Author Topic: FIREFLY MMORPG!!!  (Read 5981 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Another case of deliberate SF show sabotage is "Battlestar Galactica: 1980"

First off, the name. Tacking the current year onto it = certain doom for it. (And predated Windows 1995 by 15 years! ;) ) What was ABC gonna do if by some miracle it was a hit and they went for a second season in 1981?

Second, there's an interview with the two writers ABC put on BSG:80 where they say they purposely wrote crap scripts and had a bet going on how soon the ratings would take a nosedive so the show would get canceled. Poke around the web, the interview is out there.

What the networks want when it comes to SF&F shows is the viewer base that "The X-Files" or "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" had at their height- by the first episode and zero drop for later episodes. If a SF&F show can't do that despite minimal (and misleading) promotion and being stuck in the week's worst timeslot, well then it must not have been any good to start with, right?

What is it going to take to get the network executives to learn how to handle shows that appeal to just about all types of people? Just the other day I read an article about how the aging 'baby boom' generation is getting P-O'ed at TV for not moving along with their aging/changing tastes. The industry (especially broadcast TV) keeps trying the same old whacking off for the 18-30-ish male audience. They seem to have no clue at all why broadcast TV has an ever increasing 'leakage' of viewers to cable and satellite television.

Oh well, the inventor of all-electroninc Television Philo T. Farnsworth would say it's all crap anyway. ;) The only thing he ever saw on his invention that he thought was any good was the Apollo moon landings. While watching Apollo 11 news coverage he told his wife, Pem, "This makes it all worthwhile." Too bad he died in 1971.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Another case of deliberate SF show sabotage is "Battlestar Galactica: 1980"
Everybody knows that never actually existed, it was all a bad dream. A very, very bad dream.

Offline Inquisitor

You mean the Cylons didn't land on earth Halloween night and get invited to a costume party?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:56:31 pm by Inquisitor »
No signature.

It'd be awesome if they made one aobut the War of Independence

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

1. not all trekkies are zealots, I loathe and despise most of voyager, and all of enterprise,

Did you watch Seasons 3 and (in particular) 4 of Enterprise?

yes, I know what mannie coto did, and I know he not only ruined what hop of being within continuity enterprise had, but he threw away perfectly decent explanations for things that were only mysteries because most trekkies were unwilling to dig into offscreen canon materials < I USED to be a zealot>

I despise enterprise and latter voyager because I used to be a zealot and further because they couldn't just let it be what it was

tng was fine with bad writing, ds9 had good writing at times which was spectacular, voyager could have been fie with bad writing IF they had let it remain star trek, but they did not let it remain star trek, they changed it into something entirely different that people still believed was star trek because it had some of the same people working on it and was part of the franchise, but it had lost the resonance that made a show star trek

enterprise, not only being terribly written, having no semlance of continuity to itself, or other star trek, and I mean for the love of god, jolene blalock couldn't play a vulcan to save her life so they had to write around how emotional she came off

mark lenard, now that S.O.B. could play a vulcan

I mean, for the love of god, they encountered god damn ferengie

no one has a problem with that?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wait, wait...   Manny Coto ruined continuity in Enterprise? Which parallel universe are you from, again?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Isn't it zealot-ish to 'despise'  a TV programme?

Watch War of the Worlds the TV series and then try saying that with a straight face.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Bet your sweet arse I had a problem with Ferengi in 'Enterprise'! It had already been established that Picard made first contact (badly) with the Ferengi how many hundred years further up the ST timeline?

Too far advanced technology, meeting aliens that weren't first encountered until a looooong time later in what pitiful excuse the franchise has for continuity, just two of the strikes against 'Enterpise'.  :hopping:

Where were the miniskirts, thigh-high boots black vinyl and satin finish chrome accents on the hardware?! (But not miniskirts and boots on the hardware, that would just be wrong.  ::) )
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Bet your sweet arse I had a problem with Ferengi in 'Enterprise'! It had already been established that Picard made first contact (badly) with the Ferengi how many hundred years further up the ST timeline?

Too far advanced technology, meeting aliens that weren't first encountered until a looooong time later in what pitiful excuse the franchise has for continuity, just two of the strikes against 'Enterpise'.  :hopping:

Where were the miniskirts, thigh-high boots black vinyl and satin finish chrome accents on the hardware?! (But not miniskirts and boots on the hardware, that would just be wrong.  ::) )

Ok, since apparently you're unaware... Manny Coto only took the reins of Enterprise in the 4th season. Blame for seasons 1-3 can be landed firmly on the shoulders of B&B.

Now, go rewatch season 4 and tell me Manny Coto screwed it up. :wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I'm sorry they didn't let Enterprise try for at least one more season.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Meh, it was dwindling already. But yea, it'd be nice if they had another one. But then again, we'd just be sitting there saying, "it'd be nice if they had another one."

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Actually, have Bakula (Archer) wake up in his quarters at Starfleet Command. Look over at the "Green" bottle on his nightstand now 3/4 empty, grab his head and say, "Thank GOD it was all a BAD dream!".

Begin new FIRST season of Enterprise as he takes command of his new warp 5 ship. :)

(This rabid Trekkie says use the erase button big time!)   :lol:

SPACE RANGERS FTW!!! (Stretch the pilot got hired to be Number "2" of Free Mars in Bab5 if anyone remembers...)

SAAB was a near Babylon5 cut down in it's Prime.

Whoever just mentioned "That which should NOT be mentioned." Needs a beatdown.  ;7

Honestly, the executives wanted Galactica but on only 10% of the existing budget. Aside from that, throw in ****ty scripts, Actors who didn't give a crap about the roles, and film it "on Earth" to save even more production value, plus they screwed the great timeslot the use to have... (Hey if the Bradys can go camping we can do one better, SPACE CAMPERS!) - gag...

Man I remember the first time I saw one of those little F-er's jump 20feet into a tree I was like WTF???

Did these people even watch the previous episodes? The "Heavy Worlder" idea is fine (look at Dylan Hunt, but you don't see him doing super human feats, he's reasonable).

Ten minutes of heavy exertion on Paradine (the Terra episode) and Starbuck was on the ground like a fish out of water. (please help me!)  :lol:

The only good thing was a nice dose of good ole Ecoli or toxic waste you and I deal with everyday can drop those kids...  :drevil:

I need to shower again.. My brain feels dirty...  ;)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)