Author Topic: HI-POLY Pyro GX  (Read 10943 times)

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
This is the NEW version of the high-poly Pyro GX. For anyone interested, it has a proper table, proper texturing, and a shield ani! Also VpIfied.

http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/pyro_gx.vp

THIS IS THE PYRO YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

SCREENIES

http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/GXCOCKPIT.TGA
http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/GXINGAME.tga
http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/GXLOADOUT.TGA
http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/GXTECHROOM.tga
Hehe...not the pyro, wonder what it is?
http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/BONUS.tga

It can slide too!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:58:00 pm by Tempest »
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
Screenshot, for us newbies who aren't familiar with the Pyro design? :) Please?
MechaSentient
Sometimes, people change.
Sometimes, they upgrade.
(Online webcomic - updates M/W/F)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just to be helpful. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
btw, did you ever get a working set of the descent 3 models? i think theyre floating around the net somewhere.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

ultimate n00b question that I can't find on Kara's FAQ:

I made the vp file, now how do I use it???

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Tempest

Ohh...hmm...I've got a good 30 Descent 3 models. Only about 6 are working though. I also made the CED Expediator, but it has yet to be mapped. MMM...black shark...I spent about an hour today fine tuning it alone, and it is B-E-A-utiful!

Put the .vp in your root directory...or in a mod folder. You don't need to make a .vp though, just extract the files into a mod folder. I'll make a .vp when the mod is done. It will be fat though since I'm replacing virtually EVERY sound, model, bitmap, etc. I think it even qualifies for a total conversion.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

thanks, doing so now, I'll see if it'll work...

edit: I still can't seem to get it to work with FRED.... what me doing wrong?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:23:20 pm by spartan_0214 »

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It uses 17 map files.

It will not work.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Tempest

What do you mean it "won't work"? I've played with it...it works fine. I run a debug build EVERY time and it never gives me any trouble.

Hmm, spartan, are you placing your modified ships.tbl in your root tables directory? Otherwise FRED won't see it...took me a while to learn that one! FRED doesn't see modfolders. If that isn't your problem, is it showing up at all? How about in the tech database ingame?

I'm having an issue with turrets, however. Every time I attach turrets to my model i get null_vec3d warnings. The ship *works* ingame fine as far as I can tell, but it gives me those warnings that sound bad every time the model is loaded into memory. Any help on this?
-Axem

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Is the ship all one object? There is no way that that should work fine. The HTL engine works best with one texture per object. 17 is horribly too many, and by all accounts shouldnt work....
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Hmm, spartan, are you placing your modified ships.tbl in your root tables directory? Otherwise FRED won't see it...took me a while to learn that one! FRED doesn't see modfolders. If that isn't your problem, is it showing up at all? How about in the tech database ingame?

FRED does too see modfolders. You just need to point it in the right direction.

Step 1: Make modfolder (example: "Aura")
Step 2: Create a shortcut to FRED2Open.
Step 3: Right-click on shortcut, select "Properties", and in the target box, place "-mod Aura" at the end. FRED will then look in the folder called "Aura" to find its information.
Step 4: If you're using FRED for multiple mods, maybe wise to make mulitple shortcuts and rename them, depending on what mod they load. Example: FRED2 Derelict, FRED2 Inferno, FRED2ITDOH, etc etc.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Tempest

Tarstin, the Pyro only uses 4. The others were from the origional model that was converted from .oof to .pof. A VERY tedius operation. I would like someone to unwrap it and give it a proper texturing but I'll have to make do with what I have.
-Axem

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think the code was modified a few months back to allow it to grudgingly permit the loading of models with far too many textures.

tempest, you _really_ need to read this, it's basically the design doc for making models for FSO.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if youre converting a model with alot of textures, its a good idea to learn how to bake textures. your use of space wont be as effietient as if you uv map it yourself, but its still better to have one 1024^2 than 20 64^2 textures. anyone know how to set up a bake in max without so much wasted uv space? i can get it to work, just not satisfied with the results.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:38:38 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kieve

• Creative Hack
    • MechaSentient
Thanks for the screenie. ^.^ Looks cool, if rather small.

On the subject of textures and mapping, can anyone tell me what Max material type / map selections I should be using for a standard fighter? I know there's the diffuse map, the glo-map, and the shine-map (for the body) and after examining the HTL ships it seems there's a separate section for glass / glass-shine and cockpit / cockpit-glo

So a standard fighter would have...

*material 1
-Fighter_base
-Fighter_glow
-Fighter_shine

*material 2
--Glass
--Glass_shine

*material 3
---Cockpit
---Cockpit_Glow

Just curious what should be what - ought I to be using Metal, Blinn, Phong, Strauss, or something else? And what extra mapping slots do the glow and shine maps fill? (Self-illumination, reflection, what?)
MechaSentient
Sometimes, people change.
Sometimes, they upgrade.
(Online webcomic - updates M/W/F)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Is the ship all one object? There is no way that that should work fine. The HTL engine works best with one texture per object. 17 is horribly too many, and by all accounts shouldnt work....

Actually, if he's using RC7 or something he got away with it. RC7 and dot9 don't seem to care how many textures a model has, or how screwed up the model itself is, which explains why i've been able to get the Star Trek ships working without too many incidents...
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What do I do with the blank data file thing?

Offline Tempest

Look up top for a revised version!
-Axem

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
If you have mappage of two sides on a model that uses the flipped version of the same texture, simply delete that half of the model and then copy your existing half and MIRROR it! that will get rid of some duplicate maps that use separate entries. Granted text or numbers get screwed but this is just for normal textures...

Try that when you got like 109 textures and need to get down to 16 :P ...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Tempest

Huh? It only uses 10 textures. You must remember to disregard many of the above comments because that was about the old version. This one works fine ingame.
-Axem