Author Topic: I joined the WoW  (Read 9509 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yes, it is kinda sad that majority of current WoW players seems to consist of elitist raiders or jerks.

Help me out here...what exactly is a "raider" and how would they be elitist?

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
A raider is someone who runs dungeons in large groups, usually made up of 20-40 players.  They're elitist because they have the best gear in the game and think they're better that all the other players.  Sometimes you can ask them a simple yes or no question and not even get an answer... 

I used to do the 40 man raids, but the base one (Molten Core) takes 5 hours to complete, and only 3-4 pieces of gear would drop.  It got so boring, running a dungeon for 5 hours for weeks only to get nothing.  I just quit after 3 weeks.  Couldn't stand the repetition.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Indeed. It's when you hit lvl 60 when WoW becomes boring and repetitive. The endless grinding for über equipment in instances that can take many hours to complete is just insane.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be fair, EVE in some cases isn't much better, although it can be solo'd. Doing a L4 Angel Extravanganza solo requires a great deal of patience, and your margin for error is almost nonexistant, mind, but it can be done. There's a very real possiblity all the drops will be crud though.

Probably a 6/10 or 5/10 deadspace complex is a better example. You need someone else along just to pick up the loot or carry extra ammo, and the bosses tend to be murderous without help. I grant I've gotten as far as stage three in a 6/10 alone, but I gutted my ship to do it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline miskat

I know I did used to love doing the deadspace complexes.  XD

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
A raider is someone who runs dungeons in large groups, usually made up of 20-40 players.  They're elitist because they have the best gear in the game and think they're better that all the other players.  Sometimes you can ask them a simple yes or no question and not even get an answer... 

I used to do the 40 man raids, but the base one (Molten Core) takes 5 hours to complete, and only 3-4 pieces of gear would drop.  It got so boring, running a dungeon for 5 hours for weeks only to get nothing.  I just quit after 3 weeks.  Couldn't stand the repetition.

Well of course it'll take 5 hours to do MC if your guild is newbie, or if it sucks. Once you guys run it a bunch and learn the game a bit, get some better gear, it'll be easier.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Jeryko

I'm on US Stormrage  :)

But also play EvE.
JBX-Phoenix

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I started playing WoW again after 8 months now that the new patch is out. I again find myself enjoying the game, at least as long as I don't play too much it. :)

I was playing the game yesterday and my younger sister's kids were here, her 5 year old son asked me "What pirate game is this?" when he saw my warlock and voidwalker. :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:03:07 pm by Fury »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
WoW is fun... until you hit level 60.

I've thought about making a Blood Elf for the expansion, but with no new 30-50 content (as in a dungeon or two with associated quests) it'd be pretty nightmarishingly boring.

So I'll stick to my Alliance and Horde characters, hell I might not even level my Alliance Warlock to 70 if it takes too long. (though I love Warlocks)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
well, i'll bump this thread instead of my own.

I just started playing (free trial) and honestly...i don't get it.  For the solo warrior, it just plain is crap.  especially starting out.  like you get too many baddies on and your dead...the quest are stupid...go kill princess the pig...like really...

ok, rage vented abit.

but really...I see no reason to pay $20 a month (canadian) to play this.  there's no point!  and if there is one and i haven't gotten to it yet...well thats a problem.  I want to be engaged...and Warcraft is such the perfect environment for an epic story, Alliance and Horde battling it out (which i understand is there...you just have to have to get to a high level...).  but for your players starting out...hey look...boars!  like come on!  and why do quest featuring a higher level baddie open before your of that level?  as soon as more then 1 attacks, you die.  its very unbalanced for those who want to solo.  But its the lack of engagement that gets me...and why i won't be giving blizzard my money. actually its a problem i've had in the limited other  RPGs and MMORPGs I've played (EVE, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Oblivion) all it is is leveling...

its a fine concept.  but only if the gameplay is awesome all the way along.  and really...i don't care about boars and bears and kobols...I want to get  online and go to war.  I want to kick some orc rear end, save the kingdom, and play with cool toys.  if i can do it with friends, all the better!  I want to be battling level 9 orcs at level 9 and level 60 orcs at level 60, the significance of the battles increasing...

but no, what i get are meaningless quests, pointless runs for some gear that makes no sense...etc etc.

so far KOTOR and its sequel are the only rpgs that kept my interest long enough to finish.

is it just me?  or was anyone else hoping to find the epic feel of the LOTR and is disapointed with the experience?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Warriors aren't that good for soloing, especially at early levels, warriors are the most gear-dependent class. If you favor soloing, I strongly suggest rolling either hunter or warlock which are very good soloers. If you don't like these classes, then consider paladin which is quite close to a warrior.

Apparently it is PvP what you're after. So I suggest you roll a character on PVP server where when you're in a contested zone, you may be attacked by opposing faction's player at any time. But to kick orc butts, you need to go into battlegrounds. Read the details here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/#pvp

If you don't want to be a target at all time to opposing faction's players when you're in contested zones, roll a character in a PvE server where you're in control when you want PvP.

and why do quest featuring a higher level baddie open before your of that level?  as soon as more then 1 attacks, you die. 
Sounds like you ended up in wrong zone or an area in a zone, either you misread quest text or the quest in your quest log is red. I don't suggest doing quests that are red in colour. Orange, yellow and greens are usually soloable except for elite and dungeon quests.

But it sounds like WoW is not for you. You want to be engaged in a story and want to have a meaningful character to play with. WoW won't offer either of these. The world is practically frozen in time, stories and lore won't progress until Blizzard moves it forward if it ever happens. Every player, new or old is able to do the very same content. And face it, in an MMORPG your character won't have any real impact to the game world. You're just one adventurer among hundreds, thousands, even millions of other players.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's the exact reason that I'm so looking forward to the release of Myst Online: Uru Live via Gametap; it's pretty much the only massively-multiplayer anything I'd ever consider playing.  No levels, no quests, no NPCs, just you and a bunch of fellow explorers in the ruins of a lost civilization participating in an evolving storyline.  A game where the creator of the whole series (Rand Miller) and the developers regularly come in-game to interact with players, where the "characters" are actual flesh-and-blood actors, and where the action/inaction of individual players can actually impact how the story plays out is really a nice alternative to running instances and gaining XP.  Maybe this is more up your alley, Thor.

(Pardon the intrusion, but the ten-years-and-counting obsessive Myst fan in me thought that this might be the right place for a bit of pimpage. :p)

P.S. For anyone who's never heard of it, Uru Live is a massive multiplayer game set in the Myst storyline that was intended to be launched a few years ago; unfortunately, due to somewhat lackluster beta numbers, Ubisoft pulled the plug on the project before the full version began.  After a few years during which the game was kept alive via small fan-run servers, Cyan and Gametap worked out a deal to collaborate on re-launching it.  As a side note, Cyan is one of the most fan-friendly developers I've ever heard of; not only do they stay in touch with their fans via forums on a daily basis, they even go so far as to hold an annual party at their Spokane headquarters for anyone who wants to make the trip.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Warriors aren't that good for soloing, especially at early levels, warriors are the most gear-dependent class. If you favor soloing, I strongly suggest rolling either hunter or warlock which are very good soloers. If you don't like these classes, then consider paladin which is quite close to a warrior.

Apparently it is PvP what you're after. So I suggest you roll a character on PVP server where when you're in a contested zone, you may be attacked by opposing faction's player at any time. But to kick orc butts, you need to go into battlegrounds. Read the details here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/#pvp

If you don't want to be a target at all time to opposing faction's players when you're in contested zones, roll a character in a PvE server where you're in control when you want PvP.

and why do quest featuring a higher level baddie open before your of that level?  as soon as more then 1 attacks, you die. 
Sounds like you ended up in wrong zone or an area in a zone, either you misread quest text or the quest in your quest log is red. I don't suggest doing quests that are red in colour. Orange, yellow and greens are usually soloable except for elite and dungeon quests.

But it sounds like WoW is not for you. You want to be engaged in a story and want to have a meaningful character to play with. WoW won't offer either of these. The world is practically frozen in time, stories and lore won't progress until Blizzard moves it forward if it ever happens. Every player, new or old is able to do the very same content. And face it, in an MMORPG your character won't have any real impact to the game world. You're just one adventurer among hundreds, thousands, even millions of other players.

inversely, shamans are a good class to use, particularly with the advent of burning crusade, good for soloing, solid party abilities, devastating in PVP if you're a spellcaster.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
since the last post, i've re started on a new server, with some friends.

this time around its a very nice paladin.  and things have been going better. however, the bottom line problem i have with it still exists, and shall never go away, its just too freaking expensive. 

and such is my experiment with WoW. 

very good observations Fury, right on the money.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Every player, new or old is able to do the very same content. And face it, in an MMORPG your character won't have any real impact to the game world. You're just one adventurer among hundreds, thousands, even millions of other players.

On the first part, no. Definately and unequivocably no.

Content, especially early on, depends heavilly on your chosen race and class. If you're a Human Warrior you're not going to have much unique content. A Tauren Druid or Undead Warlock? Tons of things only a few will ever see.

As for not having an impact, there is a concerted effort to make it seem like things you do matter but they're generally small things or tied more to end-game quests. The same applies to 'plot advancement.' (things like the heads of certain villains on pikes in Orgrimmar, unveiling a dragon in disguise, etc.)

The main trick with the plot is suspending your disbelief when occassionally you see the event trigger for other players. But really you do change the gameworld in how NPCs interact at least as much as in an RPG like Oblivion. (which probably goes to show how little you really effect the world in a lot of these games)

You want an experience that makes you feel special? Play a Warlock or Shaman. If you're a Warlock be sure to do some of the insanely hard, rarely done quests like the ones to get a Felsteed or a Doomguard summoning ritual. You'll feel special, others will know you're special, and you'll melt people's faces off who don't bow down ;)

But seriously, if you want to feel better in a game like this pick the less used classes and race combos because you'll find more interesting content tossed in specifically for those players. An interesting side effect of hand-done worlds with developers with pet favorites.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Snail

• SC 5
(I haven't read much of this thread)

WoW is addicting and it can make your grades dip. I know someone who got addicted and failed his exams twice.

But he's happy. :)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Grades dip? My grades seem proportional to how much WoW I play.

Took 6 courses (30 credits) and levelled my Warlock to 60 and got straight As. :p
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Centrixo

WoW is based on grinding the, whole 9 yards. i played on the free version and after just 1 hour it was soo dull, the community is absoutly horrible, gameplay is crap, gui is better and not as complex(created by blizzard and is a standard). i left that game and couldnt wait to see the end of it.

i played eve for 30 day trial, and it was boring. waiting for skills, the time travvelling 1 station to another, no real fighting involved(say what you want, but fs2 is far more better on fighting), plus the price tag for a account.
so overall the community is mediocre, gameplay is ok, gui is too dull and complex(too many little buttons to press too many screens). so i dumped that game and never went back.

i recently played Ryzom and its limited to a certain amount, invisible walls and the mining is a real pain but the community is great, gameplay is ok, the gui is ok and half decent(could be because the game is european made i dont know), i left that game after i found out it went under and in the red. im waiting for its new owners to take over and il be back on that game again.

thats my thoughts, so say what you must but there staying here until this forum gets old and dilapidated :D.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
You do know that the yellow exclamation mark involves a little thing called quests, and that you can pick and chose ones that don't involve grinding :p

Also, if it's that tedious play it less and use the resting experience bonus so you level faster.

Now for the end game? It's a boring grind with a horrible community due to the raiding BS. But for 1-60 it's pretty decent.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock