Author Topic: HELP! The MediaVPs are totally MESSED AND IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!  (Read 6437 times)

HELP! The MediaVPs are totally MESSED AND IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!
Yo all.  First off I wanna say that this looks like it could be amazing if I could only get the damn thing to work! ARG!  I am literally tearing my hair out here, you guys are my last hope.

So here's what happens.  Basically I can run the open source files, and run the game fine with enhanced lighting and whatnot., anything that doesn't require a .vp file.  However as soon as I try to run ANY of the .vp files as a mod I either get missing textures and models or it crashes in the weapon loadout screen.

I noticed I wasn't getting any shockwaves and stuff didn't look as good as it should have.  Asteroids were missing, stuff like that.  Obviously I can't play a mission if half of the models are missing, among other things.

If I run debug mode I will get these errors...

"Warning: Couldn't open particle texture "Yellow_glow"
referenced by weapon "Standard Flak"

File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.rc7dot8\code\Weapon\Weapons.cpp
Line: 3197
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this excecutable]

Call stack:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_weaponstbl()        parse_modular_table()      weapon_init()    game_init()        game_main()          WinMain()       WinMainCRTStartup()    Kernel32.dll 7d4e992a()
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Use yes to break into Debugger, No to continue
and Cancel to Quit"

Now mind you, it does this several times in succession, and then will go to the login screen.  I attempt to continue the campaign and get an error that the shockwave file cannot be opened, same error as above, different wording.  It also does this for "green_flow2_small", "red_glow_small", "blue_glow4_small", "green_glow2_small", "cyan_glow_small", and about 20 others.  I pretty much click "no" about 40 times because it can't load any of the textures and some of the models.  Basically I'm stumped, I thought I could figure it out on my own but I could not.

Here is what I've done to try and fix it...

Re-installed all video card drivers
Re-downloaded all .vp files
Deleting them one by one to try and isolate the file
Played around for hours with settings in the launcher
Tried other versions of open source
Cursing to god to get it to work

I know what I am doing computer wise, everything is set up to go and should work fine.  I am fairly certain everything is in the right place.  I can't even begin to fathom why I am having these errors.

My system specs...

Conroe E6600
2 gigs ram
X-fi soundcard
Geforce 7950gx2

I think that's all you need.  The system is kept in a good clean working condition, all other games run fine.  I am truly stumped.

Anyways, this is one of my favorite games and I almost splooged when I saw these updates.  I'd really like to get it working.

So... thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:46:49 am by Lifehost »

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: HELP! The MediaVPs are totally MESSED AND IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!
Which version of FSopen are you using? You should be using 3.6.9 RC7 (I think that's the latest version). Have you downloaded the 710 patches? Can you give us a screen print of your Freespace folder so that we can see that everything is in the right places. Have you read Karajorma's FAQ?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Yes, yes and yes.

I am using 3.6.9 RC7.9, 710 patches are in there as well.  Have tried RC7, RC7.8, 3.6.8, 3.6.7, everything.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure I followed the directions, it seems like a no brainer.  I've tried everything short of re-installing the entire game, and I doubt that would accomplish much (never really has for me).

Screenshot attached...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
@wobble73
Whoomp - there it is!

No mod.ini file to refrence the where the mediavps are at....  You might want to try putting the MediaVP's into the root folder just to test to see if they'll work after that.  I'm new to the mod.ini files, so I wouldnt' be the best help on this.  But I'm noticing the lack of that particular file. 

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
@wobble73
Whoomp - there it is!

No mod.ini file to refrence the where the mediavps are at....  You might want to try putting the MediaVP's into the root folder just to test to see if they'll work after that.  I'm new to the mod.ini files, so I wouldnt' be the best help on this.  But I'm noticing the lack of that particular file. 

I didn't realise he was playing a mod, I just assumed he was choosing his mediaVPs folder in mod selection and therefore didn't need a mod.ini? Am I wrong here?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Nope, putting them in the root folder gives me the same error.  Except now when the error message comes up, instead of C:\ it says J:\, which is the letter name designated to my IPOD... WTF?  I unplugged it and it STILL shows up as J:\.

Am I missing something here?

Also, I DO just have them in the mediavps folder and have it as the selection as the mod in the launcher.  I really don't see what I'm doing wrong...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:54:09 am by Lifehost »

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
you're running the FS2_open exe from the freespace directory right?  First thing that tipped me off is where the actual executable was being called from.... 

you're running the FS2_open exe from the freespace directory right?  First thing that tipped me off is where the actual executable was being called from.... 

Most Definitely.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Err, what? :confused:

Warning: Couldn't open particle texture "Yellow_glow"
referenced by weapon "Standard Flak"

Line: 3197
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this excecutable]

Call stack:
    parse_weaponstbl()        parse_modular_table()      weapon_init()    game_init()        game_main()          WinMain()       WinMainCRTStartup()    Kernel32.dll 7d4e992a()

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Use yes to break into Debugger, No to continue
and Cancel to Quit

AFAIK that file (Weapons.cpp) is part of the source, which is compiled into an executable along with all the other code... I don't think that has anything to do with mod.ini files.

Mod.ini files are used to

1. make it easier to use multiple mod directories and
2. display some information about the mod in the Launcher.

Game-wise, they basically add some lines into command line, according to what stands in their primary and secondary mod arrays... If he has told the game to use MediaVP's via Launcher, there is no reason to use any mod.ini file. Actually, since he doesn't have any other mods (yet), use of a mod.ini file would be even more unpurposed and it could potentially even screw things up more.

As far as I can see, all files should be there... Lifehost, what happens if you try running the game(or perhaps even debug build) without MediaVP's, so that just the retail graphics are used?

If that works all right, you should perhaps consider re-downloading the MediaVP files. Maybe they are corrupted somehow?

If you encounter similar errors with retail graphics, something else is wrong. In which case, someone more qualified (read: taylor, karajorma et al)

Putting the MediaVP's into the root directory won't probably solve anything - most likely it will make it impossible to play with retail behaviour, since the game tries to use the MediaVP's even if you don't tell it to do so, and if the VP's don't work as they should, they simply won't work regardless of where you put them.

As you already noticed. So, if the retail behaiviour (no MediaVP's) work all right, I would recommend re-downloading the MediaVP files.

You could also try to first run only mv_core.vp, and then use only for example mv_models.vp with core, then only mv_textures.vp and the core vp and so on. That way you could probably find the b0rked file.

If you think this is slow, just take the effects and adveffects off the folder and try enabling the mediaVP's without them. The error talked something about weapons and AFAIK the weapons stuff is in the effects/adveffects VP's.

Good luck...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Where did you get your media VPs from? The same thread the 710 patches are on? Cause if you use the 710 patches with the 3.6.7 media VPs (which are the ones on the official SCP site) intead of the 3.6.8 Zeta ones you will get this error.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Damn it, Kara beat me to it, that was my next question, (Which MediaVPs he was using?)

BTW Lifehost.....

:welcome:

Welcome to HLP Station, May your stay here be pleasant. Please be aware that our resident tame Shivan, Carl, lurks in the air ducts, if you happen to see him, back away carefully, toss him your lunch and pray that he isn't hungry. In the event of an emergency, the plasma rifle is stored under your seat. However, due to budget cuts, the napalm has been replaced with holy water! Access to the weapons lockers is restricted to Admins/Moderators, :v: and The Hyper Intelligent Shade Of Blue. Mention of a third instalment of our favourite game is prohibited as are any combination of the characters eff ess three. Should this station develop a serious fault, please board an escape pod which has been programmed to take you to our sister station Game Warden. Please try to avoid all flame wars that can flare up at any time in various parts of the station and once again enjoy your stay!

And to those who don't like the welcome speech...... :P

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
Looking at my install of FS2, which I'm currently using the ShivanSPS package, if you deselect your mod, you will not use any new effects, it's just retail in itself.  In the launcher, there's nowhere to tell it to look for the media vp's if the VP's reside in another folder.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  When using mod.ini files, you can put your MVP's in one single folder, and use the "secondarylist" line to point the launcher where to look for the MVP's.  Without it, it just runs what mod is in that folder you've selected and the base VPs.... isn't that right?

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Looking at my install of FS2, which I'm currently using the ShivanSPS package, if you deselect your mod, you will not use any new effects, it's just retail in itself.  In the launcher, there's nowhere to tell it to look for the media vp's if the VP's reside in another folder.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  When using mod.ini files, you can put your MVP's in one single folder, and use the "secondarylist" line to point the launcher where to look for the MVP's.  Without it, it just runs what mod is in that folder you've selected and the base VPs.... isn't that right?

Correct, but as he is only playing the Main FreeSpace2 Campaign, he doesn't need a mod.ini as his main mod is his mediaVPs file, so he just selects his mediaVPs folder as his mod within the launcher.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
In the launcher, there's nowhere to tell it to look for the media vp's if the VP's reside in another folder.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Custom command line FTW.

Say, you want to use SCP-Derelict and mediaVP's together, but you can't bother to make/edit the mod.ini file in Derelict directory. So you can skip the Mod tab in the Launcher entirely (if you know what you're doing) and simply add the mod directories into the command line, like this:

-mod Derelict,mediaVPs

...which is exactly what mod.ini files do. :p Just mind the spelling, because if the spelling is wrong, the game just ignores the (nonexistant) mod folders with no announcements whatsoever.

To tell the truth, I often simply use the custom command line to enable multiple mod directories. The alternative is to edit the secondary mod list in a mod.ini file, then enable that directory as a mod, but the command line tool is actually faster and easier to use. :D
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The command line is far faster to use once. If you are constantly swapping between campaigns then it's quicker to use a mod.ini file.

Hmm...

I also thought that the mediavps might be corrupt, so I went to the 3.6.8 Zeta thread and re downloaded every single one (thank you sweet jesus for high speed!)

The original install was using the SPC installer released on the 10th.  So I'm going to rule both of those out.  I went through each of them as well and it seems that textures, models and effects are mostly to blame.  I can't imagine why though.

If a solution can't be found, I will try downloading the 2 gig torrent of the full game from that thread, 1.5c or whatever.  That might be optimal.

BTW thanks for the welcome, sure hope I can get this running...

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I don't see it listed anywhere already, so, what exactly are the cmdline options you are using?

What I'm specifically interested in is whether you are using either -jpgtga or -img2dds.

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9_debug-7dot9.exe -mod Media_VPs -spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload

That's what I would LIKE to run it with.  I've tried with all of the command lines disabled and it still does the same thing.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Try turning on TGA and JPG textures. Incidentally why are you running the debug build anyway?

Right from the start I thought that even if that error does appear it was a debug error.

I am just re-installing everything, I will try turning on those textures.

With the normal open .exe file it does not show the errors.  I just realized something was seriously wrong by the time I got to the the 3rd or fourth mission.  I had to run Debug mode to get any error notification whatosever.