Author Topic: Missing Prometheus?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Quick question.  I started a news FS2 campaign a while back, and I've gotten into the third act missions and the Prometheus (R and S variants) are entirely missing from the missions where they should be available (i.e. Argonautica).  They are both available in the mission simultator though.  Guessing this is a profile problem perhaps (seems odd though as the profile was created on this build with these media VPs).  Anyway to fix this problem, besides creating a new profile?  I REALLY do not want to replace Acts I and II again.

Build 3.6.9, latest media VPs + patches are installed.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Tell me which mission you're up to and I can build you a campaign file to start you from there. That way you'll only lose whatever rank you had if you make a new pilot.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Tell me which mission you're up to and I can build you a campaign file to start you from there. That way you'll only lose whatever rank you had if you make a new pilot.

I'm on Exodus now... I managed to get through with the Maxim+Circe, and now I've got Kaysers available.

It'd be appreciated though.  Is there no editing tool for SCP player profiles?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There isn't AFAIK. Not much point in writing one until Taylor finishes his pilot file changes either as things might change around a bit.

Anyway

1). Restart your campaign from the campaign room.
2). Download this file and extract it to mediavpsDataMissions (assuming you have a mediavps folder. If not extract to dataMissions).
3). Restart the campaign again (not certain you need this but it will take you all of 5 seconds).
4). Once you've completed the game remember to find and delete the freespace2.fc2 file that you installed in step 2.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
There isn't AFAIK. Not much point in writing one until Taylor finishes his pilot file changes either as things might change around a bit.

Anyway

1). Restart your campaign from the campaign room.
2). Download this file and extract it to mediavpsDataMissions (assuming you have a mediavps folder. If not extract to dataMissions).
3). Restart the campaign again (not certain you need this but it will take you all of 5 seconds).
4). Once you've completed the game remember to find and delete the freespace2.fc2 file that you installed in step 2.

Thanks much!

Offline Beanboy

I'm having a similar problem in FSPort with my Avenger missing...

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,43761.0.html

What do I need to do to fix this issue??  Many thanks!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically you'd need to extract the campaign file and delete all the missions up until the one you're on then add all the ships and weapons that you should have to the initial allowed weapons and ships entries.

It's a piece of piss for me to do this for FS2 because I already have the data I need. I never got around to doing the same thing for FS1 though which would make it a lot harder for me to build you a campaign file for this one too.  :(

Just out of interest what build of FS2_Open are you and MP-Ryan using? Have either of you recently changed builds? Have you used the pilot file that broke on the older build?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:50:19 pm by karajorma »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I encountered a similar problem. It was caused by me accidentally selecting my main pilot with Inferno loaded. :nervous:

I tried to quit out immediately, but, as soon as I switched back to main FS2 and tried to play The Sicilian Defense, I found I had no bombers, nor bombs, so the mission was unplayable.

I can't wait for the updated pilot code. :(
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Basically you'd need to extract the campaign file and delete all the missions up until the one you're on then add all the ships and weapons that you should have to the initial allowed weapons and ships entries.

It's a piece of piss for me to do this for FS2 because I already have the data I need. I never got around to doing the same thing for FS1 though which would make it a lot harder for me to build you a campaign file for this one too.  :(

Just out of interest what build of FS2_Open are you and MP-Ryan using? Have either of you recently changed builds? Have you used the pilot file that broke on the older build?

I'm currently using 3.6.9 RC7.9

However, I was running 3.6.9 RC7 (from the thread where it was first released) when I started the campaign that broke, and it broke before I switch to .9

I thought it was odd that the Prometheus was missing from the campaign, but not the mission simulators.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nah. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

The game has two lists of allowed weapons. There is one for the entire campaign and one for the mission. The mission list states what particular ships you can fly in that mission. For example in some missions it would be disastrous for the plotline if the player could fly a bomber because they could destroy a plot critical ship like the Iceni or fly Terran ships during the vasudan missions. For this reason each mission only allows you certain ships.

The campaign list on the other hand is basically for unlocking ships. For instance the SOC missions unlock ships you can't fly otherwise. They're present in the mission file but when playing the campaign you aren't able to access them cause they aren't unlocked.

The techroom on the other hand doesn't care what you've unlocked as it's there mainly for replaying missions you enjoyed and playtesting.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Nah. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

The game has two lists of allowed weapons. There is one for the entire campaign and one for the mission. The mission list states what particular ships you can fly in that mission. For example in some missions it would be disastrous for the plotline if the player could fly a bomber because they could destroy a plot critical ship like the Iceni or fly Terran ships during the vasudan missions. For this reason each mission only allows you certain ships.

The campaign list on the other hand is basically for unlocking ships. For instance the SOC missions unlock ships you can't fly otherwise. They're present in the mission file but when playing the campaign you aren't able to access them cause they aren't unlocked.

The techroom on the other hand doesn't care what you've unlocked as it's there mainly for replaying missions you enjoyed and playtesting.

So how do you figure it wiped out the Prometheus S for the entire campaign?  It didn't show up in ANY of the missions it normally does (this was about my fifth time playing through the original campaign, first time on 3.6.9).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Pilot file corruption. The pilot file keeps track of what has been allowed and it can become corrupted because it was never made with FS2_Open in mind.

The code is being rewritten for FSO 3.7 though and hopefully once that is out we can say good bye to this problem forever :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Pilot file corruption. The pilot file keeps track of what has been allowed and it can become corrupted because it was never made with FS2_Open in mind.

The code is being rewritten for FSO 3.7 though and hopefully once that is out we can say good bye to this problem forever :)

Think that will fix the issue with skipping missions?

Drives me crazy... fail a mission 5 times on insane, tell it not to skip or show message again, fail it a few more times and give up for a while... then when you go back to it, you find that you've been skipped to the next mission.  Pain in the rear end...