it's badly designed mission. If the player can't do anything because bazillion ships in the mission are killing his compootar, it's a BoE mission... If a battle is big, it doesn't necessary classify as BoE if the player has something interesting to do (tatical goal or sumthin'), and that the mission doesn't choke up on itself. There's a difference. At least IMHO.

Shadow war missions. How about protecting civillian evacuation during a major assault. By intercepting any stray spitfires, while main Shadow forces are doing something else.
Or testing an experimental bio warhead on Shadow ships. And then trying to evade the slicer on the pissed off battlecrab when the test fails (requires lots of scripting methinks).
Trying to figure how to kill a crippled Shadow ship in an 'roid field.
Fighting against people who have sided with the Shadows (like Centauri did).

I'm not telling you more. But with a bit of pen and paper time, I could propably come up with a sane campaign...

Offline Roanoke

Not a campaign but during Raider Wars my plan for a bonus version of No Retreat No Surrender went down the toilet when I saw how the Whitestars acted with bomber AI..... :no:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I did think up a plotline for a mission once where as a B5 starfury pilot you got orders to shoot down a ship bring supplies for the second B5 giftshop. :D

Of course the destruction of the cargo ship would send  small fleet of JS bears hurtling towards the station which you would then have to shoot down :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I did think up a plotline for a mission once where as a B5 starfury pilot you got orders to shoot down a ship bring supplies for the second B5 giftshop. :D

Of course the destruction of the cargo ship would send  small fleet of JS bears hurtling towards the station which you would then have to shoot down :D

I hate you for not making that mission.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:D I'm tempted to give it a go after the BtRL release :) But I figured I'd write the idea down so that anyone who wants to give it a go can do it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I once had visions of the player controlling a shadow ship, following the instructions laid out  by the eye and helping to spread chaos to the non-aligned worlds like Brakiri and Vree. Like shooting Brakiri transports and putting the blame on the Vree ect.

Well i discarded it because this would need a ship of more intellect,(means a pilot) such as a Battlecrab, and not a scout, which is the only shadow unit you can play because i don't know if such small ships as scouts have their own thoughts or are just marionettes (that would not fit with a player changing course ect. the way he wants)
From delusion lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to eternal life.

A raider campaign, flying from the side of the raiders, any mission involving an assault on the EA or any other "proper" team = suicide/

haha that is funny enough to bump this thread after a year... because VIDMASTER has just released a very professionally done and entertaining Raider campaign you really should check out... not your usual Raiders that bunch!

But the Zephyrs are a major pain in the a...

I love situations where your main guns are so far apart and poorly placed on a fighter that you shoot past your Starfury or Sentri, one bolt misses left, the other on the right... you actually have to aim past the fighter to hit it with one barrel  :ick:

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
haha that is funny enough to bump this thread after a year... because VIDMASTER has just released a very professionally done and entertaining Raider campaign you really should check out... not your usual Raiders that bunch!
*never read this thread before and suddenly, it's on the first page. Staring to to read. Looking at Dekker's statement. Strong wish to write something here about that, BUT...* ...you were first.  :D :D :D :D

I love situations where your main guns are so far apart and poorly placed on a fighter
yeah, the Zephyr is a nightmare and its gun ports are horrible. I even let the main character state exactly that :D :D :D

Shadow war missions
oh, there will be some soon and they won't be BoE all :blah:

If the player can't do anything meaningful in a mission, then it's badly designed mission.
Well actually, I absolutly disagree with that statement.
Check out mission 2 of the FS2 tango mini campaign, mission 6 (and in a way 7) in Fortune Hunters or mission 1 of Sol: A History. I love those moments, really!  :nod:  :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.